UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Vulnerable Breeds

Laurel n Hardy

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I might have to break the 'rules' of the thread, because I'm not particularly sure that I would want to put any effort or resources into saving a 'vulernable' breed.

If a particular breed is in danger, that is presumably because either they were bred to do a particular job which no longer exists or is done better by another breed, or there is not enough demand for them as companion dogs to make the breed viable.

People may find it 'sad' to see a breed die out, but if the breed is no longer in demand then perhaps there is little point in it?

I can think of lots of dog welfare issues I'd worry about much more than preserving some obscure breed of hairless crested water spaniel or whatever.

I'm 100% with you on this one Fee. I would rather see less dogs in the world, not more being bred just to preserve one breed which there clearly isn't a demand for. There are too many dogs in the world as it is :flowers:

Well I might have to break the 'rules' of the thread, because I'm not particularly sure that I would want to put any effort or resources into saving a 'vulernable' breed.

I'm passionate about conservation of species that are threatened, but 'dogs' aren't a threatened species. The various breeds are entirely man-made, artificially bred for a purpose.

If a particular breed is in danger, that is presumably because either they were bred to do a particular job which no longer exists or is done better by another breed, or there is not enough demand for them as companion dogs to make the breed viable.

People may find it 'sad' to see a breed die out, but if the breed is no longer in demand then perhaps there is little point in it?

I can think of lots of dog welfare issues I'd worry about much more than preserving some obscure breed of hairless crested water spaniel or whatever.

**Now going to duck and hide** :unsure:

No need to hide from me.

I'm with you all the way on that.

Pam

I'm passionate about conservation of species that are threatened, but 'dogs' aren't a threatened species. The various breeds are entirely man-made, artificially bred for a purpose.

**Now going to duck and hide** :unsure:

But surely you are arguing against yourself-if the habitat has changed to that the sumatran tiger dies out-the to follow your srgument so be it (same with the otter hound-if we are not hunting otters any more?)

i see these breeds as a slice of our history-mostly the working class history who needed these animals for pest control/food.

if i follow the logic of your argument-why does the national Trust keep many Tudor buildings going-isnt one enough? or shall we just knock em down as they no longer fullfill our modern needs?

i think these breeds are as valuble as varieties of old domestic animals (pigs/ducks/etc) and in many cases tell us more about life then another bloody oil painting of a bloke in a frock coat

fee

But surely you are arguing against yourself-if the habitat has changed to that the sumatran tiger dies out-the to follow your srgument so be it (same with the otter hound-if we are not hunting otters any more?)

i see these breeds as a slice of our history-mostly the working class history who needed these animals for pest control/food.

if i follow the logic of your argument-why does the national Trust keep many Tudor buildings going-isnt one enough? or shall we just knock em down as they no longer fullfill our modern needs?

i think these breeds are as valuble as varieties of old domestic animals (pigs/ducks/etc) and in many cases tell us more about life then another bloody oil painting of a bloke in a frock coat

fee

Not really sure that was a good comparison, the buildings side of things. Buildings don't really get abused and neglected (well they do, but they don't suffer for it *lol*). You don't see a million and one Tudor x Victorian buildings cropping up because some idiot failed to neuter them either *lmao*.

I suppose if we're being forced into saving a breed in theory (and for the record I'm with "Fee" on this one in real life), then I'd have to pick the one that has the least health problems and the lowest care needs so as to reduce as much as possible the chances of sufering or them ending up in rescue. In real life those intentions mean jack sh*t though to be honest *lol*. I haven't got a clue what the breeds *need* or what their health is like (probably quite poor if they get "saved" and have very small gene pools), so God knows which one I'd theoretically save. To be honest, none of them really float my boat in a big way, I'm not right bothered.

Not sure why I posted now :laugh: Oh yeah, it gets me out of homework!!