UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

Well conquered Jayne!! More impromptu decisions needed I think :biggrin:

Hope all is well at the yard since. Duke appreciated his carrots thank you :flowers:

I had our first canter on Cornish today, just a little one up the field on the farm track. It was only short and I thought him very long striding and ground covering. Then we had another short one later on and I realised why his stride seemed so long - he'd just gone straight into a gallop both times. Becuase he was calm and an unhurried pace I hadn't twigged :rolleyes: :laugh:

Might have to work on achieving canter!

Hope Duke has got over his dentist trauma :flowers: :laugh: at Cornish, just remember not to point him at any obstacles in an attempt to stop :biggrin:

2010 has started where 2009 left off, Loki has injured himself again :banghead: After having a brilliant two hour hack in the park where he felt 100% in all paces, I turned him out New Years Eve and he then came in with a superficial looking wound on the inside of his tigh :wacko: Over night the inside of his hock blew up and was very hot. Only saving grace is that he is sound, so lots of arnica and ice packs and fingers crossed it is just badly bruised. I have put him out as thought probably best to keep it moving, but honestly when is this run of injuries going to end! :huh:

How is everyone coping with this weather? Thankfully it was my sharers day today and she lives in walking distance of the yard.

I am resigned to having him stuck in again for the forseeable future, although this time they have been quicker to provide a padock that we can use just to give them a short turn out, until their field is safe to get to. I had a text from my sharer today to say Loki had much fun out there, oh and she is very sorry but came in minus a front shoe, his special needs foot of course :rolleyes: I think he is going to have to put up with that for a while as don't think my farrier will be doing visits this week, and when he goes foot sore he can reflect on his actions :wacko:

At his last home Earl was kept in during the day (purely for the convenience of the people coming to ride him) and then turned out at night. But because because he's moved house ive kept him in overnight since saturday to make sure he doesnt do anything stupid. However hes obviously really bored being in overnight because the last few mornings ive gone down and hes totally trashed his stable and is desperate to get out.

When I turned him out this morning the first thing he did was dig himself a little spot and roll around in the snow. His friend Pip did exactly the same and then they took off and trotted round the field in excitement! The YO said they've been huddled up today under the tree keeping each other warm, and despite us putting 2 haynets up on opposite sides of the field so they wouldnt bicker, they decided to share each others nicely together :)

So we've done well I think! I put some vaseline in his feet to hopefully protect them a bit. Ive put a stable rug on under his heavyweight turnout and have left him out for tonight with another haynet to munch through. Hopefully he'll be toasty warm and happier than being cooped up in his stable overnight again!

Edited to say my dad had to drive me down to the yard twice today in his 4x4 as

we've had over a foot of snow here!! Argh!!

Edited by cabbagepatch88

Welina came in a couple of nights ago with a missing front shoe too. Had a look in the field, think it woul have been easier looking for a needle in a haystack. Sent the lovely farrier a text this morning asking him to pop in if he was in the area......he text back to say he would be here at 1.30 :biggrin:

Sounds like Earl is settling in well and has made friends already!!!

Am hating this weather, I had 5 days between Christmas and New Year when I could actually make it to the farm in my car, but am back to having to rely on my mum to take me to the farm in her Landy! It is driving me mad, as I have had to cancel my lessons as the arena is outside, and trying to get him to concentrate and listen to me in snow would be impossible :( I honestly thought I would have my car for ages, but now it is becoming more and more likely that I am going to have to change it for a 4x4. I am going to ring Mitsubishi in a minute (I currently have a lancer estate on finance), and see if I can trade mine in and swap the finance over onto a little shogun (which I should have bought in the first place!!)

I have the same problems Gooster, the arena is solid, the yard has pathways leading all over the place created by our brilliant YO. Wanda is getting three hours a day in the arena with Obe and then back to her stable, she is not wearing any of her vast selection of rugs and is loving it. She does look more than a tad woolly though! :laugh:

What is worse is the road up to the yard, as I've been on nights I went up for the first time since Tuesday and OMG was it scary. We are fairly semi rural and although it's only 3 miles from the village it's a different world. The main road was bad enough but the lanes are shocking. I only just got back up the hill, a Berlingo is not meant for those road conditions. :wacko:

How is everyone doing? Anyone got back to normal yet? We are still very icy, am managing to get him out for a couple of hours a day but he is so fed up. Keeping everything crossed that we get heavy rain (never thought i'd say that!) tomorrow and maybe by Sunday the horrible stuff will be washed away!

