UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Vulnerable Breeds

Laurel n Hardy

Right, it's my thread so here are the rules

Below is a list (from the kennel club) of vulnerable native breeds

YOU can only choose one to save and breed (responsably, of course, for the sake of the breed - not profit obviously)

Which one do you choose ????

(and no ducking out of the issue by saying you wouldn't or you only help rescue dogs/mongrels/strays)

As for me, I'm fence sitting til it gets 'interesting' :)

Good Luck

(Tin hat on standby) :D

Bloodhounds, Deerhounds, Greyhounds, Otterhounds, Gordon Setters, Irish Red & White Setters, Curly Coated Retrievers, Clumber Spaniels, Field Spaniels, Irish Water Spaniels, Sussex Spaniels, Dandie Dinmont Terriers, Smooth Fox Terriers, Glen of Imaal Terriers, Irish Terriers, Kerry Blue Terriers, Lakeland Terriers, Manchester Terriers, Norwich Terriers, Sealyham Terriers, Skye Terriers, Soft-Coated Wheaten Terriers, Welsh Terriers, Smooth Collies, Lancashire Heelers, Cardigan Welsh Corgis, English Toy Terriers (Black & Tan), King Charles Spaniels.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How the feck can a greyhound be a vulnerable breed when tens of thousands of them are born each year? :angry: Maybe they mean they are vulnerable to being slaughtered? :rolleyes:

:unsure: They believe Greyhounds and King Charles Spaniels are vunerable? Obscure

I presume they don't mean Cavalier King Charles Spaniels as the King Charles Spaniel is a separate breed :unsure:

Edited by madmerle

Totally selfish of me I know, but it saddens me to see some of my favourite breeds under threat. I've always wanted a Clumber Spaniel and I know that I may never have the chance to own one. Same goes for the Sussex & Field Spaniels.

Equally it saddens me to see Greyhounds on that list considering the number killed each year and the number in rescues :angry:

And here is the REALLY "interesting" bit - this area is moderated and still subject to exactly the same rules as the rest of the forum. First sign of anyones "tin hat" getting dented then the thread will be headed straight for the bin.

I must admit that I did not think greyhounds were a rare breed.

They do only mean show greyhounds - racing greyhounds do not exist in the eyes of the Kennel Club :huh: I really don't know what the difference is so bearing in mind that we all know that greyhounds are not rare, I would therefore go for the deerhound :unsure:

Its a difficult one, isn't it? I find it difficult to justify taking on a non-rescue dog because I know that means that somewhere a dog will die. But I do think that there is value (potentially) in maintaining as wide a variety of breeds as possible. Not compatible values, really!

I'd vote for the otterhound - sooo cute! But what kind of a reason is that? Manchester Terriers are fab too. And Kerry Blues, Irish Terriers, SC Wheatens, etc etc etc. Glad I don't have to choose.

Ruth

OK.

im voting for the smooth collie-loyal, beautiful, highly intelligent (i did obediance, breed and agility with mine nd her mother did all the above plus sheep trials). Not as hyper as a border, not the coat of a beardie/rough.

Bred originaly to work cattle so they are quick and tough-the coat made them good to work in wet/muddy conditions

sadly as they dont have the glamour of the rough they have always been a minority breed-but are one of our 4 native collies (rough, smooth, bearded, border). they nearly died out between the wars-and were largely saved by margaret Osbourne-who kept some to keep the breed going as she felt as a collie expert she didnt want to see the bred lost

personally i would be sad to seeany of them lost-a little bit of our heritage as a nation at risk-when areas bred types of dogs to meet specific needs of the Local area-and in my opinion as valuble a history as big houses or paintings.

fee

OK.

im voting for the smooth collie-loyal, beautiful, highly intelligent (i did obediance, breed and agility with mine nd her mother did all the above plus sheep trials). Not as hyper as a border, not the coat of a beardie/rough.

Bred originaly to work cattle so they are quick and tough-the coat made them good to work in wet/muddy conditions

sadly as they dont have the glamour of the rough they have always been a minority breed-but are one of our 4 native collies (rough, smooth, bearded, border). they nearly died out between the wars-and were largely saved by margaret Osbourne-who kept some to keep the breed going as she felt as a collie expert she didnt want to see the bred lost

personally i would be sad to seeany of them lost-a little bit of our heritage as a nation at risk-when areas bred types of dogs to meet specific needs of the Local area-and in my opinion as valuble a history as big houses or paintings.

fee

please remove the bloodhound from the list, we have been removed from the kennel clubs vulnerable breeds list and so your list must be out of date. We do no wish to be included .

The Gordon Setter and King Charles Spaniel have also been removed from the list, along with the Bloodhound, according to the Kennel Club site - link.

After consultation with the breed clubs representing the original list of vulnerable breeds, three breeds, the Gordon Setter, the King Charles Spaniel and the Bloodhound, have now been removed from the ‘active’ list and will not feature in any future vulnerable breed initiatives.