UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

Lovely picswub.gif wub.gif

Had a great lesson today - was unsure whether or not to cancel as it was really windy this morning, but decided to give it a whirl and see how he went. He worked really well despite the wind, we didn't do any canter work, but concentrated on getting him to bend and stretch. We did an exercise where we did a 20m circle in trot, then came onto a 10m circle and then had to leg yield out to the 20m circle. He wasn't at all cooperative on the left rein, but he was really good on the right rein. I think that Claire is planning on videoing us in the next lesson, so will try and get it uploaded to internet once she has videoed him so you can see how he's getting on!!

So who has been brave enough to turn their horses out naked yet? :O

Yes today for the first time, I am sure he has done his worst :laugh:

Sounds like Blue is going well Gooster, fingers crossed you have some video to show us :biggrin:

With Earl being big...and grey...plus the fact he loves to roll....I just can't face letting him go naked yet.

Ive been looking today at getting a lightweight turnout with no filling so he can wear it through the summer to keep him clean. The lightweight he has at the moment has a 40g fill so its too warm on really hot days. I think a no-fill turnout would save me many many hours of grooming..

Earl :bigheart3: You and he are very lucky and I was thinking his weight looked good before I saw your comment!!

Glad everyone is doing well and being brave! C and D have been rugless this last week or two on and off and last night Duke even went without a stable rug :). Agree to the flyrug suggestion but make it a very fine mesh as even with that on they can sweat when it's hot. Grit your teeth (literally I know) and enjoy the rug free months whilst they last :laughingsmiley: Once the moult is over and with dry ground, the grooming's not bad.

Duke went out after two weeks box rest for the first time last week and loved it and was fine on his plastic shoes, I was worried he'd slip but all ok (touch wood). Need to get some weight on both of them but at least the grass is back now, thank goodness!

I mucked the field out in a T-shirt today :))

Yay glad to hear D & C are back together and now they can get on with the serious business of grass eating together :wub: We must be due some pics you know :D

I went to watch a friend at dressage yesterday and feeling very enthused to get back into it. As it seems is Loki as we have now done two weeks walking, out of the three I had planned, but the last three hacks he has taken to scooting off with me and introducing his own trot work :rolleyes: Which is very norty but after the year we have had I am really pleased (but won't tell him that!). So I am starting to do little trots on the soft ground to keep him listening, which I think must be better than legging it down the road which he did yesterday :rolleyes:

Earl looks lovely. :wub:

Mine are rugless, Easta has been for about 2 months now.

Newt and Blondie for two weeks. Newt is big grey beast and looks like a bog monster but hes really pleased to be without a rug on.

And to be honest hes not as bad as I thought he would be.

Sounds good Clare!!!

Spot on about them being back out together, it's a sight for sore eyes and especially to see them eating all that lovely grass again. Duke still comes in overnight and I linger till the last minute so they can carry on stuffing before C takes up position at the gate for the night :wub:

They were looking very belly satisfied tonight. I do have a pic from Duke's first day out, but it shows how skinny they are :((. C's history was dropping weight in winter but with so many weeks of not grazing properly or eating hay, we've got some building up to do. Both need muscling up so a good excuse to get Duke out once he's shod. I daren't feed him conditioning feed though now we have grass back but I might be being a little bit paranoid :wacko:

candd.jpg

:laugh: do your worst Earl :D

I wouldn't worry too much about their weight Reds, with this weather the grass will do the job in no time. I think they both look great, very shinny and happy, they really are good mates aren't they :wub:

I too think they look very well, the grass is coming fast and it won't be long before we are thinking we all have porkers! :laugh:

I hacked Wanda out today, first time since her steroid injection in her hock, she has been on in hand at the walk exercise for a week. Thought there may be fireworks and oh boy, there were fireworks. She took exception to a man mending a wall, now how very dare he! We had leapy bucky sideways bouncy piaffe and I just might bugger off big style! I have to be so soft on her mouth or she will stand up so loads of 'goooood girl, now walking' and flexing the rein did start to bring her out of the clouds but the advent of a tractor caused more ructions and airs above ground! She's a very silly mare and her bucky leaps are huge but I always feel quite safe on her for some reason. Could have something to do with the fact that I can't actually get off unless she is standing still so no option but to ride it out. :biggrin:

Wanda :laugh: - but she always looks so mature and sensible in her photos - I sense a con :laugh:

Thank you for the reassurance :flowers: They are certainly making the most of the fresh good stuff!

The last few days of rugless activity and evidential remains leads me to conclude that C and D have been engaging in mutual grooming :thumbsup_anim: Am so pleased about that because Duke and Squeak used to groom every day and I felt sad for Duke to lose that bond. I think we do indeed have friends :)

So Cabbagepatch - what was the damage? ;)

I wimped out in the end...I suddenly remembered it was tuesday, which is when the YO's daughter uses Earl for a lesson in the afternoon, and I thought it would be pretty cruel of me to leave him to get absoloutely caked in mud only for them to have to spend hours cleaning him!

Its been FREEZING here today, went out for a long hack this morning and by the time I got home I was absoloutely frozen. Where's the sun?!