UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Should Saddam Die?

raiye

I think the likes of Saddam, Ian Huntley, etc etc should receive the death penalty. what is the point in them being alive?

If you could do the killing then so be it. I personally could not kill anyone and would not expect anyone (or on behalf of a country) to do it in my name, again who draws the line about what is an offence which warrants the death penalty and what does not. Are you capable of killing someone or do you want 'someone' (who?) to do it for you and wash your hands...............where do you put Bush and Blair in this slaughter of innocent people who blatantly lied for their justification of the war (or was it just that Iraq happened to have oil and Zimbabwe, Darfour and Rawanda doesn't)

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the likes of Saddam, Ian Huntley, etc etc should receive the death penalty. what is the point in them being alive?

If you believe this, then perhaps you should trace back exactly how Saddam was empowered. Then talk about the death penalty for George Bush Snr, senior CIA officials and so on...

Saddam: Made in the USA

How the Reagan/Bush Sr. administrations backed Saddam

With all the bellowing from George W. Bush about the dangerous dictator Saddam Hussein, it is worth reminding this "freedom-loving leader" that Saddam's government only exists because of the backing of previous US administrations.

ABC News Nightline opened on June 9, 1993 with the truth for a change: "It is becoming increasingly clear," said a grave Ted Koppel, "that George Bush [sr.], operating largely behind the scenes throughout the 1980's, initiated and supported much of the financing, intelligence, and military help that built Saddam's Iraq into the aggressive power that the United States ultimately had to destroy."

But where was the US concern about "Saddam's human rights record," "democracy," or "weapons of mass destruction" then? Why would the US support Saddam Hussein in the 1980's?

The New York Times explained this mystery: "For ten years, as Iraq developed a vast army, chemical weapons and a long record of brutality, the Reagan and Bush [sr.] administrations quietly courted Hussein as a counter-weight to Iran's revolutionary fervor." (8/13/90)

Washington feared the spread of Iran's theocratic, anti-Western ideology, which threatened "our" interests in the region. So the US armed and financed Saddam during the 1980-88 Iran-Iraq war which cost over one million lives and an astronomical $1.19 trillion. The US supplied Iraq with military intelligence, $5 billion in food subsidies (which was converted to cash for arms), $2.5 billion in export loan guarantees (again converted to cash), and $141 million in direct export subsidies. According to Senator Robert Byrd in recent Congressional testimony, the US also sent Saddam a "witches' brew of pathogens" including anthrax, botulinum, and West Nile virus. (West Virginia Gazette, 9/27/02). These toxins were ordered sent from the CDC (Center for Disease Control) through White House directives.

In numerous accounts in mainstream media, the arms bizarre Saddam accessed in America included elements and whole infrastructures for manufacturing nuclear, biological, and chemical weapons. In "And Weapons for All" Bill Hartung, (America's leading arms control researcher), details the political, financial, and industrial deal making that made Saddam the strongest regional power in the Mid-East prior to our devastating "Desert Storm" slaughter. The support for Saddam began covertly at least as far back as 1973. Saddam was then obliterating leftists within Iraq, and so earned our leaders love.

Two Decades of support for Saddam and his party are well documented. In PBS's Frontlines series of interviews with CIA people, Iraqi journalists and political leaders, an in depth view of the rise of Saddam and the Ba'ath Party and decades of U.S. policy towards them is detailed. Iraqi scholar Said Aburish (journalist and author) is quoted: "The U.S. involvement in the coup against Kassem (then president of Iraq) in Iraq in 1963 was substantial". He goes on to say "I have documented over seven hundred people who were eliminated, mostly on an individual basis, after the 1963 coup. And they were eliminated based on lists supplied by the CIA to the Ba'ath Party. So the CIA and the Ba'ath were in the business of eliminating communists and leftists who were dangerous to the Ba'ath's take-over".

"The use of gas on the battlefield by the Iraqis was not a matter of deep strategic concern," explained Col. Walter P. Lang (retired senior Defense Intelligence officer) in a recent interview with the New York Times. An anonymous "senior U.S. officer" further commented that the Pentagon "wasn't so horrified by Iraq's use of gas. It was just another way of killing people - whether with a bullet or phosgene, it didn't make a difference." (8/18/02)

No he shouldn't be killed, it would raise his status and he doesn't deserve that. He should face old age and all it brings as should those who aided him.

I have taken a while to reply here, and I feel that Wendy has pretty much summed it up for me. He will be seen as a hero/martyr and what would that have achieved?

I dread to think of the repurcussions his death may cause to "our boys" serving out there in Iraq.

I have taken a while to reply here, and I feel that Wendy has pretty much summed it up for me. He will be seen as a hero/martyr and what would that have achieved?

I dread to think of the repurcussions his death may cause to "our boys" serving out there in Iraq.

Isnt he already a martyr in certain circles. He will be remembered in history long after a natural death, let alone his execution.

Do you think the Iraqis are "out for revenge" more than justice? But revenge goes against the justice polocies. Without bringing the idea of other governmental giants and dictators into the picture - isnt us condemning him for his behavior making us guilty of similar behavior. We pretty much have the same excuses he has given :wacko:

He is a waste of good air but I also believe it will exacerbate the situation and make him a matryr which will not be a good thing for anyone.

As for the death sentence,mixed feelings.I would honestly say like most things in life you can not tell how you would feel about it until you find yourself in the situation.Sadly in my family we have been and it does make you have a different perspective on the whole issue.Watching the effect the murder of a close relative has on your immediate family does tend to colour your views a tad,even when you are the most liberal of people,like myself,trust me.

Ghandi (I think): An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.

Sums my view up.

I am opposed to the death penalty so I do not agree with Saddam being excecuted.

He should be taken to the Hague (sp??) tried in a UN court and then sent to prison for the rest of his life, and after they have done that I would like to see George Bush snr and his comrades tried for war crimes for helping put him in power :dry:

Ghandi (I think): An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.

Sums my view up.

I am opposed to the death penalty so I do not agree with Saddam being excecuted.

He should be taken to the Hague (sp??) tried in a UN court and then sent to prison for the rest of his life, and after they have done that I would like to see George Bush snr and his comrades tried for war crimes for helping put him in power :dry:

The cost to keep him alive in a high security thingy (can't think of the word) could be put to better use ie building schools etc. I think he should be gassed like he did with the Kurds. Period.

I also believe that if you live by the sword then you better be damn well prepared to die by it.

Sarah

I think he should be strung up as soon as possible, preferably the old fashioned way where he is hoisted up and slowly chokes rather than having the luxory of a trap door and a quick broken neck.

I think it would take too much money, effort, security, responsibility to house him in jail for the rest of his life and the do gooders wont be happy till he has a luxory bed, tv, dvd, mp3, power shower and unlimited visits whilst being served any meal he so fancies.

he was happy to kill people under the guise of muslim law so he should be ready and prepared to die under those same laws

Just want to ask those who think he should die, what they think should happen to those who helped / financed him to stay in power, even though they knew what he was doing - eg George Bush Senior?

As I said earlier, I don't think he should die, but I'll answer anyway :biggrin:

The people who put him in power and kept him in power should suffer exactly the same fate as Saddam does. They are equally as guilty.

Sums my view up.

Sums my view up.

Just want to ask those who think he should die, what they think should happen to those who helped / financed him to stay in power, even though they knew what he was doing - eg George Bush Senior?

These totally sum up my views exactly.

No. Because I think punishment should be punishment..harsh, long and hard punishment. Therefore I think execution is the easy way out for him. TBH I think all prison sentences should be in a small cell, hard bed, toilet and thats it, non of this having TV's, games and socializing that they call prison in this country. They should be made to work (hard manual work) and given the basic food.