UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

Yay pictures, spring must be on its way :biggrin:

Duke looks like he is either sulking at not going with you or keeping his head down in case his tack comes out :wub:

Pablo looks very content in his new home, he has such a lovely expression, and Welina is stunning :wub:

The farrier came out to assess Loki's feet and lets just say he thinks he has something to work on to bring him sound, he came back out yesterday and shod him including two bar shoes on the front and I wrote out a cheque for £170 :rolleyes: Small price to pay if it works I keep telling myself :laugh:

Oooh picciesbiggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Ouch at the farrier bill Claire, but like you say, if it helps then it's money well spent!!

Have still been having my lessons on the little monster, always try and turn him out in the morning before my lesson to take the edge off him a bit. Last Sunday I took my picnic blanket and a book and chilled in the field whilst he mooched around and ate grassbiggrin.gif We have cantered a few more times, but his issue at the moment seems to be once we are in canter, staying in canter until told to trot. Have spent some time lunging him this week to see if it is me that is causing his probs. He is fine when lunged in his headcollar (and can go round like a camel), but when you lunge him with sidereins on, so he is taking a contact, he will canter for about half a circle, and then fall back to trot. I reckon that it's because we haven't done much cantering for 6 months and he's just lost some of his balance and muscle tone. Am open to suggestions about what else we could try though! Current plan is to lunge him as much as I can with side reins or his bungee to try and rebalance him.

Blue's girlfriend's feet are better, but she seems to be going slightly worse with the cushings. She is now bedded on shavings to stop her eating her straw bed, and still on rations of hay. However the problem seems to be now that she is drinking loads. She will drink 2 big water buckets overnight, and then floods her stable. Due to the way the floor slants in the barn, all her wee ended up in Blue's bed, and I was getting through so much bedding every week. I've now bought some rubber matting, so it flows under Blue's bedding and flows out into the end of the barn. Trouble is now though that the barn is constantly flooded! They are only treating her herbally for the cushings at the moment, and if she were mine, I would put her on stuff from the vet. I can't really tell them this though, as they have been around horses for years and years and are really experienced, whereas I have only been around horses for 3 years.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

Earl's 'real mum' came to visit him today, which is the first time she's been down since he's been with me.

She was delighted to see him and said he was looking the happiest she'd seen him in a long time. When he was at his last yard he wasnt being fed or rugged properly so his coat was dull and shaggy but now its smooth and silky again. She said he was at exactly the right weight and was really impressed with his condition. She had a look at his shoes too and said she was happy with them. I told her that he comes to the gate as soon as he see's me arrive at the yard and she said at the last yard nobody could catch him because he hated being ridden so much, so the fact that he comes over to be caught must mean hes very happy here.

So a glowing report overall :rolleyes: :biggrin:

Aww you must feel very proud to get such a glowing report :flowers:

Well I have done it and handed in my notice at the stables and am on the way back to WEC at the end of March. Hope its the right thing to do :rolleyes:

How's everyone else getting on, hopefully we are nearing the beginning of spring and the good times :biggrin:

I've been catching up with all your news... well trying to :)

I spend more time lurking these days than contributing but thought I'd up date you with some pictures of Mr.Newt. Its been two years now since we bought him and hes gone from this:

DSC01908-1.jpg

A large fetlocked, unbacked, rising 4 and generally pretty green. I thought he had something but he has spent thel ast two years only one step away from the substitution bench.... However he is now really coming into his own. I've finally pulled my finger out and started schooling him, I use horsemanship methods on the ground and then build it in to ridden work. Its worked so well with Newt hes so supple and tries that extra bit when you ask.

We're hoping to get out for some show hunter classes this season. Any way less of my babbling... here he is now :

ClinicFeb2010075.jpg

ClinicFeb2010062.jpg

ClinicFeb2010080.jpg

Mr Newt is looking fab Sarah :flowers: Tell him to stop losing his dapples so quickly though :wub:

Look forward to hopefully seeing pics from this weekends clinc :biggrin:

I may start long-reining Loki this weekend, the bar shoes seem to be doing the trick and vet was very pleased with him and said he was sound in straight line and less than 1/5 lame on lunge on concrete, he wouldn't be able to nerve block him now the uneveness is so slight.

He also said he could come back into work, but I am playing it safe and waiting to get 100% sound before riding, but itching to do something with him so thought a little bit of long reining shouldn't do any harm and it starts the getting back to work process nicely :biggrin:

Newt!!! All grown up :wub: :wub: :wub: Squeaky was as dappley as Newt as a baby :wub:

No 'trying' with the photographer though Sarah - MAKE them go :laugh: :flowers:

Sounds like very good news Clare and you must be so looking forward to have an arena again.

I'm having a phase where I start to wonder if the vets think I have some kind of obsessive compulsive disorder where I am obsessed with calling the vet out!

For the last couple of months Duke has regularly had heat in his front white foot and he's bbeen lame when turning in a tight circle like when coming through the gate, but fine on the straight. I put it down to the ringbone and the white foot was always the sensitive one.

They've been in at night since December except for the very occasional night out when it's dry. I left them out last night though as C had stopped eating his hay overnight so whilst it was 'dry' (i.e. not raining!) I let them stay out. This evening Duke was obviously lame and was favouring the leg :(

He's been on one bute a day for the last few years and now he's getting, dare I say it, 'old' at 27, I dread the prognosis if it is the ringbone.

Vet came today and am none the wiser really, wish I'd been there.

Confirmed heat, increased dig. pulse and lameness, and doube bute dose: and box rest for 4 days - in the best weather of the year so far, poor boy :(

Suggested bruised sole as she said his soles are thin, or possibly a bit of the arthriticy (sp?) bone changes has broken away.

Not convinced by the sole explanation as it's been brewing for a couple of months now plus the farrier, who always spots things no-one else has, mentioned no sign of bruising and he'll always say if he sees anything.

Why would he go so much more lame after just one night out? They normally come in about 9pm so it wasn't a great deal of extra time :mellow:

His white foot has always been weak and, as yet, I'm no less worried.

Poor Duke :GroupHug: I hate to say it but from what the vet has said I would be tempted to treat it as laminitis. Would your farrier be able to come and have a look, if its in the foot he may be able to give you a more definative diagnosis :unsure:

Edited by Clare

I'd be thinking possible lami toounsure.gif Then again the vet should have picked up on that though you'd have thoughtunsure.gif

Newt is looking great - very handsomebiggrin.gif

We had an amazing lesson on Tuesday morning. I was so close to cancelling it, as really needed a lie in as opposed to an 8.30am lesson!! So glad I didn't though. He was on his toes a bit to begin with, so we worked him in, and he was being really good. After doing our favourite exercise which helps develop the half halt and he was working amazingly well, we decided to have another crack at the canter. I asked him and he went straight away, but broke after a few strides. I then decided to try giving him more rein to see if I was holding him back too much. I asked him again and he didn't break! We managed a whole lap and a half round the school, whereas before we were lucky to get half a lap in canterbiggrin.gif

Does anyone have any experiences of chipped bones in horses? One of the horses in Blue's barn has had a swollen hock since November. They had their normal vet out and they said she had strained her leg in the field and the swelling would go down. After about 4 weeks the swelling was still there so they did x rays. The vet didn't see anything so told them it was fine and to keep her moving and in work. Her owners kept her in work hacking her out and schooling her as she wasn't lame. Anyhow, this week they were still not happy that her leg was still swollen so she went to another vets on Wednesday for a second opinion. It turns out that she has a chipped bone in her hockohmy.gif The new vets they took her too asked the original vet to send the x rays to them, which it took them 2 days to dorolleyes.gif Her x rays have now been sent to Leahurst to see what they recommend, as she isn't insured, and the operation will be between £2000-£3000ohmy.gif