UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

Awww how cute is Banner, she looks a natural at agility didn't seem to phase her at all :wub:

Well done Wanda, great to hear you are both out struting your stuff again :biggrin:

Hope the new farrier can sort Blue out, he sounds a good one, my farrier is great too he will call if running more than 10 mins late, and I can get hold of him whenever I have a problem, like last night and Loki coming in from the field having removed the frog protection from his bar shoe, which my farrier said is not possible so I had to send him a pic to prove it!

Aww Banner :wub: :wub:

Well am still in love with new farrier (shame he's married :laugh: ). He was running a bit late, so he sent me a message to let me know. He then came up and put new shoes on, stayed for a brew and a chat about how him and his other half are. Blue was really good for him and stood no bother. Just walked him out in hand and he was a lot happier, really striding out and not sore at all :biggrin: James said that he has quite thin soles, which is why he went so lame when his shoes came off.

I'm sick of rain! We had an absolute downpour last night, the chickens, Monty shet, Lilli shet and Harry cob were all flooded out, Harry is at the top end and his box was a foot deep so the lower boxes must have been much deeper and all were inches deep in mud that had washed off the field, through the turnout and down the yard! The woodchip track down to the fields has gone, lord knows where and the arena has lost a lot of surface. I've had to dump all Lilli's bedding and wash out the mud, her rubber mats were so coated I had to wash them before I could get them out and the mud reeks like a poke of devils! We have an amazing lake in the middle of the shets field, fortunately they have loads of much higher areas to escape to and equally fortunately they are out at night, otherwise they would have been doing breaststroke round their stables. Lilli loves water and was happily playing in the lake, she was the only happy person about though! She's taken over the foaling box in the barn and Monty went with her so they are ok, All the other horses in and out were fine, we are coping with the clean up and no-one got hurt or drowned so it could have been worse.

I can only imagine what it must be like for the unfortunate people who have their houses flooded out!

Oh no, poor horses :( hope you all dry out soon!

Glad Blue's feet are sorted :)

Well ive had an eventful week, we're moving again :laugh: in all seriousness its been very stressful. Milo was fine for the first few days at the new yard, until a mare in the neighbouring field kindly came into season. I have never seen anything like it. I got down there tuesday morning to find him galloping up and down the fence line, screaming, eyes out on stalks, mare screaming for him, spraying etc, waving her bum around, you know the general mare stuff! Anyway he was in such a state about this mare I had to put him in a field on his own. He still continued the mental behaviour so I ended up having to stable him and thats pretty much how its been all week. He has attacked his new friend Barley as obviously he thinks his mare belongs to him, and one of the horses in the mares field is now lame because of all the frantic running around. Ofcourse the owner of the mare refuses to move her, the YO says we cant change field so all in all, I have to move.

So, a few sleepless nights later i think ive managed to find myself a little gem.

I was contacted yesterday by a man who owns a house in the neighbouring village and has 3 fields behind his house. He owns them but has not the faintest clue about horses. His daughter who is 15 is absoloutely desperate for her own horse and he is looking for someone to let her look after their horse so she can learn all about it, before taking the plunge into buying their own. So the deal is, if I let her look after Milo and I teach her all about horses, I get to keep him there for free. Im going to see it tomorrow. Its right next to the forrestry commision so the hacking will be amazing. He will be on his own with the saftey of being in someones back garden so he will be being watched all the time. They have running water but no stables/storage etc but thats not too much of a problem.

Hope its as good as it sounds anyway :)

Oh no :( You really are having a tough time getting him settled :GroupHug: I do have to say though, that I love forestry commission areas. Never ridden around them (as there are none near us), but have walked around them on holiday with the dogs and they are lovely.

Blue is still feeling fine with his feet :) He also behaved very well today when I was walking him out, as I was walking down the lane (single track, just wider than one car), when a car comes up. Thankfully I had my hi viz tabard and hat band on, so she saw me and stopped. She then leaves a gap just wider than Blue's bum for us to walk past, commenting that there was grass to distract him :unsure: :laugh: Anyway, she had switched her engine off, and he walked past it no bother at all (except for trying to eat the grass that she mentioned :laugh: ) He doesn't seem to be dragging his toes as much now either, not sure if that is down to the way James has shod him, or whether it's because he's feeling better, but he has been dragging his toes when walking downhill since February, so maybe it was a foot balance thing after all :unsure:

(null)

• Like 1

Hope everything has cleaned up ok PW and you haven't had too much more rain :flowers:

Oh gawd CP what a nightmare :GroupHug: Hope the possible place turns out ok.

Yay fab news Gooster, it would be fantastic if its sorted Blue's lameness out, its amazing the difference a good farrier can make :flowers:

Well the field is very overgrown so Milo will have to survive with a muzzle on but other than that its fine. The fencing is secure but is wire with barbed wire on top (eek) but if it becomes a problem I will run a line of electric fencing around the outside. Ive got hundreds of metres of it and thousands of posts so I could do it pretty quickly if needed. Lots of natural shelter, running water. Really quiet location, a few minutes hack from the wonderful Bramshill Forest and theres a riding school up the road who do little shows and stuff occaisionally. The daughter who wants to learn all about horses is very shy but suddenly got chattier when I showed her a picture of Milo on my phone :laugh: They also own two more large fields that they leave for the wildlife but they have mowed a track around the edge so they have said im more than welcome to ride around the edges of the fields :D

They have got a big trough to put in the field for me and a gate to put back on the hinges so they have said they will do that this afternoon and my plan is to take him down tomorrow. I hope he doesnt mind being on his own! Free livery wahoo :laugh:

Hope Milo is happy and stress free in his new field and look forward to fabulous hacking piccies.

And hope Blues feet are on the mend and any chance of gorgeous farrier piccie :eh:

Glad all the horses are ok PW, scary stuff though Banner :wub: and well done Wanda.

Congratulations Loki & Clare....theres no stopping you two.

Lessons still going good, have been riding Barney :wub: jumped course on Friday and jumping today with no stirrups (actually whole lesson was pretty much with no stirrups).

Rode Phoebe twice last week and once at the start of this week, she got shod a few days ago and was a bit lame so haven’t seen her since.

One of the girls at the yard has her horse there on livery, shes working a lot atm so asked me if I fancied taking Bob out for her, hopped on him on Friday for a couple of minutes and hes lovely (like a bit comfy sofa) :wub:

224484_109198242514214_3609077_n.jpg

Grrr having a bit of a rant!! :mad1: has anyone else see the Eventing Schedule for the Olympics...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/2012/schedule-results/equestrian

What eegit thought it would be a good idea to have the dressage on Saturday and Sunday and the Crosscountry on Monday!! great!! I will be stuck in work and will miss the whole thing!!! for me it was the only redeeming part of the whole fiasco...sorry rant over!!

Grrr having a bit of a rant!! :mad1: has anyone else see the Eventing Schedule for the Olympics...

http://www.bbc.co.uk...ults/equestrian

What eegit thought it would be a good idea to have the dressage on Saturday and Sunday and the Crosscountry on Monday!! great!! I will be stuck in work and will miss the whole thing!!! for me it was the only redeeming part of the whole fiasco...sorry rant over!!

This not a good time to say I have a ticket for the cross country then??