UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Oldies Rmf

elainew

My OH went to answer the phone in the middle of his dinner last night and Musky stole his steak pie :D

I don't know whether I'm more astonished that Musky *finally* did something naughty (he's such a good boy :wub: ) or that he beat Sophie (determined and accomplished little thief) to it :laugh:

Aw, Musky! Bless his big cotton socks. :wub:

But surely you must be mistaken, Fee. Little Princess Sophie couldn't possibly do anything naughty. :ohmy:

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My OH went to answer the phone in the middle of his dinner last night and Musky stole his steak pie :D

I don't know whether I'm more astonished that Musky *finally* did something naughty (he's such a good boy :wub: ) or that he beat Sophie (determined and accomplished little thief) to it :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh:

According to the last update we had from Freshfields, yes, Dane is still looking for a home, sadly. And I've just checked Freshfields' website and he's still listed on there.

Poor boy seems to have had a hard life. It would be wonderful to see him find a loving home. Are you thinking about a new friend for Sol Alison?

Poor boy seems to have had a hard life. It would be wonderful to see him find a loving home. Are you thinking about a new friend for Sol Alison?

I'd love to foster him but I don't suppose it would be practical with the distances involved :unsure:

It depends how far from their kennels Freshfields are willing to send a dog. I know the worry is always there that if a dog has to be returned and it's some distance then it's getting the dog back to kennels. Have a word with them. Always worth asking. If it's a no then at least you tried for the dog. :flowers:

I'd love to foster him but I don't suppose it would be practical with the distances involved :unsure:

He's been on The Oldies Club since November 2005, and according to their site in Freshfields since 2001 - getting on for half his life as he'll be about 14 by now. He's on the long term/behavioural dogs page http://www.freshfieldsrescue.org.uk/

He's described as sometimes being domineering (with other dogs) so I guess you'd also have to see whether / how he & Sol & would get on. I can't see anything to say whether they do or don't use foster homes but why not enquire & send them some pictures of Sol in his pearls & uniforms & tell them you're virtually royalty - who else has 2 birthdays? Providing they don't send along some men in white coats - if they did you could always introduce them to the space cadets - they may think about poor Dane never had a loving home, probably nearing his last few years now & welcome the chance to let him see some time in a caring home.

Seriously though, as Michelle says "Have a word with them. If it's a no then at least you tried for the dog."

I'm not sure whether I'm correct but have it in mind that you don't drive? If all else is looking good & that's all that stands in the way I'll even try & arrange a transport run to get this poor boy into a nice home AND

I'll even send along some battenburg to celebrate his arrival - lovely old boy (Dane not me!!), transport, cake what more could you ask for :D ? Now go on, get that email sent

Edited by Ian

..........providing they don't send along some men in white coats........

That's my first worry. Goodness knows how, but I've managed to avoid their attentions for all these years despite being "special" :laugh: Don't want to get busted and made to wear padded pyjamas (in the days before political correctness I think it was called a strait jacket?)

if they did you could always introduce them to the space cadets

.......and you think this would help, do you Ian? :rolleyes: Freshfields would take one look at the sort of life me, Sol and his foster bruvs and sisters lead and veto the idea immediately :laugh:

I fostered Sol this time last year for the first time - his rehoming wasn't straightforward but that's a long story for another time.

My previous fosters had been retired racing Greyhounds who'd spent their lives in kennels but Sol was quite different; he'd clearly been loved and had lived happily in a home. I was new to rescue then and completely naive. As he'd been unclaimed after his 7 days in the pound and quite the easiest dog in the world, I believed that someone somewhere must have been looking for him so did a lot of detective work trying to find his family with a view to reuniting them. That's how I discovered Dane. His story broke my heart.

I'm not bothered about behavioural issues. Immediately after Sol went to his "forever" home (which he returned from some weeks later as his new owner became terminally ill), I fostered an "unhomable" greyhound x collie lurcher who'd been in rescue for 2.5 years and within 4 weeks of being with me he found his "forever" home! Unhomable my :bootyshake:

I asked Clazuk at White Lodge (the local rescue that I volunteer for) if she'd consider taking Dane and letting me foster him but for reasons I can't recall, it wasn't viable.

Were there a "safety net" nearby in case Sol and he didn't get on, I'd snap that boy right up as a foster, rehabilitate him to whatever degree was required and find him his "forever" home as soon as possible.

Any suggestions?

She who dares.................wins

well mostly.

I have been reading the thread and it's obvious to me, humble opinion that I have, that you are really concerned for Dane, after reading his story, I can see why. What a heartbreaker.

So, if you never try, you will never know.

If you try and it doesn't work ( it will, you sound like a wondeful person ) then at least you will have tried.

BTW I don't think they are called padded pj's I believe they are called, extra insulated leisurewear, with handy wrap-a-round sleeves, accessorized with cute little buckles and belts. But again, I could be wrong.

All the very best, let us know how it goes.

Lucky Dane, he's caught your eye.

:closedeyes:

Were there a "safety net" nearby in case Sol and he didn't get on, I'd snap that boy right up as a foster, rehabilitate him to whatever degree was required and find him his "forever" home as soon as possible.

Any suggestions?

I think your first step really would have to be to contact Freshfields & find out whether they are even open to the idea of fostering Dane.

If so I would have thought you would then discuss practicalities & any contingency plans from there. I would think they'd probably want you & Sol to visit Dane & see how you all got along, just as if you were looking at adopting him.

If you have experience of fostering, particularly dogs who were said to have issues this would all be worth discussing with them.

We'll never know unless you ask them though TELEPHONE 0151 931 1604 Email: [email protected] :flowers:

Edited by Ian

In view of your past experiences they may be willing to give this a go. It depends how far they allow one of their charges to go out on foster. If they do indeed have a fostering scheme. It sounds as though the only reason this wouldn't work out in your case is if both Sol and him had a problem with each other. I imagine Freshfields would want the 2 of them to meet up at kennels to assess how they got on there first before reaching a decision. They will also want to give him their backup so I can understand the White Lodge idea not being a viable one. He's a Freshfield dog and they will want a say in where he is rehomed to in the future. and will want to keep tabs on him. The best thing you can do is to contact them for a chat. Only they can give you the answers you need now. Good luck.

I have been reading the thread and it's obvious to me, humble opinion that I have, that you are really concerned for Dane

I am, and have been now for a year. Not a day passes when I don't think about him. :wub:

BTW I don't think they are called padded pj's I believe they are called, extra insulated leisurewear, with handy wrap-a-round sleeves, accessorized with cute little buckles and belts.

That sounds a whole lot nicer, rather trendy in fact. I'll feel a lot more positive about wearing them now when Sol blows the whistle and the men in white coats finally catch up with me! :laugh:

Lucky Dane, he's caught your eye.

Not sure about that - just look at the sort of thing the poor lad might end up spending his twilight years doing...............

Best6legs.jpg

Oakham1.jpg

This is the "unrehomable" dog I mentioned, Sabre. Apparently a killer of small dogs. These photos were taken on the first day I fostered him when I happened to be looking after my boss's dog for the weekend.

Soundsofahounds2.jpg

Not to be let off the lead under any circumstances and to be muzzled at all times :wacko:

ChumsReturning2.jpg

4.jpg

I think your first step really would have to be to contact Freshfields & find out whether they are even open to the idea of fostering Dane. We'll never know unless you ask them though TELEPHONE 0151 931 1604 Email: [email protected] :flowers:

I've e-mailed them today and will let you know when I get a reply

Edited by Alison