UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

Hoping for good news for Loki and Milo today :flowers:

Will check how payment works at Leahurst, however the vet did say I'm better to pay my excess to Leahurst instead of them, as my excess will be more than the cost of the lameness workup they did. I spent all day yesterday constantly checking my phone to check if I had missed a call. I just want it sorted now and for him to be seen! Am such an impatient pants :rolleyes:

Hope you get a call today :flowers:

Osteopath visit went well, kind of sitting here thinking of all the things I wished I'd asked him now but heyho :rolleyes: He found Loki to be sore and "out" in his poll, neck, hips and pelvis. It was very interesting how he could tell me all the schooling issues we have from just touching his body, sadly booting out 5 showjumps probably wasn't one of them :laugh:

No jumping for a week to let everything settle and for him to remember he has a whole body he can use, so that gets me out of going showjumping on Saturday :biggrin: Can still do dressage on Sunday so the long weekend isn't completely wasted.

I'm now in two minds whether to leave riding him until the saddles are checked on Saturday or continue riding in my jumping saddle until then, pretty sure his dressage saddle is too tight now and needs its gullet changing, nothing he found indicated saddle issues but would hate to undo his work for the sake of a few days :unsure:

Hope everything goes ok with the vet today CP :flowers:

Bad news :mecry:

He's still very lame on his left hind (which has always been the problem one) although the vet did comment on how lovely and loose he looks.

The vet feels that really he shouldve come sound after everything he's had - two lots of hock medication and tildren.

The next stage is the 'old fashioned way' - bute him and ride him in walk and trot for 6 weeks and then try to ween him off.

If that doesnt work he has be turned away for 6 months :mecry:

Needless to say im now going to start looking for something else to ride in the mean time. I am desperate to have some jump lessons, go on the riding club clinics, do some fun rides etc this year so am going to ask around.

Poor Milo Monkey :mecry:

Oh no :GroupHug: Keeping everything crossed that the bute works for him :GroupHug: Poor Milo.

I would wait until saddles are checked Clare, as you say, no point undoing all the physio's work for a couple of days with no riding.

Still no call from Leahurst :angry: :rolleyes: I keep thinking about finding one of the other horses on the yard to ride. There is a really nice big WB whose owner doesn't tend to ride much. Depending on the outcome of Blue's tests, I might approach his owner and see if I can have a play on him.

Really hope the bute and work helps get Milo back on track :GroupHug: :flowers:

Thats bad Gooster, Liphook called me within an hour of the vet leaving our yard, I think he called them and the appointment was arranged before the report was sent. I would chase if you've not heard anything by this afternoon (but then we all know I'm an impatient pants :laugh: )

CP, have you asked about fusion of the hock joint? It worked well for YO horse, he is sound now and he has had other major problems. Don't dispair yet, give him some time and he could just come right when your are not expecting it. Would think another x-ray might be an idea!

Blue is going to horsepital on Tuesday. Sods law meant I had swapped a day so I would be working next Tuesday, and as they may need to see him ridden, I need to be there :rolleyes: Anyway, a frantic call to another optician and a large box of hotel chocolat choccied later and I now have Tuesday off. I have to work a Sunday in return, but at least am off to take him to Leahurst.

Well done gooster, good luck Tuesday!

I took Mr monkey out for his first ride in well over a month and he was as good as gold, didn't put a foot wrong. A tear came to my eye as we trundled up the bridlepath, he's such a lovely boy I would be so mortified to turn him away :(

In other news, I put some ads out today to ride a new horse and I've had loads of responses so may well have a new riding buddy soon :)

Aww Milo :wub: :GroupHug:

Just been messaging my friend who is at Leahurst to find out what is likely to happen on Tuesday. Apparently there is a film crew from channel 5 at the moment filming the general goings on there, will have to put some concealer on and make sure am not wearing my holey jods! :laugh: Unfortunately Nic is on placement elsewhere next week, so she won't be around, but she has said if he has to stay there, she will call in and tuck him in at night.

Ohh, so we could have famous fugee and horse :unsure: :biggrin: Hope all goes well :flowers:

Little Fern is so sweet, shes really coming round and i think there a wicked bugger in there waiting to spring out :laugh: If she could be ridden she'd make a fantastic dressage pony with the moves shes been demonstrating lately in the field..more along the lippizaner lines :rolleyes: :laugh: Headcollars are still trouble and have to stay on 24-7 but we're getting there. I can now fidget around with it on her head without scaring her and she now sticks her nose in my face for kisses :wub: Its undoing buckles and putting the headcollar on that scares her senseless and much as i hate leaving it on permantly its better than stressing her out so much but one day we'll get there :rolleyes:

Thanks you lot, I know you'll all understand.

Had lesson last week on a cobby youngster called Mystery, all went well though today she was being a monkey, bucking and half rearing when being made go away from the other horse in the lesson.

Changed onto an older thoroughbred called Alex and had a great lesson. He loves jumping and we were doing some flatwork without stirrups.

Theres a lot to be said for the older more sensible horse.

Hope Blue, Loki and Milo are ok, you're all having a rough time atm.

Broken laptop so on mobile which is a nightmare lol.

Glad you had a good lesson EAD :flowers:Think it has kind of hit me tonight that depending on Tuesday, I might not be able to ride Blue again. I just don't know what I'd do, I've always said he'll go nowhere once he is no longer able to be ridden. I had kind of banked on that being when he's in his 20s though, when I am more financially stable and will be able to afford a second horse. Will still stand by what I say that he will go nowhere if he can't be ridden, but am pretty sure I can't afford another. So just don't know what am going to do :mecry: I don't feel I have the confidence to ride another horse other than Blue, as I know all his little habits and what he's likely to spook at. I think riding a bigger horse than Blue would scare me, as he's the only horse I've ridden at all for the last 4 and a half years, and whilst he can be a complete spanner, he's my little spanner :mecry: Sorry for the wallowing post, but I just needed to 'talk' to someone who understands.

Gooster,don't panic! Big hugs. I know I'm a fine one to talk :laugh: but we all go through those thoughts when something goes wrong.

I am in a similar position. Should milo require 6 months away, there is a absolutely no way I could afford another horse. That is why now I'm looking for another mount to keep me ticking over. I have only ridden 2 other horses since I've had milo, one for 5 mins in the school and one for a quick hack. I am terrified to get on someone else's horse but ultimately I love my riding and could not be faced with doing without it. If milo never comes sound, I will find him a companion loan home so I can keep tabs on him and could come back to me if I can ever afford to have him with me. Ultimately I think we as horse owners have got to be practical about things sometimes. If I had a back garden big enough to put him in I would :laugh:

Best of luck for Tuesday, hope it all goes Ok and that its good news :flowers:

PW, is the hock fusion those alcohol injections?