UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

Blimey Clare, that's organised :biggrin:

Sorry to hear about Hobo :(

Remembered my saddle today for my lesson :biggrin: I think someone has missed being ridden, I always worry that he doesn't enjoy schooling, but he was really up for it today. His ears pricked up when he saw his saddle, and he worked really well. When I asked him to canter, he decided that he wanted to gallop :laugh: :rolleyes:

A new instructor has started training on the yard, there is quite a novice rider with a very green 4 year old. My instructor was teaching her originally, but tbh the rider likes to be seen to be 'fashionable' and because this instructor has a laminated poster on the wall, she has ditched my instructor to go with this other one. This other instructor has told her that her horse will never go in an outline unless it is ridden in draw reins :( Draw reins are controversial at the best of times, but I can see them being even more of a disaster in this case. The horse in question will go in an outline, as my instructor has ridden him, and when he understands what you want, he goes nicely, but he is just too green for his owner.

AAAARRGGGGHHHHH!!! Sounds like a disaster waiting to happen :(

Bless Blue, its nice when they want to work isnt it :laugh:

NOOOOOOOO not draw reins :angry: It still amazes me how 'novice' riders/horse owners buy 4/5 year old horses. It is never going to end well!!!!

Just read my post back, sorry didnt mean Carl, I meant Earl :rolleyes: I was on my phone and it auto-corrected it! Earl, my big grey boy before Milo absoloutely adored Hobo (who was also a grey), they were always together and in bad weather Earl used to shelter tiny Hobo from the wind and rain :wub: I used to call Hobo 'mary poppins' because he was just the most perfect pony - he was the perfect kids pony who would ride in an outline regardless of who rode him, always found the right stride into a jump and would win everything hands down out showing, he was absoloutely stunning. Rest in peace :wub:

Milo went out with his new big friend today, all went well I believe as he came in with no war wounds :laugh:

Ive been getting a bit excited and have booked myself a place on the next dressage clinic with the riding club at the end of march (PLEASE Milo behave yourself and dont embarrass me too much)and am also hoping to go to a XC schooling session which my YO is teaching so hopefeully she will take me in the lorry, thats also end of march.

My friend at the yard is currently trying to convince me to go to a riding club competition mid-april - its an 'area' competition called the liason trophy and is aimed at the people who dont compete at the proper big RC shows so all the jumps and everything are teeny weeny and its all aimed at being fun. Or so she tells me :laugh: She's inviting me to go with her because there will be a space in her lorry. I know I will be up and running by then but to be honest the idea terrifies me but I know once I get going i'll want to do it :rolleyes: Also ive got atleast one person who has said they'll do Frensham Sponsored Ride with me again this year so wont be on my own, so all good news :biggrin:

Sorry to hear about Hobo :GroupHug:

Oh dear draw reins, young horse and inexperienced owner is never going to end well :closedeyes:

Good to hear Blue is happy to be back in work :biggrin:

CP is that the Tracey clinic at the end of March? I warn you one lesson with her and you will be hooked she is a very special trainer :biggrin: I had the most amazing lesson with her today, Loki went so lovely even OH said wow he looks like a proper horse, not quite sure what he meant by that, but think it was a kind of complement :laugh:

Go for the Liason it would be a really good thing to do, its very laid back and especially geared for those not used to competing or just starting out, the xc course is really inviting :flowers:

Yes with Tracey, am really looking forward to it :)

I emailed Lisa about the LT today and she said it would be a good one for me to start out with :) she's doing a 'back to basics' clinic at mine in march so will try and get on that, I think after I described him as a psycopath she wants to see him in action first :laugh: now I just need to win the lottery to fund all these clinics!!! :laugh:

Woohoo!! That seems to have flown by :partytime: Rode Blue twice this week, he's been really good, but stubborn! Before I went away, we were making good ground with his left bend and leg yield on the left rein. After 3 weeks of not being ridden, it's like trying to ride an ironing board round a corner :unsure: :rolleyes: I know it will come back again, but he is suc hard work to ride on the left rein when he is nosing to the right all the time. Am also struggling a bit with my ankles and keeping my heels down. I have always had short achilles tendons, and I think that not riding for 3 weeks hasn't helped. Shortened my stirrups a hole tonight to see if that helps. It did help a bit, but then my knees were coming a bit too forward on the knee rolls. Think am going to have to start my achilles exercises again :rolleyes:

It's amazing how quickly they lose their balance and flexibility isn't it? Very frustrating!

