UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

Fab! Am sure you will both have a great time at the trials and the challenge :biggrin:

Have just been scaring myself on google :rolleyes: For a couple of weeks, I have noticed that Blue has slightly dragged his hind toes when walking down a very steep hill. So this morning as I am at a bit of a loose end, I decided to google it. Google seems to think that dragging hind toes on a slope is related to stifle problems :unsure: He only does it a tiny amount and doesn't drag his feet when ridden. Only thing I can think that may explain it, is that we usually walk down this hill on the way to his stable after a lesson, when he has worked hard. So maybe it is something to do with tiredness/fitness.

I wasn't brave enough to watch it in company, as I knew I'd be a sobbing mess! Might watch in on 4od though on my iPad...

Just ordered some Heather Moffett stirrups in the hope they help my ankle and foot stability in trot and canter. They get good reviews, so hopefully I won't need to buy new boots if these work :biggrin:

Glad he was a good boy :flowers: Fingers crossed he behaves himself whilst he is on box rest.

Have been out on a short hack on Blue today, he was quite a good boy, had a couple of spooks, but nothing I couldn't ride him through. I asked Tamara who was riding with us if he looked lame at all, and she said he looked fine. We did only stay in walk though, which he has been ok in.

Gooster, trot blue up on a hard surface and get an experienced eye to watch him. I'm crap at seeing lameness and in walk its so difficult! Id give him.a few easy days and see if he improves.

Milo mortified that he's in - he screams at me until I fetch him more hay :laugh: I don't know what the Tildren did to him but he's now peeing like a trooper, I've gone through a weeks worth of bedding in 2 days...

Well done for.surviving Clare, bet you're excited now :)

How did you get on at the eventer's challenge Clare?

How is a milo getting on? Hope he is peeing a bit less now :flowers:

Have asked Blue's McTimmoney lady to come and see him, as he was slightly better in our lesson on Friday, but still not wanting to bend to the left. I rode him again last night, and he was so stiff to the left again. I worked on lots of circles, and at some points of the circle he was fine, but then we'd get to one point on the circle and he'd throw his head in the air and start to rush and was just horrid. I ended up getting off him as he just kept anticipating an argument, and walking him in a circle on the ground. I then got back on him again to walk him off, but left my schooling whip by the gate. He actually seemed to go nicer when I didn't have the whip, so whether I ride differently when I am not carrying my whip, am not sure. Will try him again tonight without the whip and with my new stirrups, to see if he's any better. If he's no better, will just resort to in hand walking until Zoe can come up and see him.

The McTimmoney lady is coming next Tuesday afternoon, hopefully she will be able to mend him (if he is broken and not just being a git!). Got someone to hack out with this afternoon, whose pony is just coming back into work after an episode of lami, so it will just be a gentle plod around the block :)

Fingers crossed the McT lady can sort him out :flowers: How were the new stirrups?

Eventers challenge went well thanks, minor miracle occured and we went clear showjumping, hope I haven't used all my luck up for the season :laugh: Then a nice clear xc to finish 6th :biggrin:

I'm having a slight wibble over his breathing again, but just waiting to speak to my vet who will hopefully tell me I am being over sensitive and to get on with it :laugh:

New stirrups were different, felt like my stirrups were a bit too short. However I was wearing my clumpy ariat boots, so that may be why. Will see how he goes tomorrow in our lesson. Am just on way up to farm, am going to lunge tonight and see how he is on the lunge. Not lunged for a couple of months though so this could be interesting :unsure:

Hope the vet managed to reassure you Clare :flowers:

Well I'm very pleased I had the forethought to put milo in a pen before turning him out with the others after a weeks box rest - he did his best impression of a circus horse on the way to the field :laugh:

He was marginally better behaved this morning but think I will keep him in there at least one more day until he calms down....

Aww, Milo :laugh: :wub:

Lunged Blue tonight, he seemed ok but not really happy to canter on the right rein :unsure: Got one of the liveries to watch and she said he didn't look lame. I then got on him to walk him off and his walk was beautiful, really forward going and tracking up. Will see how he goes in our lesson tomorrow, but will probably avoid any canter until Zoe has been to see him.

Once I had done, I tied him up whilst I went to fill his haynets. He spent the time I was gone untying himself (as he had seen me make his tea in his stable), but once he had succeeded with untying the knot, he then got scared of the leadrope and then just stood still and refused to move! :wub: He's such a wally :laugh:

He was much better this morning, think I will be brave and let him out for an hour whilst I muck out this afternoon then I will let him out progressively longer each day over the weekend then he can go out all day Monday.

Have got my chiro coming to see him Monday, that should loosen him up after a week in and his acrobatic display...