I haven't ridden since 29th December :ohmy:

We have been really luckily as we have still been able to turnout most days. The paths on the farm are constatly being cleared by the tractors. I think at a guess, the 29th was the last time I rode too. We have had a bit of rain today and relatively warm (+6). Hopefully another day the same tomorrow and we can ride Sunday. Considering getting Lauren and Steve ride first :wink: Self preservation? Oh yes!!!

Lol hope the first ride went okay :flowers:

I passed a couple of people hacking out this morning, one of the horses was jumping all over the road bucking, I just stopped the car and waited for them to get past, it did come pretty close a few times, but I got away better than the car behind me I think as looking in the rear view mirror the horse came incredibly close to running into the car if it didn't actually do so :ohmy:

Loki managed to get back out in his field (or should that be lake :laugh: ) yesterday, was so nice to get them back out, wasn't able to ride as still without a shoe, but that should be sorted tomorrow and making plans to get up early and try and ride through the week, as just booked myself on dressage clinic on Saturday.

Just looked at Met Office 5-day forecast and they have issued severe weather warning for snow on Wednesday :ohmy: I really really hope they are wrong I want things to get back to normal :huh:

Lauren rode Pablo yesterday, Welina was waiting for the farrier. He was really good considering.

This morning, she rode him again and Steve rode Welina down to the big grass field where they had a bit of a blast just to blow away the cobwebs. Then Lauren got on Welina and I got on Pablo and we went for a walk around the block with one of the other liveries.

It has been a lovely day here. Heard on the radio on the way home, that the North West might get hit with more snow towards the end of the week :angry:

Thankfully the ice on the yard had cleared enough on Friday for him to have a blast in the paddock after being in for 8 days! He was a complete nutter, galloping round, bucking etc, but he certainly got it out of his system, as yesterday when we turned him out in the paddock again he was much calmer!

Finally managed to have a lesson today after ages of not being able to ride due to the snow and ice. He chucked in a 2 major spook and spins, but for some reason I had put his sheepskin numnah on today instead of his normal saddlecloth, so I managed to grab onto that and stay on! The second time I lost my stirrup, but managed to stay on. My instructor was really pleased with us, and commented at the end of the lesson how much improved we are from our first few lessons. She asked me what my goals for the year are, so I told her I want to try and do one dressage test a month in the summer, and maybe by the end of the year have a crack at a novice test. I know he can do it, as when Kath rode him for me, she came 3rd in a novice test on him! Only thing in the way of that at the moment is transport, but my instructor was saying she's going to change from showing to dressage on her horse, and she has a big lorry, so you never know, she might offer us a lift!! Failing that, it'll have to be interdressage, once the indoor school is done (as our outdoor isn't quite the right size!!).

Glad everyone's enjoyed the weekend and all surplus energy released! :biggrin:

Would you be able to tow/hire a trailer Jayne? Says me who has so far only managed to insure mine - ready for when I eventually start towing and inevitably do something really :blush02:

I've left them out tonight for the first time in about a month :thumbsup_anim: Thought I better had before the next wave of snow/rain comes in. Am mightily pleased that the field's still mucked out because I very VERY nearly gave it up as mission impossible after a week or so of it not being done.

Haven't ridden yet (since 29th too :laughingsmiley: ) as Cornish had really foul breath the other Saturday night so got vet out on Monday who mentioned various possibilities and 10 day course of antibiotics. After the first powder the smell completely disappeared - by that same night :biggrin: He's got 3 left and I'm just hoping that it doesn't return after the course has finished. Am planning to ride next weekend so the weather had just better behave itself!!!

How is Cornish now Reds, hope you manage a ride this weekend :)

I am planning a whole day at the yard tomorrow, which is a bit on an indulgance but as I am doing a dressage clinic and have to leave at 12.30, its not worth coming and going, so am thinking I might clip him before we go, not sure its a great idea as never clipped to time restrictions and my clips are normally function rather than fashion, but he needs doing and I will have a few hours to kill, hope the clippers don't give out half way or anything :laugh:

Did I mention I was trying herbs to help with his long standing problem of scouring, well I won't comment too much as its only been a few weeks but so far its amazing :ph34r_anim:

Just checked the 5 day forecast and that pesky white stuff seems to be reappearing next week :mad: