UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

I know nowt about horses or their activities but love them all the same so I often look in here.

Is that your horse in the vids Blue? What a fabulous looking boy wub.gif

Someone wants to have a word with the people who put those poles up in the show jumping tho. I noticed them coming off with the breeze. They really ought to do a better job of fence assemblage than that ohmy.gif

Brilliant, well done :biggrin: He's looking great in the videos :) When's your next one? :unsure: :biggrin:

Blue has had the last week off ridden work whilst i concentrate on his exercises, think he enjoys them as he tends to get his little boy's bit out when we do them :rolleyes: :laugh: he's been tearing around the field today though, so I think he is feeling well :wub: Will ride him on Tuesday and see how he goes.

Well done Clare :wink:

Hope Blue is feeling better and Milo is improving :GroupHug:

Think the last time I posted I was having trouble with Magic running away with me, well we had a lesson at I think the end of January then a break because of illness/friend in hospital.

Back last week and he was a good boy, then on Saturday the first half of the lesson went great, very controlled canter, jumped a couple of small xpoles, then went to go over a slightly larger jump and he charged at it like a bat out of hell. I was threw up out of the saddle, lost a stirrup though by some miracle landed back in the saddle again.

Ive lost a bit of confidence on him and its really frustrating and im cross with myself.

Im not pushing him forward enough with my leg and holding him at the same time, just sitting there like a passenger and hes taking charge.

Young girl from the yard rode him and said yes hes strong but he didnt take off with her.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Think I might be taking alternate lessons on another horse for the next few weeks and see how I get on.

Hi EAD, wondered where you had gone!! Hope you are well :flowers:

Don't get disheartened by magic. Cobs are renowned for being very clever and very strong and in a lot of cases its true. If magic is being used for lots of lessons he will be a) very fit and strong and b) bored and trying to make life a bit more interesting! I know milo anticipates everything and if he doesn't think I'm paying attention can bomb of, especially at jumps.

You just have to be really on the ball and keep him thinking, try and catch him out a bit so he starts to listen. Try to use your seat and core muscles to keep him together rather than your hands, although I know how hard it is, believe me!

I hope you can get your confidence back like you say maybe have a few lessons on another horse first. Let us know how it goes!

I'm really cross with milo. Last week he was looking great, then yesterday he came in with a big kick wound on his knee and was lame again behind. Obviously I can't trust him to behave himself and he's been charging around so he's been relegated back to his pen and I've cancelled my appointment with the vet on Wednesday and moved it back a week. Someone remind me why I'm going through all this?!?!

EAD good to see you back :biggrin: Don't beat yourself up, cobs are clever beings and he has now been in the riding school for a while and sounds like he is just getting a bit cute with it all. Perhaps get your confidence back on another horses then set some ground rules with cheeky Magic. Just a thought but I remember he had started hunting a while back that can rev some up and blow their brains a bit :flowers:

I feel for you CP its so frustrating when they are pratting around in the field and causing themselves problems its heart breaking :GroupHug:

Hope Blue is back to normal tomorrow :flowers:

Super vids Clare, slow that trot in the dressage and carry the hand to lighten the forehand! SJ exactly as you said, over rode a tad but some really nice jumps, XC looking very good! Not surprised a few nerves crept in, you've taken a big step upwards. Loki is looking superb, he has so much ability, can't wait to see a medium trot!

I hope all the broken horses mend soon!

:ohmy: Loki fantastic :wub:

:GroupHug: Milo and Blue

My gang are ok at the moment but waiting for disaster to strike any day :rolleyes: as i make my last payment on vet bill this week. Currently got a hamster and a cat vying for vet appointment so its only a matter of time till the equine gang [who caused the massive over £1000 vet bill] decide to join in the 'who needs the vet' competition :rolleyes: :laugh:

Little Fern :wub: , please can someone tell her that when i'm giving her a good scratch and she decides to groom me in return that my boobs are not the best place to start :ohmy: It hurts!!!

