UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

What Would You Do?

one.eyed.dog

I don't think I would get the breed then. I always wanted a Eurasier, but they aren't in rescue. Only a few breeders in the country.

I thought about a puppy, but then I went and rescued Jake :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

Best thing ever :)

I just couldn't buy a dog when there are so many in rescue.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm happy to have rescue dogs, I don't know why, I just am. I could bang on about rehoming, dog welfare etc but the truth is I just like rescues. I suppose I find them more interesting, you never know what you will get to choose from, whereas if I went to a Labrador breeder I would know exactly what they are going to look like and in a broad framework what their personality/behaviour is likely to be like. I don't like the reverse snobbery that sometimes goes with having a rescue, any more than the snob value some people get out of having a pedigree (although to be fair I think it is often really just an overload of pride and love). I think if someone wants to get a dog of a particular breed from a breeder that is fine. A dog is a big, long term commitment and you need to be in it heart and soul so I don't feel dog welfare is ultimately best served by people getting a rescue if what they want it a certain breed. There are people who like agility or showing or obedience and I think room for it all, if it is someones bag to get a particular breed with particular bloodlines etc then that is up to them, as long as they love and care for the dog that is fine. If no one bred dogs there would be no rescues, no working dogs and no pet dogs either.

Ok. So you want a specific breed. You've researched it and it's the one for you. The problem is there are non available in rescue and you have looked for about 12 months. Do you go to a reputable breeder and buy one?

I can't imagine deciding I *had* to have a specific breed so much that I would go to a breeder. All of my rescue dogs have been/are very different, in terms of breed/crosses/size/personality, but they have all got along great together, so I can't imagine the day (sadly) that rescues aren't stuffed full of dogs which would fit perfectly in here. I'm pretty sure I could visit most rescues/rehoming sites and find at least one dog who would be suitable. Until that no longer happens, I just wouldn't think of buying from a breeder.

Just a thought, but sometimes good breeders take dogs back from owners where things haven't worked out. I don't know if this ever happens in the breed you're looking at but that might be something worth looking into? Assuming you've not 100% made up your mind on a pup.

Just a thought, but sometimes good breeders take dogs back from owners where things haven't worked out. I don't know if this ever happens in the breed you're looking at but that might be something worth looking into? Assuming you've not 100% made up your mind on a pup.

That is exactly how we got OB, OH wanted ridgeback (though now he's not sure why :rolleyes: ) and we were looking at breeders, but I didnt want a young puppy. OB was advertised by his breeder as a pet dog, he isnt up to breed showing standard, and had been returned by his initial purchaser. he was 5 months old when he came to us.

As for me, its the personality of the dog thats important, though I must admit I'd take the bigger short coated dog everytime :biggrin:

I'm intrigued as to what breed you want that doesn't have a rescue?? Must be pretty rare.

When I was getting my first dog I phoned the local rescue kennels and they asked what kind I really, really wanted, I told them, they gave me the number of breed rescue and now I'm on my third Weimaraner. Plan always to have them now simply because I can, by rescuing.

Surely all rescues should have a list of breed rescues for the people who do want 'a breed', as do all vets.

However, I must confess that we have occasionally been tempted by the idea of a pedigree Norwegian Forest Cat. We probably will never do it (and we have 2 lookylikies here at the mo anyway but that is a bit of a lucky fluke), but we have considered it.

I don't think that would be instead of a rescue cat though. It would be as well as. Like if you bought a big chocolate fudge cake, that wouldn't be instead of chips.

Annie my NFC is well bred and cost a fortune but she didn't take the place of a rescue cat. Infact when she arrived at more or less the same time Harrycat became a permanent addition too. It would never have occured to me for Harry to be rehomed elsewhere just because Annie was here. There was, and always will be room for everyone.

I'll always have at least one Springer Spaniel. They're my dogs. In future I will get one from a rescue because there are plenty to chose from. But one day I would like to have a Clumber Spaniel. Like Springers, I've loved them all my life and would really like to have one eventually. I think in the years I've been using dog forums I've seen one needing a home and one who was part Clumber. I can honestly say I doubt very much my Clumber will be a rescue simply because they don't come into rescue. I've got more chance of winning the lottery than for the right Clumber for my household to be in a rescue.

Dunno really, both my dogs are from breeders (pre having eyes truely opened) and the breeds I like (collies & GSDs) are all too often in rescue but I would have to have an open minded rescue who would allow me to work with them and my fear agg collie.

I know that if the right youngster (youngster 'cos I would want to train for comp obedience) came along in either breed that, with time and patience, I could get Tia to accept another dog in the house but it would take time and careful management to begin with.

All a pipe dream just now anyway with work etc but still....

We very nearly bought a Siamese kitten. We went through the whole process, found a really fab breeder, travelled to meet them, went through it all up to just before the birth of the kittens and circumstances changed and we ended up with another rescue cat. I have no qualms about buying from a responsible breeder though (with the operative word being responsible). One day I *will* have my Siamese - the issue against going through rescue at the time was that we were refused repeatedly because we had moggies, which the rescue said Siameses weren't safe around (moggies as a whole, not just mine!). Obviously the rescue were dead wrong. They did offer me a moggie they had in their care, because they couldn't stand it. :mellow:

I can't imagine having the same scenario with a dog, although our criteria for a rescue is pretty tight and I certainly wouldn't be averse to the idea of going to a really good breeder *if* there was a particular dog I wanted that couldn't be found in rescue.

It was hyperthetical. I have noticed certain breeds do not tend to come up in rescue.

Spinoni's (except Issie)

Clumbers

Ridgebacks

Pugs

Red setters

I'm sure there are more.

I would choose a rescue dog if I could plus I would not particularly want a pup, I would prefer one that was at least 12 months old. I know some breeders take back dogs if it does not work out so is that classed as rescue?

Edited by one.eyed.dog

Well, at the mo, I am thinking about a third dog and it is likely that it will end up being a puppy from a breeder. This isn't so much for my benefit - it's more about finding a dog who will fit in with my household and with what I do with my dogs. While I would love to take in a needy soul, I will not risk my own dogs' (Katie in particular) quality of life in the process.

Maybe I am wrong but I doubt very much that the sort of dog I am looking for will turn up in rescue. I will give my criteria and if anybody knows of one or hears of one, feel free to let me know.

First, the dog needs to be very small. Yorkie sized. I don't have space for another big dog.

Second, the dog needs to have no terrier in it at all - if the dog is a cross, I would need to know what it was crossed with. I will not risk a dog with the sort of fiesty nature often found in terriers living with my bullmastiffs.

Third, the dog needs to be totally confident around bigger dogs. My Katie is freaked out by dogs who are scared of her and she will bully those dogs.

Fourth, the dog needs to be fine living in a town and mixing with lots of people and other dogs. He will also need to be fine in rural and farm situations - so okay with horses, sheep etc.

Fifth, the dog needs to be youngish (no older than 2) and male.

Sixth, the dog needs to travel well - my dogs spend a lot of time in the car. And not suffer from seperation anxiety - I work part time and just don't have the lifestyle to allow me to cope with a dog who can't be left.

I also would not consider a dog out of rescue kennels because I don't think enough can be told about their temperament while they are in kennels.

I feel that my requirements are asking a lot for a rescue dog who might well have some baggage which is why I'll probably get a puppy from a good breeder.

If I didn't have Katie I would be more than happy to give a home to a needy dog with issues. But she has had such a hard time during her 4 years of life that I will not consider taking a dog into the house unless I am absolutely convinced that it will be okay with her. And that it won't add to her problems.

Tracey xx

I have had both rescue and bought from breeder dogs, both as a family and since I have become a 'grown up' and had my own place. At the moment our dog is from a breeder and she is a Lab.

I have had a Yorkie, Staffy, Toy Poodle, Lab/GR, Lab/GSD and now Lab so I'm not actually wanting/needing any particular breed. I think I'd prefer a larger dog though. Having said that, I really would like a Poodle again one day - although prob a Standard rather than a Toy Poodle.

I'm not 1/2 as involved in rescue as many of the people on here. I wonder whether people who are more involved in rescue tend to lean towards rescue rather than breeder simply because you are aware of the need for good homes / fosters etc. I really don't believe that the general public are aware of the rescue situations, the DNB stuff I have read on here, Greyhound welfare, etc etc etc. People I have spoken to just within my owm family / social circle are of the impression that rescue = problems.

Only since I have had access to a computer and 'tinternet have I become more aware of the plight of rescue.

So, I'd never say never to getting another dog from a breeder, but neither would I close my mind to a rescue.