UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Vulnerable Breeds

Laurel n Hardy

Greyhound because i have one tattoo'd on me to remind me every day of how beautiful and majestic they are and it would be nice for them to 'be saved' for other people to feel the same way i do about them

But i do rather like the setters

Greyhound for me too!!

Oh I have a tattoo of one too!! :biggrin:

This is Shadow......... I will get some more pics sometime, now it's healed and looking so much better!

DSC00312.jpg

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks everyone for your replys so far

I have to say a lot on that list surprised me too

I copied it today at about 2pm from the KC website, so hopefully they will be providing an update asap and remove some of them.

as for myself, I know I said one and one only but I would (theoretically) have the following on my shortlist - in no order of preference

Deerhound

Otterhound

Sealyham Terrier

Well I might have to break the 'rules' of the thread, because I'm not particularly sure that I would want to put any effort or resources into saving a 'vulernable' breed.

I'm passionate about conservation of species that are threatened, but 'dogs' aren't a threatened species. The various breeds are entirely man-made, artificially bred for a purpose.

If a particular breed is in danger, that is presumably because either they were bred to do a particular job which no longer exists or is done better by another breed, or there is not enough demand for them as companion dogs to make the breed viable.

People may find it 'sad' to see a breed die out, but if the breed is no longer in demand then perhaps there is little point in it?

I can think of lots of dog welfare issues I'd worry about much more than preserving some obscure breed of hairless crested water spaniel or whatever.

**Now going to duck and hide** :unsure:

Well I might have to break the 'rules' of the thread, because I'm not particularly sure that I would want to put any effort or resources into saving a 'vulernable' breed.

I'm passionate about conservation of species that are threatened, but 'dogs' aren't a threatened species. The various breeds are entirely man-made, artificially bred for a purpose.

If a particular breed is in danger, that is presumably because either they were bred to do a particular job which no longer exists or is done better by another breed, or there is not enough demand for them as companion dogs to make the breed viable.

People may find it 'sad' to see a breed die out, but if the breed is no longer in demand then perhaps there is little point in it?

I can think of lots of dog welfare issues I'd worry about much more than preserving some obscure breed of hairless crested water spaniel or whatever.

**Now going to duck and hide** :unsure:

Ok, so when it comes down to the very last breed of dog that is left, which breed would you like it to be?

wow was not aware that dogs were commoditites and if not viable should be left to die out (or be stamped out)

you could apply the priniciple of letting a breed die out to the sumatran tiger or the tasmanian leopard - oh, thats right, they're all gone...

There is no comparison with animals like the Sumatran Tiger or the Tasmanian Leopard which have evolved over thousands of years to live in a particular environment. Breeds of dog have been artificially produced by deliberate selective breeding, most of them over the last 200 years or so.

Will the world actually be a poorer place for losing the Dandie Dinmont? Well, probably yes for a handful of Dandie Dinmont enthusiasts and anyone with a pressing need to hunt weasels, but compared with the myriad other dog welfare problems we face I'm afraid this just isn't something I can get very worked up about.

Some of these breeds aren't as vulnerable as people think, the KC base it on the number of puppies registered each year and in many cases this has stayed consistant.

Wouldn't it be far better if all breeds had fewer pups born & registered each year, jsut think of the positive effect that would have.

Was the Dandie Dinmont really created to hunt weasels? :whaa: How odd!

Surely there is only a point in reviving a breed if there are no other similar dogs available, and lots of suitable homes? Bloodhounds, deerhounds & otterhounds are all delightful beasts, but the number of people who can offer them a really suitable home must surely be pretty small ? Even working terriers can be quite demanding pets...

Of the 'easier' endangered breeds it's not that we are losing all dogs of the type: usually its just that these are dogs that are only slightly different from a more popular breed. If we still have a lot of Pembroke corgis, is it really such a problem if there aren't many Cardigan ones? Is it a problem that there aren't many people breeding and selling show greyhounds, when there is such a huge surplus of racing-type dogs? I'm not sure I can even tell a Cavalier from a King Charles spaniel, so perhaps I am missing something, but is there something very different about them that a Cav couldn't possibly do instead?

I do think it's important to keep our heritage and I believe that includes all species/breed of animals. However it would sit more comfortably with me if, with the KC could promote along side the promotion of vulnerable breeds the need to match suitable homes to the breed, a rescue arm (because no matter how small the number rescue will always be required) for each breed and the need for responsible breeding and not breeding a rare breed for extra money over and above the cost of a "normal" breed (ie us starting to see "RARE Dandie Dinmonts for sale £1000). Will it ever happen? I doubt it..

(ie us starting to see "RARE Dandie Dinmonts for sale £1000). Will it ever happen? I doubt it..

Lol a few years ago you would have been spot on with price :biggrin: no idea what the present situation is, but I know at that time if you wanted a pup you had to also pass really tough breeder checks as well and join a queue

I think we need pics of them all and a poll... until then though, I say deerhound. Mr bro used to have one called Dave. He was fab. A great hairy horse of a dog, and very happy too. He lived on teh top of a moor and ran around like a mentalist all day. When not being a mentalist (and falling over his own legs), he roached on the kitchen rug, snoring like a pig. A very big pig :wub:

Edited by staffymonkey