UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

I want Big Jack!!! He is so amazingly chilled out, I just feel like I can relax when I ride him and don't have to be on the constant lookout for horse eating monsters!!

Walking is going ok, although he did go into orbit on Monday as we walked past a house as they closed the curtains. He went mental! So I started him on global herbs super calm yesterday, as he's getting really stressed at the moment. His cribbing and box walking has got so much worse. He won't even stand still when tied at the tie ring. He's constantly moving and fidgeting, think he would move about less if he was in the field!

Hopefully getting his shoes off today, seems little point in keeping them on when he can't be ridden.

It must be lovely to have a horse like that, we are always on the lookout for horse eating monsters too :rolleyes:

How much longer does Blue have on box rest?

I've had an interesting morning, finally decided it was time to get my knee looked at its huge, very purple and still numb, the only reason I had put it off is that I work in Ascot and the hospital is at the opposite end of the High Street from my office and its Royal Ascot this week which means we hide in the office and don't venture out.

So I bravely joined the throngs, feeling very scruffy and hobbled to the hospital it wasn't too bad and saw some lovely carriage horses, the way back was harder as I was against the flow and got bashed all over the place! Good news is nothing broken, they called in the trainee nurses to look at it as they rarely seem such an extreme case of bruising :laughingsmiley: she thinks it will be months rather than weeks for it to settle down and I just have to be careful about blood poisoning due to all the blood hanging around in my knee. Riding is quite painful but now I know nothing serious going on I will just get on with it and try not to fall off jumping on Sunday :biggrin:

Now where did the manky body parts thread go???!!! Your bruising would fit in well there! Hope it's feeling better soon :flowers:

Blue is allowed small paddock turnout from 16th July, so not too long to go really :) He was bucking in his stable today at protest to me spending time with Jack. As the weather is so awful here, all horses have been brought in for a couple of days. As Jack's owner is still away, I sorted Jack's stable out. Blue was not pleased at all about this, and pulled faces at everyone and started bucking in his stable :laugh: :rolleyes: On a more positive note, the fact that all the horses are in, meant that I could take him down the hill tonight on his walk :)

Well its all misery here I'm afraid!

Had a massive fall out with my YO last week and she has made it quite clear she wants me to leave. Despite me making suggestions that (i think) are logical idea she has refused and been really quite nasty. So anyway, have taken it upon myself to look for somewhere else.

Tomorrow I've got 2 yards lined up to see, one is literally next door to where I am now but bigger and more basic. They allow 24hr turnout and he would go in with one other gelding. The second is part of a huge farm, they said he could go in with another gelding or they would also do individual turnout! On the plus side, both are cheaper than my current yard!

Poor milo getting dragged from pillar to post :(

Gooster glad you're having fun! Clare, be careful on that knee! :laugh:

Well I've organised to move Milo next weekend - to the yard next door :laugh:

It is basically a proper farm - its a bit of a tip and everything is kind of slung together but really for what I need its fine. Its right next door so obviously the hacking is exactly the same, they have no purpose built school but they ride/jump in the field. They have stables and I get one in my price (which is £50 a month cheaper than current yard!!). The good thing is that they have 26 acres and only 12 horses so tonnes of grazing to go round. The owner (the farmer) showed me the 2 fields Milo will be rotated between, both are enormous and the grass is knee height. They take really good care of the grazing and harrow/roll/seed/fertilise/de-weed. He would share with one other horse or if they don't get on they can stay separated as they strip graze the fields anyway as the grazing is so lush. So basically in terms of facilities i will be lacking in a school but saving £50 a month on livery and definitely won't need to spend much money on feed!!! The few horses i saw come in whilst I was there were immaculate and wonderfully shiny so think they're all well kept and looked after.

• Like 2

Fingers crossed this is the last move you have to make :flowers:

Blue was a right git this morning on his walk. We have now increased to 10 minutes twice a day, so to be kind to his newly unshod feet, I took him along the grassy track. Despite knowing he's not allowed to graze as we go along, that didn't stop him constantly pulling my arm out of my socket to eat. Then we got to quite a big puddle, at which point he launched himself up the banking at the side of the path and refused to move. He then nearly pushed me over into the puddle (which it turned out was about 6 inches deep!). Anyway, got him to move in the end. Needless to say we won't be going that way again.

(null)

Big Jack is gorgeous but so is Blue even if he is a rascal :heart:

Hope Milos move goes smoothly and you get settled into the new yard.....not fair all the hassle you're having.

Ouch Ouch Ouch Clare…..take it easy.....piccie are fab though.

Good lessons this week, rode Barney yesterday, jumping over pole and up onto bank and down off the other side and another couple of bigger jumps, first time I was sitting too far forward and he slid to a halt at the second one but next time instructor was shouting ‘sit back sit back’ and he jumped both perfectly.

Phoebe sound again so think im riding her tomorrow afternoon and if all goes well we’re taking her along with the girls loan horse to do some xc next week. Cant wait :pinkie:

Glad you are enjoying your riding EAD :flowers:

Having a major wobble today. Went to take Blue out for a walk this morning and he was really lame. Couldn't get him out of his stable. I think is is just incredibly footsore since having his shoes off :mecry: I think I have made a really bad decision getting his shoes taken off, as he was not lame at all on his walks before they came off. Have sent a text to my farrier this morning, and will ring him at lunch if he hasn't replied. Am really worried I have made him much worse by taking his shoes off :mecry:

Good luck at the new yard CP, sounds nice :flowers:

Hope you had a nice ride on Phoebe :biggrin:

Sometimes they can take time to adjust Gooster, perhaps he would be better with just the backs off they seem to cope better with that. Try not to worry its unlikley you've done any damage I'm sure if you put the shoes back on he'd be fine, your farrier wouldn't have taken them off if he'd thought it would be detrimental to his problems :flowers:

Had a very interesting jumping lesson with the new trainer and I'm pleased to announce I didn't fall off :laughingsmiley: Not sure I'll see any benefits eventing this weekend as lots to change and when my brain goes into panic competition mode Im not sure I'll remember but hopefully after some lessons we might be able to improve a bit. Just hoping the weather stays nice and its not cancelled!

I think it can be a bit of a shock to them when the shoes come off at first....there are some really good 'bare foot' websites that might offer some reasuurance....

Glad you didnt fall off in your jumping lesson...:)

Thanks guys, one of the girls on the farm went through this about 18 months ago, so she has been great. She had a look at his feet last night and is going to pad his feet tonight. He has also been introduced to Marmite and bute sandwiches, he loves them!!

Yep footsore is horrible to witness and can take a while to resolve. You could borrow/but hoof boots to lead him out in and take off in field or stable. Talking of which i'm looking for size 0 boa boot [just one] if anyone knows of a secondhand one going as Bumble is sore after a foot trimming.

Dont know if its reached english news yet but something terrible happened yesterday in Sark which is just a short boat trip from Guernsey.

http://www.thisisguernsey.com/news/2012/06/27/121971/

Yep footsore is horrible to witness and can take a while to resolve. You could borrow/but hoof boots to lead him out in and take off in field or stable. Talking of which i'm looking for size 0 boa boot [just one] if anyone knows of a secondhand one going as Bumble is sore after a foot trimming.

Dont know if its reached english news yet but something terrible happened yesterday in Sark which is just a short boat trip from Guernsey.

http://www.thisisgue...2/06/27/121971/

I saw this on the news yesterday very very sad for the families of those involved