UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Oldies Rmf

elainew

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wish me luck tomorrow, I am taking Hugo (16) and long term foster, Vicky (12/13) to do a PAT type visit at a home for the elderly.

Both dogs love people, particulary older people as they both had elderly owners prior to coming into The Mayhew.

Hugo has done unofficial PAT style work before with me and he excels at this, Vicky is a little shy at times but not really nervous of people - just hope there are no cats around as she will want to chase them! If there is any food around, Hugo will steal it!

Both dogs are normally very well behaved but I suspect that dog's sense of humour means I should expect either to show me up, just because they can.

Edited by Sue B

Fantastic stuff! The old folk will really love that.

I never thought before. Our Issie my 13 yr old Spinone absolutely laps up any attention, especially from men. She would have loved to do something like that. How do they become a PAT dog? Do they have to do a temperament etc test or do they have to go through some kind of training?

Edited by Jacobean

I don't know why I didn't think of it before. I've never known a dog love people like she does. She is desperate for people to say hello to her when we're out. Most don't unfortunately and I feel so sorry for her most days. It's the only time her recall lets her down. If she sees a man especially she's off. Her tail starts going when she's miles away from people. She is very old though. I'll go have a look at the link. Thanks Fee. :flowers:

Ah um it does say dogs need to be on a loose lead. I don't know if Iss would sense the people involved were elderly or disabled and she can't go rushing up to people. She tends to be placid natured so maybe she wouldn't do that. She doesn't rush people indoors. :laugh:

Oh dear she's failed one of the items on the test before she's started. She does sometimes snatch food, especially now her eye sight isn't as good as it was. That's a shame.

Edited by Jacobean

Well we did it and they were both absolute stars :wub: They wagged thier tails, nuzzled hands and patiently received pats from loads of people they had never met before.

This care home is actually a very special one as all residents are not just elderly but they all have dementia too, so it was specially important that we made this visit. I was just standing in for one of our volunteers who is on hols, its a regular arrangement we have with this home, where a suitable dog, if we have one, goes to help spread a little joy to the residents.

To Jacobean, our visits are something we do ourselves its not done through the PAT organisation. I did want to resgiter Hugo with PAT a few years back, but on the form it implied that they may not take on older dogs as they thought it could be too much for them. I didn't pursue it any further after seeing that but it doesn't mean that they won't accept your dog, as each dog is assessed individually. And, Hugo is also guilty of snatching treats, so could have failed on that anyway!

I think the PAT organisation do a great job and I hope they don;t mind that we 'stole' their idea.

I'm sure she will miss you but Ruby will remember she had a wonderful foster home and nobody can take those memories away from you and her.

Big :GroupHug: to you and your family.

Good luck with the next foster dog :rolleyes:

Cheryl & Mike xxx

I have to second that, having bumped into ex fosters many a time over the years. They always settle with their new families but they NEVER forget their foster mums and dads, if you do see Ruby again in the future, be prepared for a very joyous welcome.

Hope you feel better soon, I really know how hard it is, I never managed to say goodbye to any of my foster babies without feeling really choked up.

Wish me luck tomorrow, I am taking Hugo (16) and long term foster, Vicky (12/13) to do a PAT type visit at a home for the elderly.

Both dogs love people, particulary older people as they both had elderly owners prior to coming into The Mayhew.

Hugo has done unofficial PAT style work before with me and he excels at this, Vicky is a little shy at times but not really nervous of people - just hope there are no cats around as she will want to chase them! If there is any food around, Hugo will steal it!

Both dogs are normally very well behaved but I suspect that dog's sense of humour means I should expect either to show me up, just because they can.

Fantastic stuff! The old folk will really love that.

I never thought before. Our Issie my 13 yr old Spinone absolutely laps up any attention, especially from men. She would have loved to do something like that. How do they become a PAT dog? Do they have to do a temperament etc test or do they have to go through some kind of training?

Sol does unofficial PAT work, sometimes with one of his mates who is an "official" boy.

Sol particularly gravitates towards children with difficulties such as Downs Syndrome and autism and disabled elderly folks. His pal prefers his work with fragile patients in hospices, some of whom have had to part with their own dearly beloved pets due to the life-limiting nature of their illnesses.

When I get around to it, I will contact http://www.petsastherapy.org/ but in the meantime, he brightens everyone's day a couple of times a week at the local home and the day centre for the elderly and the care village, a self-supporting community where adults and children with special needs live and work. Spending time with his friends in all 3 places really brings out the best in him and the carers remark upon how much calmer their patients are after his visits. A fantastic win-win situation all round, and I can thoroughly recommend it.

Here's Sol with one of his friends, Kiera, a fantastic little girl who suffers from autism and cerebral palsy.

SolKeira.jpg

I live very rurally and the Elf & Safety oafs who seem to get away with spoiling daily life elsewhere tend to be given the bum's rush here, thus Sol has been able to do his unofficial befriending without any red tape or nonsense. I appreciate that this might not be the case everywhere, but if you've got half a mind to give it a go, why not approach some local organisations and see what they say?

A) if you try it and find that it's not for you, you've wasted no time jumping through hoops getting your official Pets As Therapy stripes and

B) if it is for you, you'll have some handy references/testimonials. What is there to lose?

To give you an insight into the extent to which foolish bureaucracy is despised hereabouts, click on the link below and see the photo in post #103.

http://www.rykat.org/forums/index.php?show...90&start=90

Long live village life! Edited to add and common sense!

Edited by Alison

Fantastic stuff all round. :wub: There is a note on the PAT thing also saying the dogs get tired out quickly. They haven't met our Iss. :laugh:

I do live in a town. I do however know someone who puts her father in a day care centre (which also has full time residents) for the elderly which is about 10 mins from me so that would probably be a good place to start. Sussing out through my friend if this is feasible. We know full well how many elderly people there must be in homes/centres who have had to give up their beloved pets as we've taken several in from these circumstances. The owners have been devastated. So would be nice to cheer some of them up. It would be great to work with younger people too. Hmm.

Well done you 2 though and of course your doglets. :flowers:

Although I don't take my dogs out to do any kind of PAT visits, my husband works as a carer for a young man with autism. In the course of their 'out and about' they often pop into the house for a cup of tea or a quick lunch, and L. absolutely loves our dogs - they love him, too, as he makes such a fuss of them.

All his reserve and shyness goes when he's fussing the dogs, and his face totally lights up when he walks in and they all charge over to see him. I'm sure a lot of people with learning disabilities relate to animals much more easily than people and really benefit from the contact.

I took Meg for a long-overdue clip today, she was so scruffy she looked more like something you'd find blocking the hoover than a dog :rolleyes:

Can't help laughing, though, the goomer decided to 'feature' her ears, which apparently means leaving long tufts of hair on them. With those and her sticking-out-teefs she looks exactly like a gremlin :laugh: :wub:

I have thought about going through the PAT thing with Bear as he could sit and be fussed all day long if need be. The only problem is that if you are stupid enough to stop fussing him once you've started then he tends to whack one of his large, heavy, rough paws onto you and leaves it there until you start again :rolleyes:

I've just checked my calendar too and realised that the old fella is 12 on Monday :ohmy: You'd never believe it if you'd seen the speed at which he chased the seagulls the other day :glare: