UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

Steve clipped Welina yesterday and Pablo this morning. They were angels :biggrin: He did a great job considering it was the first time he had ever clipped.

We are taking Lauren off to her first "real" show tomorrow. It is "only" clear round jumping at a local riding centre, but it is a start. She is taking Welina.

Glad I only have the one to clip! How did Lauren and Welina get on today?

I had a lovely day, got to the yard at 8 and left at 4.30, haven't done that since I was a kid and my parents used to drop me off for the day :biggrin:

I was so pleased with Loki at the dressage clinic, he felt great and instructor said his trot work is stunning, not bad considering he hasn't been schooled since August :laugh: She said he is moving beautifully and no sign of shortness or lameness at all, and we worked in a 20 x 40 dressage arena so it was tight and would have hopefully shown anything up, in fact she tried to persuade me to a take him stressage next weekend, but I said I thought that may be a bit soon :wacko:

Feel very contented tonight (which as we know with horses is probably asking for trouble :laugh: )

Feel very contented tonight (which as we know with horses is probably asking for trouble :laugh: )

Yep! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

What's stressage? So pleased Loki's back to strength, good luck for the comp. next weekend (that was an attempt at mind control :wink: )

Hope you had a fun day Angel and family. Was the course nice?

Missed the opportunity to ride today as it was a rare human day of haircut appointment! Cornish's back shoes are a bit loose so hoping they stay in place until farrier next Saturday. Plan is to get up and ride early tomorrow all being well. No return of smelly breath as of yet!

I figured out the stressage (always been a bit slow :rolleyes: ) :laugh:

Glad Loki is working well again and Cornish has non smelly breathbiggrin.gif

I hacked Blue out on Thursday with one of the girls from our barn. Her horse is just being brought back into work after an injury to her hind leg, so we went for a short walk out. He was really good with the traffic and the only issue we had was when we got to a bridle path and there was a puddle on the other side of the stile thingy, so we decided not to push the issue and come home. On another day I would have argued with him to get him across the puddle, but as he hasn't been hacked out for ages, and he walked past sheep and cows etc with no bother, so I decided to just come home as he had been so good!

We've got another lesson tomorrow, so hopefully he will be as good as he was last week, but without the spook!!!!!

Could I also ask for healing thoughts for Blue's next door neighbour and girlfriend? She had lami back in October, and has really been getting so much better. However she has been eating her straw bed, as she also has suspected cushings (although getting a needle near her is nigh impossible, so we can't test for it!!) and is always hungry and as she is on limited hay, she has been guzzling her straw! Last week she had a recurrance of the lami, much worse than last time, so they have changed her onto shavings but she is still feeling sorry for herself.

Well done Lauren and Welina!!!! (and parents in support team)

Jayne loads of good wishes for Blue's girlfriend, it's an awful worry and horses very rarely appreciate what we do to in the name of helping them :GroupHug: :GroupHug: :GroupHug:

Hope the shavings work ok. Dengie's Alfa-A Lite is a great feed as it takes them a long time to chew:

http://www.dengie.com/pages/products/alfa-a-and-hi-fi-ranges/alfa-a-lite.php

Keep us posted on how she's doing.

Will pass on the info about the Alfa A lite, thank youflowers.gif

Had another lesson on Blue today and.....................................................

we cantered!!!!!!

He was working really nicely for me, and then my instructor mentioned that the next step was to have a go at canter. When I first asked him, he chucked his head in the air and did his usual rushing trot then 2 strides of canter then back to trot again. So we brought him back to trot again, and worked on getting him really balanced in the trot, and then asking him to canter again, then he improved a bit, so we changed the rein, and did the same on the other rein, he really clicked on the other rein and we managed a whole lap round the school!!!! So we went back onto the other rein again, and then he was so much better! Am really pleased with how we are progressing, as a few lessons ago there is no way I would have even thought about cantering him at all!!!

gooster, dont know if this is much use but on one of the animal cops programes on sky they had a pony with severe lammi in all four feet. Their farrier got these polystrene blocks about 3 inches thick, drew around the hoof then cut out the shapes. Next they put tape on the underside of the blocks sticky side up then stuck them unto the hooves wrapping the tape around hoof wall. This put the pony on temporary heels but it soon packed down and gave marvellous support to the hooves. They get left on until they are sure the lammi is cleared. This pony went from literally not being able to move to walking back to her stable fairly well on her pads.I've said if Bumble gets lammi again i'll try it out on him :flowers:

Well done Gooster, hope you and Blue have been getting on well since your canter :flowers:

Loki is broken again :mecry: he went really well at the clinic and was fine when F rode him Sunday, he came in with another kick on his hind leg Monday but it didn't seem too bad and I rode him out on Tues morning and he seemed okay, F said he was fine on Wed, when I saw him Thursday he seemed a bit quiet and I noticed he was standing oddly, as if he was pushing his back legs out backwards and one leg was twisted out :wacko:

He came out of his stable a bit stiff but walked it off to the field, and I decided to brave the school in the evening just in walk, he felt terribly stiff and resistant but not footy, so decided to give him a few days off. Yesterday afternoon was again standing oddly in his stable and when I put the tack on the door he walked to the back of his stable, so put it away and asked a McTimmoney lady at the yard if she would look at him.

I wasn't there when she looked at him today but she found him very sore in his poll, neck, shoulder, ribs and very stuck in his pelvis, and said to give him a week off.

All I can think of is that he has fallen over or something in the field, I think the poll neck and shoulder are ongoing with him but the ribs and pelvis is new.

I think I am going to have to move him :mecry: It is so hard as I am very happy there, it is 2 mins from work, he is generally settled and happy, but I feel that not having a school I can't keep him fit enough and he is a big moving but very weak horse when not in full work and at the moment not phyically strong enough to withstand his antics in the field.

Does that sound logical, I would hate to move him for the wrong reason but at the moment I feel he needs long reining / lunging / schooling to build him back up which I can't do where we are :mecry:

There are no suitable yards nearby so my only real option is to go back to where we came from, but I will lose my fantastic sharer and farrier :(

Sorry long ramble :rolleyes:

Aww, poor Loki! It does sound like a fall Clare, to do that much damage. I can see where you are coming from about moving though, to keep him fit and a bit less accident prone you really do need the school, is it way too far for your support crew to stay with you?

I could not keep Wanda safe to ride without a school, if she is under exercised she is such a moo to the other horses and manic to hack.

Loki :GroupHug:

I suppose it could just be the squirmish which resulted in the kick but I know what you mean about being without a school. It's my one big wish and would be one of the main reasons for me to ever move.

It would be a shame for you both to move though with everything else going so well, maybe give the decision a bit more time and see how the rest of the Winter goes? Very difficult decision :( :GroupHug:

If only we could all win lots of money and move to the same area and have a yard all of our own!

Bit worried about Cornish's nose as the smell seems to be gradually reappearing. Speaking to the vet tomorrow as he has a day off so I can call him in my lunch hour. It's the thought of him going through intrusive procedures :(

Oh no poor Cornish :GroupHug: Fingers crossed it can be sorted without intrusive treatment :flowers:

To sit out the rest of the winter was my original plan but to be honest the school issue isn't going to go away in the summer, it then gets very deep and is just as risky to use. I know I will be able to hack, but because of his feet I am limited what I can do, if I go up into the park to find some grass that is a two hour plus hack, and if a wet summer the grass tracks are closed, also means I won't get home until nearly 9pm so makes for very late night and poor OH and Murf don't get much attention. I know what I have to do, just don't like it :unsure:

Hmmm Euro lottery is 85m this week, I will just have to win it and get my own place, problem sorted :D

Would you mind just winning half Clare? I would like the other half :biggrin:

Hmmmm weeellll okay, I think I can just about manage on 40 odd million :happy:

I have just had a lovely email from YM at WEC where we were before, saying she has one box available and would love us to come back and she has just the right small group for Loki to go out with, and that even if I just want to come back and get him back on track that is fine, and to be positive he will come right. Actually made me a bit :mecry:

I feel quite excited at the thought of going back, perhaps that tells me its the right thing to do, then I think of the all the extra travel and £ and then wonder if I am mad :unsure: :rolleyes:

I went there the first time as we were in a pickle (nerves rather than physical issues) and we grew so much whilst there I felt the need to move away, I wonder if it may be the place to get back on track :)