UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Should Saddam Die?

raiye

No. Because I think punishment should be punishment..harsh, long and hard punishment. Therefore I think execution is the easy way out for him. TBH I think all prison sentences should be in a small cell, hard bed, toilet and thats it, non of this having TV's, games and socializing that they call prison in this country. They should be made to work (hard manual work) and given the basic food.

I agree...but I'd also like him to spend the rest of his days thinking he was about to be executed

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

See, I just don't get what makes normally kind and caring people want other people to inflict pain, humilation and/or death on other people.

I fully understand why if someone has hurt you or someone close to you and you catch them in the act then you might badly hurt or kill them. I could and probably would do that myself but I couldn't ask some random third parties to do it.

I also don't understand why people incarcerated in prison should be deprived of their human rights, that makes us no better ( and possibly worse ) than the people who committed the crime.

Most people on here if asked if it was right to hurt or humiliate a dog to cure it's aggression or behaviour problems would say it was wrong. Why then do you feel that it is OK to abuse, hurt and humiliate another human being.

On the deathy penalty...

I often wonder if we are too "kind" to our prisoners ::

Probably but I prefer to have no regrets than want to kill for killing sake.

I totally agree with Mrs Mopp.

On Sadam...

I am opposed to the death penalty so I do not agree with Saddam being excecuted.

He should be taken to the Hague (sp??) tried in a UN court and then sent to prison for the rest of his life, and after they have done that I would like to see George Bush snr and his comrades tried for war crimes for helping put him in power :dry:

Exactly my feelings. But as for his (and his western collaborators') prison sentence, I'm with Bebe, Kathy and others - that it should be hard and unpleasant, ideally with 'visitors' who are relatives of the people he's killed...

Jacjy summs it up well. - both for Sadam, and 'normal' prisoners...

... I think punishment should be punishment..harsh, long and hard punishment. Therefore I think execution is the easy way out for him. TBH I think all prison sentences should be in a small cell, hard bed, toilet and thats it, non of this having TV's, games and socializing that they call prison in this country. They should be made to work (hard manual work) and given the basic food.

See, I just don't get what makes normally kind and caring people want other people to inflict pain, humilation and/or death on other people.

I fully understand why if someone has hurt you or someone close to you and you catch them in the act then you might badly hurt or kill them. I could and probably would do that myself but I couldn't ask some random third parties to do it.

I also don't understand why people incarcerated in prison should be deprived of their human rights, that makes us no better ( and possibly worse ) than the people who committed the crime.

Most people on here if asked if it was right to hurt or humiliate a dog to cure it's aggression or behaviour problems would say it was wrong. Why then do you feel that it is OK to abuse, hurt and humiliate another human being.

I would never suggest inflicting physical pain or depriving anyone of their basic human rights to be fed, watered, sheltered and free from fear of physical violence. But I do think being made to hear, first hand, the results of his actions, the hurt, the pain caused ( same with other prisoners for that matter) is a good thing. Forcing people see the horrible repercussions of their actions, and offering some sort of a release for victims and their families.

Maybe this could be deemed mental cruelty, but I think its a pretty apt punishment myself...

As for tough prison conditions, why not? Why shouldn't prison be unpleasant?

Nutritionally adequate but not-very-nice food, warmth, water, somewhere to sleep and good medical treatment should - of course - be provided, but why not bloody hard work too? Facilities to learn should be available, but as a treat and a reward, not something you get rewarded for using! Rehabilitation and therapy should be compulary, not opt-in, and things like TV and recreation facilities should only be allowed if priosioners work hard and earn them! Let prisioners pay for their own upkeep by actually WORKING and not getting paid for it...

At the risk of sounding like a daily mail reader, I do think prison *can* be too easy, and has become less of a detterant than it apparently used to be. That said, I've never been to prison, so don't really know, and am just basing my opinions on what I've read, and conversations with a mate-of-a-mate who has been inside before, and has described it as 'a piece of piss'...

Totally agree.

Nutritionally adequate but not-very-nice food, warmth, water, somewhere to sleep and good medical treatment should - of course - be provided, but why not bloody hard work too? Facilities to learn should be available, but as a treat and a reward, not something you get rewarded for using! Rehabilitation and therapy should be compulary, not opt-in, and things like TV and recreation facilities should only be allowed if priosioners work hard and earn them! Let prisioners pay for their own upkeep by actually WORKING and not getting paid for it...

At the risk of sounding like a daily mail reader, I do think prison *can* be too easy, and has become less of a detterant than it apparently used to be. That said, I've never been to prison, so don't really know, and am just basing my opinions on what I've read, and conversations with a mate-of-a-mate who has been inside before, and has described it as 'a piece of piss'...

I agree prison can be too easy and it does need to be a deterrant. But equally if you just punish people but don't do anything about what caused them to commit crime in the first place then all you are doing is exposing them to useful contacts and making them feel even more alienated. Maybe it's naive but I do like to believe that there aren't many truly bad people out there, just people who have been badly affected by their circumstances. For that reason I think there should be more emphasis on rehabilitation in prisons. They should be educated and given skills and yes I agree made to work so that they can help pay for the cost of their stay.

In the case of someone like Saddam who would never be released if he weren't killed then the facilities should be basic and they should be made to work hard for their upkeep.

