UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Disgusted At Marines Selling Their Stories.

Kathyw

what about 'the official secrets act'

i'm still covered by mine, and i haven't been in service for a few years.

i believe they should tell their side of things, but not for several years, when no harm can be done to fellow countrymen/women who could possibly be found in the same situation.

you have to rememeber, these people chose this line of work, and knew the risks they were taking.

there are MANY people, that get taken as hostages, here and abroad, that don't feel the 'need' to tell the world.

i fear that the great 'stiff british upper lip ' is a thing of the past, and we are fast becoming an emotional culture, that needs to show our feelings publically.

for myself.............................. i prefer my enemy, not to know what i'm thinking, or how afraid i might be

Well said. :flowers:

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's fine if you believe that you'll get the truth - whatever that is - from a MOD-censored source. I choose to believe very little of what anyone "official" tells me.

Also, the money is right back in the hands of the media moguls...they don't donate all that money to these people out of charity. It sells papers; end of story. More stories bought from these military personnel = more money for Murdoch, etc.

We're money-obsessed in this country of ours. I agree with KathyW and Tisaan.

I'm not saying that accepting money from any media will guarantee you that they will print/broadcast what you want them to, nor that the fact that the interviewee is being paid will make them tell the truth. What I meant is that I can see the point the MoD is making that this way the story will (mainly) come from one source - that they hope they will be able to control - rather than the postman, his wife and her uncle all being quoted as a "close family friend", making it up as they go along.

I understand now though that the MoD has backtracked and won't allow them to make money out of their story after all.