Well done Clare :wink:

Hope Blue is feeling better and Milo is improving :GroupHug:

Think the last time I posted I was having trouble with Magic running away with me, well we had a lesson at I think the end of January then a break because of illness/friend in hospital.

Back last week and he was a good boy, then on Saturday the first half of the lesson went great, very controlled canter, jumped a couple of small xpoles, then went to go over a slightly larger jump and he charged at it like a bat out of hell. I was threw up out of the saddle, lost a stirrup though by some miracle landed back in the saddle again.

Ive lost a bit of confidence on him and its really frustrating and im cross with myself.

Im not pushing him forward enough with my leg and holding him at the same time, just sitting there like a passenger and hes taking charge.

Young girl from the yard rode him and said yes hes strong but he didnt take off with her.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Think I might be taking alternate lessons on another horse for the next few weeks and see how I get on.

School ponies all get a bit like this... he needs a bit of re schooling... dont loose heart they are little monkies.... you will soon have the measure of him

Thanks PW, eventing dressage is odd as in the last two tests we have been marked down for lack of impulsion, which I never get doing pure dressage so I wanted to move it all a bit more forward this time which seemed to pay off as mainly trot work got 7s, but I still had a couple of 6s with lacked implusion :rolleyes: Nice comments though saying "super honest horse that really tried today, lots to like" - does that mean honest horse to put up with the monkey on his back :laugh:

Ouch Fern thats not a good place to groom :ohmy: :laugh: Hope the hamster and cat are ok and the horses don't get competitive :flowers:

How was Blue yesterday when you rode him Gooster?

How is Milo doing now?

Ha Ha, a monkey on his back! :biggrin: Your riding has improved so much I hardly recognise you as the same person!

With the forward and impulsion thingy have a looky at the vid in slow mo if you can, he's forward but not really pushing and engaging the hocks so gets a bit too forward and loose then he's begining to pull along with his front end a tad. You're not that far off, just see if he will take the contact forward but keep the back legs under if that makes any sense. It will help with the sit in canter too. I'm very envious of your lad, he's such a star!

Thanks for asking. He seemed ok. He never works as well when our instructor isn't there (think he tries harder so he gets an extra mint :laugh: ). I only did 20 minutes with him and stayed in walk and trot. I would say that the work I got out of him was equal to what I usually achieve after 20 minutes when I am schooling alone. Didn't want to push him too much though, so as soon as I felt him drop onto a nice even contact in the trot, I decided to stop. He was most upset though as I forgot to take his mints up to the school, so he had to wait till he got back to his stable :laugh: :rolleyes: Not going to see him tonight or tomorrow as am working late shifts. Am going to have my lesson on Friday and see how he goes. If he's not right then, then will give the vet a ring :unsure:

I know what you mean PW :flowers: It is slowly coming at home, but I'm not yet confident enough to ask for it in a test, my balancing strap has helped so much too but again don't use that in competition. I'm going to do a dressage test next weekend and try and ride him more as if I was schooling and see if it turns out as bad as I imagine :laugh:

Pics from Saturday are up, wasn't expecting much as the photographer was at the double and we were ultra cautious there as didn't want him trying it on one stride :rolleyes: Quite liking this one, I love his little face in all of them definately thinks he loves xc :wub:

Pic

Glad things sound positive with Blue :flowers: Do you have any dressage pencilled in if he is ok now?

Can't get the link to work Clare :unsure:

Next dressage at croft is at the end of April, so hopefully that will give us chance to get fit and back up to how he was working before I went on holiday - this will teach me to have a holiday! He's not been right since :rolleyes: Blue has started his possessiveness over 'his' mares again. Mum did him last night, and apparently he as in a right mood. There were 2 mares tied up near his stable and he put his ears back at my mum when she got there, which he never does. She tied him up away from the mares whilst she mucked out, whilst he was tied up, another livery wanted to bring her horse past Blue. At this point he started rearing and spinning and pulling faces at the gelding who was being walked past :unsure: He's never been like that before when he's been tied up.