Should Saddam Die?

raiye

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what will it achieve?

More shia violence on the day he dies?

I'm not really sure it will achieve anything, the state of Iraq now is truly dreadful, and look at all of the troops who have died, for what currently seems to be little achievement.

I for one am 100% certain that GWB's speech earlier this month about a new approach in Iraq is his way of softening up the americans for the introduction of a draft.

Killing Saddam may bring finality to some, but in the greater scheme of things I do not believe it will contribute to a peaceful and functioning democracy in Iraq

I would say I'm opposed to the death penalty, however I'm not sure I give a stuff (sorry) what happens to Saddam. However I do share these concerns:

in the greater scheme of things I do not believe it will contribute to a peaceful and functioning democracy in Iraq

It does make me concerned about what will happen after the "event" and how Iraq and the rest of the world might be affected.

I would say I'm opposed to the death penalty, however I'm not sure I give a stuff (sorry) what happens to Saddam.

These are my thoughts on it too. Plus, it must be a nightmare trying to keep his whereabouts protected so that he isn't sprung and it's one less thing for our troops over there to have to deal with. He didn't show an ounce of compassion for the hundreds of thousands of his own people he's murdered so we should show him no compassion.

Ghandi (I think): An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.

Sums it up perfectly.

I am anti death penalty anyway, it's utterly hypocritical to take someone's life as punishment for them taking a life/lives. Sheer madness!

As has already been said, Saddam's death will only achieve more violence and conflict. It won't undo what he did. They'd be better sentencing him to a lifetime of charity working helping the people he hurt in some way.

And as for the method, well there is no excuse for hanging someone these days. How can anyone criticise Saddam for being barbaric and then sentence him to death by hanging? If it has to be done then it should be by humane lethal injection not by what is essentially strangulation which may take half an hour to kill him.

No - how can you chose what is barbaric and what is not, where do you draw the line at who should die and who should not, is there an acceptable barbaric line and where do you draw it. I agree he is a shittin monster, but killing him takes you down to his level.

I am against the death penalty full stop - you are either for it or against it - no ifs or buts imho

I think he well deserves to Die!

i don't give a stuff about the rights and wrongs or going down to his level, string the bastard up, stone him and let him suffer is my opinion

However the retributions that will probably occur would probably make it not worth it, so for that reason alone i think i may disagree with the death penalty for him

I don't agree to him being hanged.

All that will be achieved is that he will beocme a Martyr and his followers will be able to cause mayhem. He will become an icon. This man deserves to be punished for what he has done but not in this way. taking his life away will not affect what has happened or bring any of the people that have suffered at his hands back. Lock him up and let him know what it feels like to suffer sadness and not be able to lead an active life. His judgement day will come.

What Saddam done was wrong, but do we have the right to kill him? I don't thing we do, we are putting ourselves in the same position s he is, and I am not like him. I couldn't murder someone, nor could I sign the for the death of someone else no matter what they have done, that isn't up to me,.

Life imprisonment is far harder for him to cope with that death. Death is final, imprisonment isn't.