UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

No phonecall from Leahurst yet :unsure: However I did tell the vet I was working until 7, so he may phone me in a bit. My friend is going to call in and see him tonight (she is a final year vet student there), she'll also see what she can find out for me.

Blue update... Apparently they only blocked his fetlock today. Made no difference to his lameness, so tomorrow's plan is to block the digital flexor tendon sheath. Not spoken to vet, this is just info that my friend got from the computer. She said he was quite happily stuffing his face when she went to see him and sent a picture of him :wub:

temporary-7-1.jpg

Hopefully the vet will phone tomorrow with what they have found, and where we are going from there.

Well, the head vet said they'd probably be sending him home tomorrow when we spoke yesterday. However the fact they didn't get around to blocking his tendon makes me think he'll be coming home on Friday at the earliest. As I imagine once they have identified the source of lameness, they'll then need to do x rays or scans...

Only contact from Leahurst today was a message from Simon (resident vet), telling me what Nichol had found out for me last night. Only extra thing he mentioned as that his lameness is becoming more obvious with the increased workload he is getting. He hasn't really done much serious schooling since the middle of January, as he hasn't felt right since I got home from Egypt at the beginning of February, so am not surprised he's getting a bit stiff with the amount of lunge work he's done :unsure: Vet said this morning that he's not sure when Blue will be able to come home, as there's no point sending him home until we have an answer :( I imagine they won't be doing anything with him at the weekend, so have tomorrow to come to a conclusion (which I doubt somehow). Nichol is going to see him again tonight and check his records and update me again.

Hmm, he's proving to be a mystery... He's had a few nerve blocks today, including tendon sheath and plantar nerve, none of which have shed any light on the situation. He's having the fetlock redone tomorrow, but Nichol is unsure why. Simon, the vet who we have been dealing with is with an emergency at the moment, which is possibly why he hasn't phoned me :unsure:

Simon has just phoned me. Blue is really confusing them. They have done various nerve blocks, scans and x rays today, all to no avail :unsure: They are reblocking his fetlock tomorrow, as that been the only block that has given some improvement. Vet is kinda baffled as to why they haven't found something yet :unsure: :rolleyes: :mecry:

• Like 1

How infuriating!! Big hugs gooster.

How bizarre. If he's lame on both hinds it may well be something higher up. I know when milo was first lame I googled loads of stuff about hind end lameness and they said if its not hock or stifle it can sometimes be coming from the lower back, hips, sacroiliac area. But I think hind end lameness is really difficult to diagnose!!

Good luck, keep us posted :flowers:

Going to ride Vinnie tomorrow, really nervous. Hope he behaves, will be a bit of a culture shock hopping onto a 16.2 TB...

Any news gooster? I keep checking back like an obsessive compulsive :laugh:

Went to see Vinnie today. He's so big he makes milo look like a shetland pony :laugh: very handsome liver chestnut boy. The owner was a bit concerned as he's not been ridden for a month and apparently another girl rode him last week and he was a bit wild. So I took my very experienced dressage friend with me just in case! We lunged him and he was forward but very responsive, came back to walk when asked. Got on, huge culture shock from milo. He's got enormous paces, I think he'd do lovely dressage eventually. On the right rein he's very giraffe headed and rushy but on the left not too back, when he softened into the contact he was lovely. Definitely loads of potential there. Canter was rather exciting and we went into orbit on a few occasions but again once he sat on his bum and took the weight behind it was stunning. Overall I thought he was very good for not being ridden in such a long time, and we were riding in the field!! So definitely loads to play with there and he seems like a very genuine boy, not strong at all, just a tad fresh as you would expect from not being ridden for such a long time :)

Aww, glad he was a good boy :wub:

Well, spoken to Simon again. They have had no joy with any more nerve blocks. They tried blocking his left fore foot today, and that made him worse. Simon doesn't think there is any point throwing more money at nerve blocks. So he thinks we should do a gamma scintigraphy. However as he has had so many nerve blocks, we need to wait 3 weeks before doing them. So, he is coming home on Sunday (could pick him up tomorrow, but am working all day :rolleyes: ), then I need to phone Leahurst on Monday to book him in for 3 weeks time. This means that dressage camp is out as payment for that is due in 10 days :( :mecry: Am gutted they can't find out what is wrong with him. My worry then is if they find he has something like kissing spines, and we have already spent £2500 just getting to the diagnosis, how can i then afford the treatment :mecry: