UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Disgusted At Marines Selling Their Stories.

Kathyw

When Faye's parents didn't speak to the media, I sort of had a feeling. Usually I would just assume the family were very private and didn't like publicity.

Then the news reported that her family were in discussions with the MoD and I said 'she is selling her story, she must be leaving the service.'

Then came the news late last night that all of the marines have been allowed to sell their stories.

I find this disgusting. Most of their story has already been told, will they now, as a few people have said, pack it out with a few lies?

What happens in the bidding war, when one marine gets more money than another?

The iranians will be watching all this hoopla and what happens the next time any of our service personnel are captured? will they be allowed home to maybe sell their stories - I think not.

Four service personnel died - their story is over and not a penny changed hands.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree too. They shouldnt be allowed to do this, its in bad taste and disrespectful to those that lost their lives. But also, like you highlighted Kathy, what message is that giving out to the Iranians? If there is a "next time", they are less likely to release hostages knowing that they could sell their story, so its making a dangerous situation even more dangerous. The MoD shouldve put a stop to this in no uncertain terms.

no you are not alone Kathy - they are planning on pooling the money and sharing it, whilst donating 10% to the service persons fund. I would find it much better if they HAD to sell their story that they might think to give more to support those families who are left behind due to death and diability

x x x

Not sure how I feel about it really? :unsure:

At first I thought it was wrong, but then other hostages (civvie) sell their stories, as do 'hostages of Her Majesty' (MP's included), so bearing that in mind, it doesn't seem so wrong?

Doesn't the 'Service Person's Fund' help ex service people & thier families? :unsure:

plenty of service people do and have done this though, for example the sas bloke who was captured after the first iraq invasion, and i thought it made a very interesting read. I am interested in seeing their story and reading about what they went through, and if they are leaving the armed forces as a result of their capture then they have families and a future to pay for without a full wage coming in.

Im fairly sure if the services thought this could be a threat to future service men and women it would have been stopped long ago.

and if they are leaving the armed forces as a result of their capture then they have families and a future to pay for without a full wage coming in.

For that reason alone I think they're right to sell their stories. If the media are mad enough to pay then why shouldn't these guys take advantage? Some of them have young families to feed. Given the choice of continuing their service and putting themselves at risk again or cashing in and funding the start of a new way of life, goodness I know what I'd chose!

It doesnt sit well that someone can be held hostage,released then make alledgedly £100,000 for selling their story,yet someone else in the same war,gets killed,and their family only gets what the army gives out.

Doesnt sit well at all.

Edited by Dolly

I didn't think that any of them had decided to leave.....Andy McNab was the guy who wrote the book bravo 2 zero and was ostrasiced (sp?) and slated for doing so. Then many others followed suit :rolleyes:

Unfortunately, what sells well here won't have a good impact on any personnel if they are captured in the future.

Yes the service fund does help military families, I just wish it was more then the 10% donation which just seems minimal to me :(

Like everything else, times seem to be changing, in the Forces as well. At one time if you were captured you only gave your Name, Rank and Number and took any form of punishment. Today we seem to 'roll over in submission' when things don't go our way. Families seem really proud when they watch their children/siblings at the 'passing out parade' but as soon as the children/siblings go into conflict they are the first to petticoat dance and demand that they get brought back home again and that they could get hurt in the fighting..................Hello, let's take a reality check, they joined to fight for Queen and Country, not to do an everlasting P.E lesson. You join the Forces then you fight as you are trained to do and when you stop fighting then you carry on training to be even better the next time and not sell your story and leave the forces just because you had a bad time, as the saying goes you, 'pick yourself up, dust yourself down and start all over again'

So I guess no, they shouldn't get a penny. The same way as my Dad didn't get a penny for getting injured whilst in Cyprus and then being sent to Ireland and was told thet he would be fine so long as he didn't run!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :angry:

Sorry i think that's grossly unfair in today's modern society to compare our forces with the "olden days".

They fight for queen and country yes but to say they should say that they should say name and rank and take whatever pushisment is dished out whilst under interrogation and false imprisonment? if that were my child, father, sister, brother, uncle, friend, then I'd want them to lie, cheat, give non sensitive information, and do whatever it took to bloody survive. To die because you were too proud to do more, jesus I'd be more than angry at them.

These guys do us proud and see sights none of us can ever imagine seeing in our lifetimes. If what they do keeps them safe as well as our country and gives them a future, good bloody luck to em. I'll even buy the paper that will pay there fees and if i ever meet em, i'd shake their hands and thank them for their bravery.

I don't have a problem with it. They were not taken prisoner by enemy forces in a war zone. They were kidnapped, falsely accused of entering teritorial waters and paraded on TV as a propaganda stunt. How a comparison can be made with military service personnel being tragically killed in combat situations is beyond me! That comparison I find in worse taste than the idea of them selling their stories.

They fight for queen and country yes but to say they should say that they should say name and rank and take whatever pushisment is dished out whilst under interrogation and false imprisonment? if that were my child, father, sister, brother, uncle, friend, then I'd want them to lie, cheat, give non sensitive information, and do whatever it took to bloody survive. To die because you were too proud to do more, jesus I'd be more than angry at them.

I can understand where you are coming from and, to a certain extent, agree, but to then sell the story of how they falsely announced to the World that they were in a place they shouldn't be which cast doubt on the integrity of the country they were fighting for seems pretty 'off' to me.

Personally, I think I would want to keep quiet and hope the fuss died down quickly because, although I understand why they did what they did, I wouldn't be too proud of doing it. Why the MoD is allowing them to sell their stories beggars belief

Edited by Brierley