UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

Thanks :flowers: been speaking to mum and dad today about it, and been thinking about whether I could realistically afford another. Will have to see how the world of self employment goes - if I can build up to working 3 locum days a week, I could earn a lot more than I'm on now. Am banning myself from googling things, as am just worrying myself now. Will have to see how Tuesday goes...

I think we are well over due some Fern pics :wub:

Glad the lesson went well EAD :flowers:

Gooster I know its easy to say but try not to worry, and definately don't Google anything :GroupHug: Really hope everything goes well on Tuesday and you come away with a clear idea of how to get Blue back to fitness :flowers:

Saddler came out yesterday and saw the problems with the saddles but unfortuantly its his current shape that is the problem not really the saddles, we are going to try a prolite pad to lift the saddle off his back and get a bit more clearance for his shoulders and the jumping saddle with need a rear riser to keep it in balence for a bit, and then will get them checked again in a month or two and see if he changes shape again, grrr saddles are such a nightmare!

So not having ridden since Monday, other than for the saddle I decided to stick to my plan and do the Open Prelim today in preparation for Mattingly Horse Trials in a couple of weeks. Rather alarmingly he put in some massive bucks when asking for walk to canter on the right rein, which is very out of character, but unfortuantly I only discovered that 30 seconds before I had to go in for my test, so will explore than potential problem in the school tomorrow but it was a concern.

The test went nicely enough, and we broke the 70% mark for the first time with 71.5%, for 2nd place, first place was 71.9% :biggrin: We also got our first 9s :biggrin:

Interesting to see if anyone can see any difference between test and the one from a couple of weeks ago

So hoping the bucking isn't anything too terrible and maybe he was just a bit fresh :rolleyes:

Yeah that second canter came a bit quick for us, I wasn't organised enough from the free walk.

I spoke to the judge afterwards and she said his trot needs jazzing up as it is quite "boring" but she liked his walk and canter :unsure:

Will be interesting to have a play in the school tomorrow and see what he is like, the osteopath said that he would needs lots of schooling to undo the crockedness but not sure how I am supposed to influence that right hind to stop it cutting across, lots of pole work I guess.

A good test Clare, some really nice work there and an improvement on the last one for sure. The following comments are really, really picky but hopefully helpful. Slap me with a wet fish please if I get on your nerves!

Some really nice trot strides but he did lose connection and throughness on occasion, steady those corners and ride them as a few handbrake turns crept in, keep the outside leg on! The canter was forward and had a good rhythmn but lacked jump and was a tad tight over his back but that will all come together as he gets stronger. Ride the downward transitions especially into walk, don't let him collapse into it, give and retake the reins not clear enough and he lost self carriage and outline. His last two left turns were really very nice and his up the centre line trot was balanced and flowing,the halt was good but give it a little more time for the immobility to become established.

Jolly well done both! :flowers:

Edited by Pendlewitch

Well done Clare :flowers:

Good luck tomorrow gooster and blue, will be thinking of you.

Hacked milo again today in the pouring rain, behaved impeccably :) he is most definitely sound as a pound on the bute, his walk is now lovely and swingy! this time round am going to.stick to hacking and minimal school work to see if that helps him.

Am going to see a horse tomorrow, 16.2 8 yr old bay TB gelding called Vinnie. Ex hurdler but apparently very sweet and well behaved. His owner is looking for someone to ride him as she has recently had a hysterectomy and it will be a while before she will be riding again.

Good luck with Vinnie today :flowers:

Just waiting at leahurst now. Initial trot Ups and flexion tests done. Lunged on hard and soft ground. He's definitely lame on both hinds. They are starting his investigations by nerve blocking his hocks. If that works, he is in Milo camp with hock spavins. However the vet doesn't think that will work. If it doesn't work, he'll have to stay overnight and have more nerve blocks tomorrow.

Always appreciate your feedback PW so no wet fish slapping :laugh:

Good luck with Vinnie today, I think I know of him, he is supposed to be very nice if its the same horse :flowers:

Hope something shows up for Blue's lameness and you can get a positive treatment plan :GroupHug: :flowers:

Oh no, not another hock sufferer! Don't worry though gooster, if it is the hocks. My vet said Milo is the only horse he has treated who hasn't responded particularly well and its so common and the rate of success is very high. Milo is just a pain in the arse :laugh: at least you've caught it early!

Went to see Vinnie, didn't ride as they don't have a school and they use their neighbours so said id rather wait to ride until I can go in the school :laugh: he's a nice boy, stood on the yard nice and quietly. A bit lumpy but that's not really for me to worry about! She said he's 16.2 but I think he's bigger. Will see what he's like in the week if I can go back to.ride!

Right. Blue is having a sleepover at leahurst. Hock and foot nerve blocks made no improvement in his symptoms. They then isolated the fetlock and the tendon sheath. This seemed to improve his lameness and make him more forwards. So, tomorrow they are going to block his fetlock in the morning. In the afternoon they are then going to block his tendon sheath. Once that has been done they can then know where to x ray/scan. They are going to ring me tomorrow to update me.

I have been away for a week....honestly I cant leave you five minutes....all my thoughts are with you, Milo and Blue....if Vinne is an ex race horse you could check out the ex racer forum you might get more info though you would need his registered name