UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

Oh no! Hope saddler has just gone away for a couple of days :flowers:

Just spoken to the vet who did the scan yesterday. She thinks he may have iliac thrombosis, so basically a clot in his artery that supplies his back legs. She wants to come up tonight and take some blood from him to see if it is that or not. If it is, the prognosis is not good :mecry:

Nope, I even rang Leahurst to check if they had done bloods or anything to rule that condition out, the receptionist couldn't tell me, but said my vets can phone and speak to their vets and discuss what they think it may be. New vet wants to come and do a consultation on Blue so that she has more information when she speaks to them.

Also got my invoice from Leahurst today, they charged £20.52+ vat for some antibiotic eye ointment! I can get the same stuff for a fiver! He didn't even have a gammy eye! At least I know for next time what to use :rolleyes:

Well, spoken to the vet who did the scan this evening, and I suspect I know why there was the difference. It was really warm in his stable, and where he stands whilst eating his hay net, his right hind is in full sunlight and left hind is in the shade. That's why I think there was a difference. Anyway, she came up to see him tonight to have another feel of his legs, then hit me with a bill for £120 :angry: She said they felt more even today, so the chances of him having a clot are lower now based on what she has seen now. I told my YO that she charged me and she couldn't believe how much. I think am going to stick with my normal vet from now on!

(null)

I can't believe she charged you that much when asking for volunteers, thats terrible especially when its obvious from what shes now said that she doesn't really understand whats shes doing with the machine :ohno02:

Ok so I have now left messages for three different saddlers and none have come back to me :rolleyes:

Hope youve all had a nice relaxing jubilee weekend!

Milo met his new friend Patch (another coloured cobby jobby just short of 14hh) and all was calm, Milo did his usual bum-biting trying to get patch to run around but other than that they have been pretty chilled. Last night I decided to leave him out and start his new 'living out' routine. I brought him up to the yard to eat his tea, and when I clipped the leadrope back on to lead him back down to the field he looked absoloutely mortified! Poor pampered pony :laugh: So anyway I put him back out and he started grazing again so left them to it.

This morning when I got down to the yard I couldnt see him and started pannicing. Then as I got closer I could see him laying flat out in the field. I really thought he was dead, he didnt respond when i called him. As I got closer he noticed me and reluctantly got up. I checked him all over expecting to find some horrific injury and there was nothing! I led him back to the yard and he was like a sloth....he ate his breakfast then I led him back down to the field...again like a sloth. I think he is absoloutely knackered from being out last night, ive never seen him look so tired. The last time he was out at night was 9 months ago so I guess hes been used to laying down and having a good sleep every night but obviously last night he didnt! I was going to take him for a nice long hack today but as hes so tired and the weather is foul I dont think I will.

Poor Milo Monkey :(

How is Blue doing?

Glad Milo approved of his new friend, hope he adjusts to his new routine quickly :flowers:

Finally got hold of a saddler on Friday, the lady who sold me the latest dressage saddle. There was a possibility she could come out today she was just waiting for someone else to confirm an appointment but as I've heard nothing from her since I guess she is not coming, but will call again to check :rolleyes: Otherwise it will be next week, and won't leave us much (any!) time to get used to the saddle, assuming she has one suitable, before eventing on the 17th, so not ideal to say the least.

It meant I had to bite the bullet and jump in my dressage saddle yesterday, I really struggle in it for any forward seat work it gives me really bad back trouble, so doing interval training and jumping probably wasn't the best idea but was very happy with him he went well and rewarded me with nice jumps from a short bouncy canter and kicked them down when I went on a flyer, its sooo hard to hold and really not as much fun :D Me on the other hand is creaping around like I am 100 and can hardly move this morning :laughingsmiley:

Aww Milo :wub: :laugh:

Hope saddler managed to get to you yesterday Clare so you don't have to jump in your dressage saddle again :flowers:

Blue is still bored out of his box, bought some apples to put in his water bucket today for him to play with. Also bought him a swede to see if he has changed his mind about the taste. Am keeping my eyes out for rubber ducks to put in his water bucket, but not found any yet :rolleyes:

(null)

I told you!!! I knew you would be fab!!

Well it seems I've joined the 'fluffy' brigade! That's a tongue in cheek comment but it's how the livery yard are seeing me at the moment! As I can't ride and Banner will not drive we have decided to do horse agility and Banner is being amazing! She is doing the weave, walk across a tarp, between barrels, over a jump and through a curtain, (ribbony fly type). We have to make an archway with a half circle at the bottom to jump through and before the turn of the century the A frame, horse walk and seesaw come into it all! Then I have to teach her do do it loose, mmm, all I can see her doing is legging it over the horizon. :laughingsmiley:

It takes ages to set it all up but it's great fun and we can compete on line, watch this space!

