UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

Hmmmm, well he's still not liking to bend when on the left rein. We also had head shaking tonight too. Am just thinking I should get the vet to check him over and give me peace of mind, then if it is him being a git, I can deal on training issues. Today was the first lesson we had in the light, so instead of him spooking at stuff he couldn't see, he was spooking at stuff he could see. Claire didn't notice any lameness, and thinks he was just being rude and ignoring my leg. However I can't help worrying about him. We deal with slight head shaking every year as the weather gets warmer, but it soon settles down, which it did tonight once I kept him busy with lots of transitions and changes of rein.

I would be the same Gooster, for peace of mind sometimes it worth getting the vet out :flowers:

Know people who swear by Rigcalm so def worth a go if his behaviour continues, as long as he is not a fussy eater as Global Herbs normally involves lots of smelly powder!

I couldn't resist in the end and bought a web image, that way OH never needs know :laugh:

Mun24312794.jpg

Weeehee Loki :wub:

I went with my friend as 'groom' to a SJ competition today. Really enjoyed it and so nice to be back at a show and enjoyed watching all the horses.

Milo been in a pen since last Monday and im still not convinced he's right. The vet will be out Wednesday afternoon so I will have to wait patiently until then. Getting SO bored of this now, want to do some riding :mecry:

Lovely photo of you both Clare :)

:GroupHug: to Milo, hope the vet can reassure you.

Going to ring the vet tomorrow and see if they can come out tomorrow or Tuesday. I wouldn't be as time conscious if I wasn't booked onto the dressage camp, but if he's not right, will want to cancel in good time. Damn horses, we have had had no lameness pretty much in the 4 and a half years I have had Blue, but as soon as we book to do something exciting, he breaks :rolleyes:

Not amazing news. Vet gave him a full work up, watched us ride and lunge. She said he is 2/10ths lame in walk on the right hind. 2/10 lame in trot on the left hind, lame on his left fore, and possibly lame on the right fore. So overall a bit broken :mecry: She thinks he needs a more detailed work up than she can provide, so is referring us to leahurst. Am relieved in a way as it means I wasn't imagining things, but gutted as well. She said he is such a genuine boy who must really trust me, as most horses would not still walk, trot and canter without throwing major hissy fits :(

Thanks, the vet said she would write the referral and Leahurst will contact me directly. Have just phoned nfu to advise them of the situation and the girl was really nice. Not sure how I'm going to work it with work though, as am working 6 days next week, so that will take us to the week after, unless we take him on an evening and leave him there overnight :unsure: Will wait and see what they have to say anyway. My friend is in her final year of vet school there, so am sure she'll make sure he's looked after properly!

Oh dear, poor Blue :GroupHug: At least you know he will be in safe hands and that you will get to the bottom of it quickly :flowers: Can you not throw a sicky from work? :laugh:

Im being so impatient, I know Wednesday is only a day and a bit away but euuuurrrgh.

Im absoloutely sure he's still lame. He's been turned out in a pen since last Monday and when hes been out with the others ive been in the field with him either poo picking or just watching so I know he hasnt been over doing it. Its been 6 months now. Grumble grumble. Ive been trying to get him moving each day to try and make sure hes not so stiff, i.e letting him graze for a short time with the others or walking him around the field/yard in hand etc but im starting to think hes getting stiffer and stiffer because he needs to be in work. I can see the medication has helped him because he's now over-tracking a whole hoofs width wheras before he would only just track up so thats an enormous imporvement but im sure he's still lame in his movement. Sigh. Will try to shut up and stop moaning until I can report more news Wednesday afternoon :Lurking: :Lurking:

Gooster, I did that with Loki as OH couldn't get the day off work to tow him, so we took him Sunday afternoon and they worked on him the next day. Just to warn you in case Leahurst work the same as Liphook, I had to pay the bill in full when I collected they wouldn't deal direct with NFU, I applied for a credit card with 0% especially for the purpose, which was lucky as it took a good few months to get the money back from NFU :rolleyes:

CP I know exactly how you feel its so frustrating waiting epsecially when you don't feel things are progressing, fingers crossed everything goes well tomorrow :flowers:

I am hoping that after the osteopath visit tomorrow (which I am impatiently waiting for too :laugh: ) Loki isn't added to the Fugee broken list, he really didn't feel good last night :unsure: