UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

I did do some of the DS clinics and really enjoyed them, they seem to clash with Tracey's clinics recently but it I had the time and cash would definately like to do some more, another bonus is that they are normally in the indoor school :laugh:

Sooo fed up with this weather, haven't been able to ride since last Saturday as school frozen and roads too icy, so would it please clear off now as its putting our preparation for Munstead behind :mad:

I'm eyeing up the one on the 7th of April but realistically think that might be too soon...I know its 2 months away but if the school doesn't defrost soon it may take me that long to get jumping! I need to do another 2 weeks trotting and would then like to do a few weeks in canter before adding in the dreaded jumpies! Would ideally like a few lessons with nicola too on the jumping before we venture out :laugh:

We can hack but that means only walking...better than nothing I suppose! All the horses still in but don't think milo minds too much, he's been very well behaved on the last 2 hacks :)

Following on from my success at securing an ad hoc job, and my son's experiences 'poo picking' we have started offering our services to poo pick either on a regular basis (£3 per head per acre per week - so 3 ponies on an acre weekly would be £9 (minimum charge of £5) One offs and initial visit would be charged at a hourly rate of £10 regardless of number of horses grazing the area.

Does this seem reasonable?

I won't see my ponies for a week or so after having a metal plate in my foot, had it done Tuesday and I'm bored already! I do include Wanda as a rather big pony. :biggrin:

Apparently special Lilli is showing some delightful traits at the moment, she thinks she's a springbok and spends ages just jumping up and down on the spot with a few bucks thrown in, she sort of gets stuck in a behaviour and then will suddenly break out of it and fly round the field like crazy. I must try to video it when my silly foot will let me.

Anyone remember my friend, a nervous novice, buying a 17hh Shire x TB gelding? Needless to say it did not work out big style but what did work out is he is now a police horse! She got the news last Tuesday that he had passed all his exams and was accepted, what a fantastic home for him to go to! Now she needs a dope on a rope but with basic schooling in place, they are hard to find.

Hope everyone's horses are doing ok and the weather is not causing too many problems, YO Sam kept all on the yard in the day we had frozen rain, every surface was lethal!

K9 Fran... i think thats a fair price, hope you get a good business going soon :flowers:

PW ouch :ohmy: hope your foot heals quickly :GroupHug:

Annie has calmed down a fair bit still a bit grumpy but better, will still get her teeth checked. My potenially worse nightmare is coming true :ohmy: The woman with the fields next to mine has just got her youngster [hes approx 11mths old] that shes keeping entire which will be wonderful with my two mares :ohmy: She only uses plastic posts and ordinary tape wire whereas mine have wooden posts and rope wire but how long till he gets through or tarty Annie goes after him :unsure: Hes at her stables atm but will be living out next door with her two geldings from march/april time till late autumn. If someone wants an entire horse i've no problem with it but turning out next to 2 mares is unfair i feel, once he knows what he wants or Annie wishes to educate him :rolleyes: life will be hard and poor Fern who was a feral broodmare is only about 11.2hh and this lad will make 16.3/17hh.Worrying times ahead i think :(

K9 Fran... i think thats a fair price, hope you get a good business going soon :flowers:

PW ouch :ohmy: hope your foot heals quickly :GroupHug:

Annie has calmed down a fair bit still a bit grumpy but better, will still get her teeth checked. My potenially worse nightmare is coming true :ohmy: The woman with the fields next to mine has just got her youngster [hes approx 11mths old] that shes keeping entire which will be wonderful with my two mares :ohmy: She only uses plastic posts and ordinary tape wire whereas mine have wooden posts and rope wire but how long till he gets through or tarty Annie goes after him :unsure: Hes at her stables atm but will be living out next door with her two geldings from march/april time till late autumn. If someone wants an entire horse i've no problem with it but turning out next to 2 mares is unfair i feel, once he knows what he wants or Annie wishes to educate him :rolleyes: life will be hard and poor Fern who was a feral broodmare is only about 11.2hh and this lad will make 16.3/17hh.Worrying times ahead i think :(

Id speak to my vet if it was me.. there are things they can give to stop your mares coming into season...though that wont stop him chancing his arm if he is that sort of pony....if you have insurance now might be the time to check the small print...

:biggrin: phew panic over :biggrin: she decided to get him gelded just before he came over but didnt bother telling me. It was only because i tackled her about it and said i was really concerned about my girls that she told me. I have been so worried about it and she knew :angry: At least the girls will be safe though not sure Annie will thank me :laugh: However i know vets are going down to see him soon so i'll doublecheck with them that he is a gelding.

Oh phew what a relief :flowers: That would have been a nightmare situation CrB so pleased you don't have that to worry about :ohmy:

K9Fan, I think thats very reasonable, I find people are willing to pay good money as they hate doing it so much :laugh:

Aww Lilli, hope we get some footage ( :D ) of her prancing and dancing :wub: Hope your foot is on the mend quickly :flowers: Great news about the shire x, I remember him. Hope the lady finds something suitable this time.

Hope all the horses settle with their new friend CP :flowers:

We are fully defrosted and operational again, I just need to kick this cold and get running again otherwise I am so unfit I won't make it past the second fence xc without oxygen from paramedics :laugh:

That's good news CrB, mst be such a weight off your mind :flowers:

Hope Milo gets on with his new field buddy :wub: One of Blue's best mates is the YO's huge youngster (who ironically is called Titch :laugh: ). They are so funny together, 14.1 mini warmblood and huge great big horse (not sure exactly how big he is).

Hope your foot is feeling better now PW :GroupHug:

Hope your cold has gone soon Clare :GroupHug:

We have finally had a thaw here :biggrin: Am mad at myself though, as I had taken my saddle out of my car whilst I was away, and I forgot to put it back in today before going to the farm :angry: :rolleyes:

Had an exciting find yesterday..well to me its exciting anyway :unsure: :laugh: My sister went to a place advertising free wood to take away for firewood. This place is an old barn thats basically been filled with stuff and locked up for approx 40 odd years :ohmy: She spotted an old bridle in a pile of things and told me. I went down and spoke to workmen who thought i was batty :laugh: but i'm now the proud owner of a filthy dirty ancient workhorse bridle complete with blinkers and a very rusty bit :happy: One leather strap is missing and no reins but it has a browband with metal pleats and metal rosette [one is missing]. I shall enjoy trying to clean it up then hang it in my lounge. I've told guys i'll be back to see what else they unearth!!

Ooh nice find :biggrin: I wonder what else might be lurking there!

Hope you've remembered your saddle Gooster, otherwise its bareback as payback :laugh:

I was mucked out and hacking by 6.45am this morning, well worth it - deserted forest meant lots of hooning around and a cheeky Loki taking the hooning a bit further than required :laugh:

Wow Clare that's dedication!

Milo goes in with his new rather large friend tomorrow, he's 17.3 :O ex hunt masters horse. Fortunately so far he seems very chilled so fingers crossed all will be ok!

We were due to be cantering tomorrow before the snow set us back a week...still, nearly there!!

Bad news is I got a text last night from my old YO to say they'd had their pony Hobo put to sleep, he colic'd overnight and they made the decision to let him go. He was Carl's best friend and was an absolute star so will be greatly missed :(

Blimey Clare, that's organised :biggrin:

Sorry to hear about Hobo :(

Remembered my saddle today for my lesson :biggrin: I think someone has missed being ridden, I always worry that he doesn't enjoy schooling, but he was really up for it today. His ears pricked up when he saw his saddle, and he worked really well. When I asked him to canter, he decided that he wanted to gallop :laugh: :rolleyes:

A new instructor has started training on the yard, there is quite a novice rider with a very green 4 year old. My instructor was teaching her originally, but tbh the rider likes to be seen to be 'fashionable' and because this instructor has a laminated poster on the wall, she has ditched my instructor to go with this other one. This other instructor has told her that her horse will never go in an outline unless it is ridden in draw reins :( Draw reins are controversial at the best of times, but I can see them being even more of a disaster in this case. The horse in question will go in an outline, as my instructor has ridden him, and when he understands what you want, he goes nicely, but he is just too green for his owner.