Wondering what Blue is going to do with rubber ducks :laughingsmiley:

Grrr getting a bit fed up with saddlers. So by Wednesday morning still not heard back so I text to say that I presumed she wasn't coming out as hadn't heard and could I book her next available appointment. She came back and said still hadn't heard back from client so wasn't sure what she was doing but could see me on Friday 9.30am. I said fine and have booked the morning off. Just got a text to say client that messed her around on Wednesday now wants my Friday appointment and could I change to lunchtime :mad: Have text back saying no as only have half day booked off, but you would think if this other person has messed her around so much she should just fit in around other appointments...... phew rant over, of course if she comes back and tries to put my appointment back to next week I will have to do it , I know the saddler just wants to keep everyone happy but I really don't think its fair :mad2:

Best of luck for tomorrow Clare, hope you get it sorted!

Well Milo has disgraced himself already. Two nights out and he's reverted back to his old ways of chasing and bum biting :( Had a call from YO last night to say he was being a complete arse, his friend was moved back with the others and now he's on his own. I really don't know what to do with him! I will speak to YO this evening and see what she wants to do. It's a shame his legs can't withstand being stabled, he's better off in at night to keep him out of trouble! Why can't I have a social horse...hmph :(

Well if he doesnt need the grass at night Id stick him out with a muzzle on....that will take the wind out of his sails....

Best of luck for tomorrow Clare, hope you get it sorted!

Well Milo has disgraced himself already. Two nights out and he's reverted back to his old ways of chasing and bum biting :( Had a call from YO last night to say he was being a complete arse, his friend was moved back with the others and now he's on his own. I really don't know what to do with him! I will speak to YO this evening and see what she wants to do. It's a shame his legs can't withstand being stabled, he's better off in at night to keep him out of trouble! Why can't I have a social horse...hmph :(

These horses never make things easy do they! Could he go in a little sectioned off area with no or little grass and some hay overnight and then go out in the field as normal during the day, he then might be more interested in grass than playing?

Saddler came, all is good I have a new saddle :biggrin: We had two options one was an old second hand saddle she had in the van that might fit him and we could put a air pad underneath it to still give him the air feel that he seems to like, if that didn't work she had a new WOW saddle I could try, when she told me how much that option would be I kept everything crossed option one would work :ohmy:

Thankfully it did, its not a well know make and its brown but Loki said he liked it even without the air pad so just shows there was something about that other saddle he did not like, we think probably the tree points. The best news of the day was that she templated him and compared it to the one a month ago and his girth measurement is the same but he has built up muscle already, so we must be on the right track.

Now can it just stop raining and I can look forward to next weekend!

Just thinking about Blue being bored, have you thought of doing some clicker training with him Gooster?

Glad the saddle worked out Clare!

Would Blue like a football in a haynet to bat around Gooster or as has been said, clicker training.

CP I was thinking about Milo and his bum biting, have you tried a calmer or even rig calm. He could have the tiniest bit of testicular tissue that releases testosterone, he then would be a bit driven to be bossy and not necessarily be a rig or show stallion like behaviour apart from the bullying.

Glad you have found a new saddle Clare :)

Do you think Milo will settle down once the pecking order in the field has been established? Blue came in with horrendously torn rugs last year for the first few weeks they were out 24/7 (in the end I told him he wasn't allowed any new ones unless he looked after them :laugh: ), but they did settle down after a couple of weeks, once they had sorted out who was boss.

The swede was a big success, he hadn't touched it last night, but found it at some point since I sorted him last night and demolished it :laugh: He is also liking bobbing apples in his water bucket. Managed to get 2 rubber ducks yesterday, haven't seen him play with them yet, but some water had gone out of that bucket (he has 2 buckets, one had apples in, the other had his ducks in), so am thinking he must have had a play. I tried clicker training him on the last farm, trouble I had with him was that he did get a bit nippy for treats (however since he is currently trying to take chunks out of me anyway, suppose it can't be any worse :rolleyes: :laugh: ). As the weather has been so horrid here the last week and a bit, the YO is thinking of bringing all the horses in for a few days, as they are all stood around the gate looking miserable and not eating anything, so all the gateways are being totally trashed and I don't think the horses are too happy either. Keep reminding Blue how lucky he is to be in at the moment - don't think he believes me :laugh:

(null)