UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

What Would You Do?

one.eyed.dog

I've tried to read this whole thread. I do have a breed of choice, actually more a type I suppose, it must have a long pointy nose, any sighthound really. Sadly, there are lots in rescue, puppies too. Indy is a Battersea boy who came to us at 6, I didn't have a clue about sighthounds then but I soon learnt! Rio and Bertie are both rescues and came to us at 12 and 11 weeks respectively, so if you want a puppy to bring up from the start you will find them in rescue. I don't think I could buy from a breeder.

I also like Field Spaniels although I'm not that keen on their habbit of dumping a mouthfull of water in your lap after they've had a drink! They do occastionally come up in breed rescue but not very often, as Cheryl said there aren't that many around, the gene pool is very small.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rio and Bertie are both rescues and came to us at 12 and 11 weeks respectively, so if you want a puppy to bring up from the start you will find them in rescue.

I completely respect your view :flowers: However, I think it depends on the breed (if indeed you're looking for a particular breed). My next dog will be a giant breed (not necessarily a pedigree), and like I said in my previous post, a giant breed puppy is a rare thing in rescue *from what I've seen*. The last giant breed pups (and I mean young pups) I saw were about 5 years ago now. I have seen adults since then, infrequently, but we wouldn't be looking for an adult unless it was bombproof. I'm not saying they're not about more frequently, as I haven't been actively searching and won't be for a long time, but they're certainly not common. However, saying that, some pedigree puppies do come up when you least expect them - Dharma was an older pup at 5 months old, but we found her the day we started looking for another dog, so we were quite lucky there. :flowers:

I love dogs, have always had them and would be lost without one, but for me a huge part of the motivation for taking a dog is that the dog needs a home.

Taking a dog who has been unwanted, neglected or abused and turning it round and giving it a happy life is one of the most satisfying things I can imagine doing. I just wouldn't feel the same about buying a well bred puppy who would no doubt go to a good home with or without me.