I do understand what you're saying but would you rather see him in prison forever being cared for very well and above all being safe from all those wanting revenge? I understand he has his own website and is able to get messages to his supporters. How has that stopped him from anything?

I work with a Kurd, who's family has suffered death/torture etc. due to Saddam and along with (according to news reports) quite a few Iraqui's would happily be the one to kill him.

I don't agree with the death sentence, but it's hard to argue the case with somebody who has been affected personally. :(

I don't see how you can compare Saddam Hussein with a dog. He as a human being is capable of rational thought and would be fully aware of what he was doing and of the consequences of his actions. Yet he went ahead and tortured and murdered his own people in the most heinous manner. :(

If a dog has aggression or behaviour problems it is for very different reasons and is not the dog's fault :(

I don't see how you can compare Saddam Hussein with a dog. He as a human being is capable of rational thought and would be fully aware of what he was doing and of the consequences of his actions. Yet he went ahead and tortured and murdered his own people in the most heinous manner. :(

If a dog has aggression or behaviour problems it is for very different reasons and is not the dog's fault :(

I completely agree, and most of us who are kind considerate people wouldn't condemn someone for taking a truly dangerous dog to be PTS. However I agree that you can't compare him to a dog....dogs don't deserve that comparison.

Ditto here, it's interesting to read/watch details of different countries approaches to prison and how it impacts the recidivism rates.

It does appear that where a truly rehabilitative approach is taken in prison, it is far more effective than just incarcerating people for the time of their sentence. The US approach of three strkes and you're in prison for the rest of your life, is a truly appalling approach imo, as there appears to be little rehabilitation offered to prisoners in those states with that policy.

I do understand what you're saying but would you rather see him in prison forever being cared for very well and above all being safe from all those wanting revenge? I understand he has his own website and is able to get messages to his supporters. How has that stopped him from anything?

I don't know about the website and if he has one then I would agree that he probably shouldn't have. I would prefer to see him end his days in prison, cared for well and safe from revenge. Justice shouldn't be about revenge and although Saddam has inflicted numerous horrors on people I don't believe that gives us the right to treat him inhumanely.

I work with a Kurd, who's family has suffered death/torture etc. due to Saddam and along with (according to news reports) quite a few Iraqui's would happily be the one to kill him.

I don't agree with the death sentence, but it's hard to argue the case with somebody who has been affected personally. :(

I can't argue with that and if I was personally affected by something he had done I may well feel differently.

Equally it may well not be entirely the fault of the person who committed the crimes. We also are capable of rational thought and for many people it would seem that their rational thoughts make them wish to abuse and/or kill another human being.

Ditto here, it's interesting to read/watch details of different countries approaches to prison and how it impacts the recidivism rates.

It does appear that where a truly rehabilitative approach is taken in prison, it is far more effective than just incarcerating people for the time of their sentence. The US approach of three strkes and you're in prison for the rest of your life, is a truly appalling approach imo, as there appears to be little rehabilitation offered to prisoners in those states with that policy.

Totally agree with that, the more rehabilitation the less people reoffend.

I've known a few people who have done time. I also know and have known quite a few prison officers. Neither the previous offenders nor most of the prison officers believe that being in prison is easy. On the whole they also believe that education and rehabilitation is important.

Sky news is now reporting that it is believed Saddam will be executed tomorrow.

Right in the middle of the Hajj for goodness sakes!

I can't see why they could not wait for an important event/pilgrimage in the lives of Muslims which always seems to cause fatalities due to over crowding etc to be over before they execute him.

As someone who had a Father, Fiance and brother-In-Law and numerous friends and extended family out there when the land war broke out on the 17th Jan 1991, we spend very second, minute and hour of every day wondering about our loved ones out there and praying they were ok and made it back home to us, we had councillors in our schools to help kids get through it. The state of most of those young men who came back shells of what they went out there as.. Should he die "oh yes"

Lack of compassion?? Yes!!! If that makes me as bad as him, then so be it...

I feel for every member of the forces out there and I feel for their families.. I feel for everyone who lost members of their famly out there, we where lucky and got our love ones back, many didn't, and there will be more who don't... So if me wanting him dead, for all the suffering and heartache and long term suffering he has caused, makes me as bad as him then I'll take that, but I'd defy you to sit and watch a grown man cry and shake with fear just from hearing fireworks, because of Desert Storm..

As someone who had a Father, Fiance and brother-In-Law and numerous friends and extended family out there when the land war broke out on the 17th Jan 1991, we spend very second, minute and hour of every day wondering about our loved ones out there and praying they were ok and made it back home to us, we had councillors in our schools to help kids get through it. The state of most of those young men who came back shells of what they went out there as.. Should he die "oh yes"

Lack of compassion?? Yes!!! If that makes me as bad as him, then so be it...

I feel for every member of the forces out there and I feel for their families.. I feel for everyone who lost members of their famly out there, we where lucky and got our love ones back, many didn't, and there will be more who don't... So if me wanting him dead, for all the suffering and heartache and long term suffering he has caused, makes me as bad as him then I'll take that, but I'd defy you to sit and watch a grown man cry and shake with fear just from hearing fireworks, because of Desert Storm..

This sums it up for me :GroupHug: