UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

Aww Banner I can sympathise I have the same problem! They seem to put it on so quickly don't they and it must be extra hard for ponies that you can't increase the work too much, regular interval training is always my friend when Loki starts to pile it on.

Glad the physio visit went well CP :flowers:

Sadly no video of my test, my camera man had the cheek to go off for the day doing his own thing :ohmy:

We went to Tweseldown horse trials today to try and get some more points to help qualify for the Southern championships. Dressage went ok not our best or worst test and was pleasantly surprised with 33.

I choked it in the showjumping though :mecry: It was a really spooky course with every filler you could think of and in my mind I hadn't really done any spooky jumps since I fell off so I had a real panic about it, in the warm up I couldn't find the canter we needed and he was jumping very flat rattling the fences, and we went in and continued in the same fasion very flat fast and fighting about sums it up, we were lucky to come out with 4 fences down. As soon as I came out I wanted to go back in and jump it properly but hopefully it will at least give me confidence that we can do it and now I need to ride in the present and not go into default panic mode.

When I walked the xc I was pretty dissapointed as it seemed quite easy for us, other than a spooky hay cart early on I thought we'd probably skip round the rest ok, which we did and inside the time.

Even with the showjumping we finished 12th out of 40, and another "if only" day :rolleyes: But much rather have showjumping issues and have a fab xc horse as I do :wub_anim:

• Like 1

At least you know you can do it, I still think you are amazing for doing eventing!

Rode Blue tonight - I have been off today and spent the day with my mum. As he can be nappy on his own, but is ok with someone on foot, I roped my mum into walking with us. He was an absolute superstar. We just went down the lane to the reservoir and back and be was brilliant, I was so proud of him!

CB4F7EE1-C709-4135-A614-697AA06BF499-988-000003E0772CA152.jpg

86C8531D-B7A2-4CFD-8D26-F40E23C81863-988-000003E078DBBC1C.jpg

(null)

He did seem really happy, fidgeted a bit at the mounting block, but was really good considering I haven't sat on him since April!

His exercise plan is

WEEK 1- Light hacking, walking only for up to 20 minutes per day.

WEEK 2 -Light hacking, walking only for over 20 minutes per day.

WEEK 3- Introduce light school work, full school and large circles only, start to include some trot work for up to 20 minutes

WEEK 4- Light schooling walk and trot for over 20 minutes

WEEK 5- Schooling start to include some canter work

Week 6 - Schooling include canter work

However, depending on how he responds it may change. If he goes lame again, then I have to stop and rest him again. The one thing I am concerned about though is that he was never 'lame', as such when ridden, he just wasn't willing to bend to the left. Since he has had a load of time off, I can imagine his suppleness will be a bit pants, so I am not sure how I am going to tell whether he is lame, or just not supple... Will just go off my gut instinct I suppose and if in doubt, I'll get the vet out again.

Well it looks like Annie is developing a dust allergy, great eh? I'm putting her on hage and also bedding on paper as of tomorrow but owners of where i am dont want paper on muck heap so i'll have to pay at tip to dispose of it. Trouble is the good dust free shavings are over £9 a bale, straw is £8 a bale whereas the paper is £2 for huge sack and its the little chunky chopped stuff. Bumbles decided to be sore on his feet but think that was his fault for thinking he was a 2yr old racehorse yesterday! I give up, lol.

£8 for a bale of straw???????? Is that a little bale? We only pay £3, and when I went up to the farm the other day, my fabby YO had put a load of straw in my stable that they had swept out of the barn :) I love my YO!

Have hacked Blue out most days since Thursday - missed a couple of days as the weather was horrendous, but he had been an absolute superstar. Today we went down the hill, to be confronted by a tractor unloading bales of hay and the road completely blocked. He was leading, and stood like a rock watching what was going on, until we decided that the people blocking the road were in no hurry to move, so went back up the hill instead. He just seems totally chilled out at the moment, not spooky or nappy, just happy to be ridden again :) I did get a bit annoyed with one of the other liveries that we went out with though. When we turned around, her horse ended up leading, and to be fair was well behaved, considering she has only had the pony 2 weeks and she has never been on that track before. The other horse we hacked out with is going blind due to cataracts, so is a bit more spooky. Anyway, other livery posted on FB about how good her mare was at leading 2 older wimpy horses out. I got quite annoyed at that, because Blue led and was really good with the tractors, and then led on the way home, again absolutely no wimpy behaviour shown at all. The other horse we went with was fine too, and if she does spook, she has a valid reason!!!! Grrrrr :angry:

I think next time she want to hack out Id let her go on her own then.... you cant treat other liveries on your yard like that (especially if you want them to hack with you)...its like bad mouthing people you work with on FB its stupid....

I said that to Sarah, hopefully next time she won't want to come, as she also complained it was a short hack! Both Blue and Hilary are coming back from injury, not sure what she expected!!

I thought I might have been over sensitive, glad you agree she was out of order :)

I can't believe you have to pay £8 for a small straw! That's scary money! How much is your hay?

Ooh that film looks good, will add it to my wish list thanks :flowers:

Sounds like someone to avoid hacking with, let her go alone next time and she how brave she is then :hehehmn: To be honest sounds like somone wanting to boost about their new pony to her friends.

Hope Bumble has recovered from his racehorse impression :wub_anim:

There must be something in the air at the moment as a few on our yard are suffering with their breathing.

Had an email through from a local show centre saying they are doing all day clear round showjumping on grass on Saturday, its probably the perfect thing for us to do, as no pressure and very low key - even that has got me wibbling - where has my showjumping phobia come from :confused:

I'm thinking of doing a novice dressage test in a few weeks, although having just read it I reserve the right to change my mind :D

Hay at the moment is around £5 to £6 small bale off the fields and large rounds are about £60 but the prices increase as hay gets in short supply. Last winter towards the end rounds were around £75 to £80. Very scary money. Sometimes you feel like crying when you see how cheap you can buy it in england but on an island you've got no choice but to pay.

Bumble slightly sore but better , just wish he'd remember hes an ageing lammi not a young un!

Annie breathing is better just a slight wheeze rather than the heaving we've been having. She was still on shavings last night but a minimum amount as they were meant to stay out but i worry about Bumble when hes sore and wanted him on his deep bed. She walked in her stable and looked stunned that her big bed was gone :laughingsmiley: Paper bed tonight!

Clare, you'll be fine :D

Good Luck Milo and CP, hope it all goes well!

Come on Clare, positive mental attitude and all that for the jumping, go with the intention to use it as a schooling session! Novice tests are a bit of an eeeek at first glance I know, there seems to be so much to do. You'll have it sorted by the time the comp comes round!

I hate the weather! The lower yard flooded again last night, Harry cob, Little Lilli, Monty, the chickens and the tool shed were 2ft in water and the yard is covered in mud. All the bedding is soaked and had to be chucked out, we have had to take all the mats out to clean underneath, the mud has to be shifted quickly before it dried out in today's annoyingly blazing sun! We have a huge lake in one field and a colony of ducks instantly moved in, they always arrive, how on earth do they know the lake is back?