UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Speying A Pregnant Dog

cheryl33

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice one - i is not allowed to post there... :laugh:

If its not detrimental to the bitches health, spay her every time, aborting the puppies.

I will go further to say if raising a litter, or raising a LARGE litter is detrimental to the bitches health (ie shes ill/very underweight/very young), then PTS all but two of the pups asap after birth.

You might think thats cruel but the bitch has two pups to raise so really wont notice, each pup has a litter mate so thats quite 'normal' for those remaining two, and the burden on an ill or weak or young (or old) dog is lessened and of course there are then just two pups to rehome, instead of perhaps 10 or more.

Whether i could actually do that myself, i dont know - if it was far too late to spay a bitch and she really would suffer raising a large litter herself, and finding a foster mother was unlikely, then i think i would.

oooo lemme think...if we had a pregnant sbt or whatever what would i do...??!

SPAY!

hands down. Unless medical reason not to then spay. Another litter of unwanted we dont need. Id rather the dog wasnt pregnant in the first place but to allow a litter to be born allows the same no of dogs to die.

We've done it with cats who are not too far along in their pregnancy but I couldn't and we don't do it towards the end of the pregnancy unless the cat is at risk. It's a matter for my conscience. When I worked in a vets I saw a late abortion on a cat, it wasn't pleasant, the kittens were euthanased and the staff hated doing it. Of course we'd all like to see more animals neutered so this situation didn't occur but for me there comes a point where it's too late.

Does the breed make a difference? Say it's a pregnant Cavalier or Bichon - would the decision be different?

Not to me but its not something i can really answer as i dont deal with those dogs. I think if the dogs in good health and IF the breed was a sort after breed then there MAY be reason not to spay...having said that tho, if the dog ended up in a rescue that one wasnt wanted so why should a litter be allowed to suffer the same fate? The type we deal with are hardly in short *supply* so its a very simple question for us and one i beleive every rescue should follow (tho i cant make em!)

It depends how far into pregnancy the bitch is. If the pups are viable then no I don't think the bitch should be spayed.

Neither do I think the puppies should be put to sleep after they are born. If the bitch is unable to rear them alone then humans can help.

It depends how far into pregnancy the bitch is. If the pups are viable then no I don't think the bitch should be spayed.

Neither do I think the puppies should be put to sleep after they are born. If the bitch is unable to rear them alone then humans can help.

Exactly what I was going to say.

Early pregnancy then yes spay. Viable pups no way. And no way would I agree with culling any puppies. If Mum cannot cope, humans can handrear.

Having seen a bitch that had an abortion and how her hormones never went back down, I would let her have the puppies but reduce the size of the litter to 2 puppies. Mum then goes through her normal cycle and doesn't spend the rest of her life with raging hormones.

What is the difference in aborting the puppies and pts them at birth?

if you spay early enough the hormones are not raging just gently simmering and i could not pts puppies that have come through the birthing process and survived once here you deal with them (i have handreared over 70) but if there is an opportunity without harming the bitch to prevent next years unwanteds i grasp it with both hands

the difference in abortion is that the puppies are not viable and unable to live with pts they are allowed their first breath then stabbed in the heart and euthanased which is something my concience would not allow me to let happen that is not a dig at those that would take this route i think we all have to do what we personally are comfortable with

edited cos im a numpty

Edited by M.E.L.F.