Well canter was a bit scary!! He's just unbalanced I think, I couldn't give him any contact without him trying to piss off with me. My shoulders are going to ache tomorrow :laugh: On the plus side when he was going nicely it felt very springy and onward bound. Think I definitely have a few weeks hard work ahead of me before we start jumping again..

Am sure Milo will get his balance back soon. How long is it since you have cantered him? I remember when we had our major confidence wobble, he wasn't cantered from November till about March. When we started cantering him again, it was horrid. He'd throw his head in the air and do a horrible transition up to canter, then canter about 4 strides before falling back to trot again, as he had just lost all his balance. In time though, he has got all his balance back and his canter is lovely now (if not a bit strong sometimes :laugh: )

Am thinking about doing a Lee Pearson and Leonie Smith clinic in May. I originally booked 2 weeks off in May to go on holiday but now I am changing jobs and had a sunshine holiday, am thinking about doing a clinic instead. I think it would be amazing to be taught by Lee, as he is such an inspiration! Just need to check with mum and dad that they would be ok to take us there, as it's mid week, so they will be working during the day.

The last time we cantered properly without being broken was in September so nearly 6 months ago.

We went for a hack today and he had me crying with laughter. We went out with one of milos field buddies who's a 16.3hh warmblood with enormous paces and poor milo with his pony-like-legs struggles to keep up especially in trot and he HATES getting left behind. So today, to conquer this problem, Milo decides to pop himself up into a gorgeous collected canter and stayed at exactly the same speed as his buddy in trot :laugh: So he CAN do it, I just think the school is way too exciting at the moment...

Yay great news Milo is cantering again, even if some of its his own idea :laugh:

Gooster have heard really really good things about Lee Pearson as a trainer, as well as being a lovely person, hope you manage to go to the clinic :biggrin:

I went to a xc clinic today, wow Loki was rather enthusiastic he had the trainer and the rest of the group in fits at his happy skips after (and sometimes before :rolleyes: ) the fences. If you told me last year we would have jumped some of the fences we did today I would told you you're mad :laugh:

We jumped drainage ditches, big box ditches, sunken road, jumped into water, ironically the only issue we had was over the smallest fence on top of a sharp incline, but chuffed to bits with him :wub:

P1020170.jpg

P1020170.jpg

P1020157.jpg

Snapshot226-02-201219-44.png

P1020184.jpg

Yay great news Milo is cantering again, even if some of its his own idea :laugh:

Gooster have heard really really good things about Lee Pearson as a trainer, as well as being a lovely person, hope you manage to go to the clinic :biggrin:

I went to a xc clinic today, wow Loki was rather enthusiastic he had the trainer and the rest of the group in fits at his happy skips after (and sometimes before :rolleyes: ) the fences. If you told me last year we would have jumped some of the fences we did today I would told you you're mad :laugh:

We jumped drainage ditches, big box ditches, sunken road, jumped into water, ironically the only issue we had was over the smallest fence on top of a sharp incline, but chuffed to bits with him :wub:

P1020170.jpg

P1020170.jpg

P1020157.jpg

Snapshot226-02-201219-44.png

P1020184.jpg

Wow! you look like real Pros now....:).....competitions next!!

Wow! you look like real Pros now....:)

Not quite but thanks :laugh: Off to do some combined training on Sunday, showjumping is 95cms which will be a real test for us as our showjumping is pants but thought if im going to get a cricket score might as well do it over bigger fences :cool:

Keeping everything crossed you get on the clinic Gooster :flowers:

Just checked the entries for Munstead Horse Trials and so far they've had 214 entries for the class I want to do :rolleyes: I did use my super ballot sticker but Im guessing so did a lot of others, really hope I get in as nothing else within hour travelling until April.

Well we've come crashing back down to earth with a bang.

Went out for a hack this afternoon then popped him in the school to give him a few laps of canter. Asked for left canter, it was disunited, just like it was before :'( right canter fine. Got off, trotted him up, bit short on left hind but nothing major.

My thoughts are-

1) the injection has worn off now

2) he's been an idiot in the field as we had a new horse in the field yesterday afternoon so has made himself sore

Waiting for vet to phone me back but might not be til the morning. Will trot him up first thing and see how he looks.

Absolutely gutted :'(