UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

That's quite a list of Pendlewitch! Horses - so powerful yet so fragile! Great news about Super (calma) Wanda :biggrin:

At least it's not worse news Clare but I know that doesn't help you at all and that you just want to know what to do for the best for Loki, and to get your beautiful boy back in his stride. Will be reading with lots of interest about the next physio visit and the results which I am quietly confident will be positive results :GroupHug:

I am very pleased :pinkie: Vet called tonight and Duke's arthritis is no worse :elefant: :elefant: His pedal bone is fine too. The change that was obvious is that his soles are a lot thinner than in his last xray, so confirms what she suspected. That the lameness is due to an original twist type of injury but because of his wonky pastern axis, the structural pressure has caused the laminae to tear away. So plastic shoes to support and re-balance as much as possible and to try to get some sole re-growth. She's going to call tomorrow with the plan after speaking to the farrier. Long-term she suggests keeping him shod to avoid wear of the sole, but at the moment there isn't enough sole available to put nails into without causing nail bind. I'm happy for him to be shod but the reason they were left off was because his feet kept cracking and everytime he lost a shoe/ripped one off, he lost great big chunks of his hoof wall with it. Plus when he had the lami another vet said it was better that he didn't have shoes because of the sensitivity of his foot so we're in the catch 22 club too :rolleyes: Am very happy though :)

Mares can be a pain in the butt, :ohmy: Wanda is having her first season of the year and is being a total slapper/tart, she is madly in love with Harry Cob and can't pass him without rude stuff happening.

She won't work in the arena as she is too busy sidling off to one side so she can see him and drooling at his handsomeness. She's starry eyed, seriously soppy and just so in love! Whatever I say to her I just get 'mmmm, what, where's Harry'

Harry Cob is quite impressed by all this attenion as Wanda usually hates him and generally threatens to kill him if he as much as looks at her. Fickle female will be back to normal soon and will be in let's kill Harry mode again.

Blimey you lot have been busy!!! Take a Group_Hug_Emoticon.gif flowers.gif laugh.gif mecry.gif ohmy.gif as appropriate!!

It's not just mares who are tarts, Blue is in love with his next door neighbour (the girly with lami). Whenever she is taken out of her stable for a walk or a roll in the menage, he goes mental, bucks in his stable, shouts for her and just generally stressesohmy.gif Whenever Blue is taken out of his stable, she calls for him too! Usually Blue tries to bite anyone who walks past his stable, but for Aime, he goes to the back of his stable and looks sadwub.gif

Been having my lessons, my lesson a couple of weeks ago was bloody awful. Blue was convinced there was a monster hiding at A, and kept spooking and diving in off the track there. He was also really stiff and refusing to bend, we just didn't get any progress (apart from me learning how to sit to his spooks more!). Last week he was absolutely amazing. Really responsive, listening to me and bending beautifully. We managed a few canters without him breaking into trot until I asked him. Usually when he comes back into trot, he is a bit unbalanced and takes a while to get back into a decent trot, however on our last canter to trot transition, he went straight into a beautiful balanced trot as soon as I asked him! Claire my instructor knew how good it was purely by the huge grin on my face!

Got an update on another one of the poorly horses, Penni, who has been diagnosed with a chipped bone, might now have calcification of the ligament instead of the chipped bone. She has to go for a scan on Thursday - Leahurst wanted £500 plus the scan, however their vets want £60 + sedation, and they will send the results to Leahurst for assessment!

Aww spring is definately in the air with all these lurved up horses :wub: :laugh:

Keeping everything crossed the scan goes well Gooster :flowers:

Not sure whether I should say this but I will whisper Loki is sound

Getting a bit nervous about moving this weekend :unsure:

I apologise for selfpitying post but I am so near the end of my tether I don't know how much more I can stand. Loki has ripped his shoe off today, cracked his hoof and is obviously sore.

He will now have to stay confined to his stable until farrier is out on Wednesday, then I will probably have to keep him in until I move on Saturday as the field they have been moved to is deep and they are very unsettled in it, so chances of him doing it again it quite high, that means I am going to try and get hold of more hay as I have run my supply right down ready for the move and he doesn't have much bedding left for the same reason. How am I supposed to empty his box and lift matting on Saturday with him not being able to go out. Why does everything have to be so complicated with him :mecry:

Sorry selfpitying whinge over with :blush02:

Lessons sound great Jayne and you seem much more confident!! :biggrin:

Good news that the chipped bone is hopefully not a chipped bone too - owners must be very relieved to put it mildly.

Clare :GroupHug: You're not self-pitying - you are just airing your very justified anguish, just a plan to go to plan is all that you're asking for!! GreatBrilliant that Loki is otherwise well though (I whispered that too).

Duke had his imprint shoes fitted today and by all accounts was a total star - the vet said she thought he was wonderful because he was so well behaved and cuddly - Duke and cuddly made me :laugh: but he can be a big soppy boy when he wants to be and does look quite cute with his winter coat. He's been really good in his stable whereas in his youth he'd have been banging to go out within about 1.5 days! I think he's quietly enjoying his home comforts and has gone all pipe and slippers ;). Good news was that, apart from his one foot, she said his joints were in excellent condition and that there were NO signs of arthritis :elefant: That's wonky legs for you but I'm so pleased to know that. Bad news is that he has another 2 weeks of box rest and then daily turn out if the ground is dry. They could see from the xray that at one point of his foot there was only quarter of an inch of sole and ater paring the foot to fit the shoe she could see the bruisng :(. Explains why he couldn't cope with stones when ridden barefoot. The technician was telling my Dad about a horse they had been caring for who passed away aged 43! I told Duke I'm expecting him to be around for another 15 years at least :)

Nope, can't see why he'd pull his shoes off :rolleyes: :biggrin: :wub: He looks fantastic!

Good question about Cornish, thank you for asking Clare. He's basically just hanging by the gate and refusing to go to the bottom of the field and eat, just pecking at the grass around him now and again. Hence he's on three big feeds a day to try and stop him from losing any more weight than he already has. He only picks at hay/haylage as well so it's not an easy task! Any weight gain tips/advice very much appreciated. Going through bags of food at quite a rate so forage that he would eat would be nice otherwise he's pretty much only eating when he gets a bucket.

I think I need to send you a black and white "gift" in the post to keep him company :whistle:

Seriously though its a tough one, have you thought about trying the readi grass type feeds that are popular now, supposed to be good for getting weight on I think. Would maybe bringing him in overnight help, he might be more tempted to go and graze when he goes back out :shrug: Poor lad give him a big :GroupHug: from me.

My mind has been made up about turnout, new horse arriving and going out tomorrow so Loki will have to stay in until we move on Saturday. I now need to go to the feed shop and get two bales of hay in my little Fiesta, good job I am not car proud :laugh:

Oh no for Loki's shoesad.gif What a nightmare, flippin horseswacko.gif We are lucky on our farm as hay/haylage is included in the rent so we don't have to worry about sourcing anythingsmile.gif

Glad Duke was a good boy for his feet. I am rarely there for Blue's feet as is much better behaved without merolleyes.gif

Had another lesson yesterday and he did try it on once, but whilst it usually takes a good 15/20 mins to settle, he was pretty much chilled straight away and only did one massive spook just after he had worked really hard and was about to get a free walk to chill him out a bit. Claire then made him work harder until he chilled out again! She was saying that we need to get someone to video him to see how good he looks when he is working for me, as I still imagine him trotting round like a llama!!!!

Thanks Reds :flowers:

Move went really well, he seems very chilled and happy to be back. I had a lovely hack this morning, despite him going out of the car park like a snorty prancing monster with me wondering if riding him after three months off, one week without turnout, and first day in new yard was a good idea :laugh:

Have turned him out in a small paddock on is own and am suprised how well he is coping as he generally doesn't do on this own, but they don't want to mix him with group until next weekend, he has horses next to him so hopefully he should be okay, just got to hope he has four shoes when I get him in :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

Time for a picture overload!!!

My brother and sister came down to have a ride on Earl a few days ago and my dad came down with his camera and took photos. Both my brother and sister have learning problems and used to ride with RDA but havnt ridden in years so were chuffed to be back on board.

Aren't I sexy?

earl1-1.jpg

My sister on board:

EArl4.jpg

EARL5.jpg

earl6.jpg

My brother:

earl7.jpg

earl9.jpg

earl8.jpg

And finally, me popping a jump for the first time in 6 years..

earl2-1.jpg

earl3-2.jpg

Im really pleased with him, hes such a lovely horse. And bearing in mind he lives out and is a good doer im pleased with his weight for this time of year, and I think he looks great for 19 :biggrin: