UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

I don't think I realised how far I had come with my horsemanship until I witnessed today what can only be described as the most appaulling display of ignorance towards horses and their needs in my life and from supposed professionals!!

I was in the jumping school chilling out with my mare Easta having just done some ground work and developing our backing up. When a lorry with two cars arrived full of people, to move a livery to her new yard, I didn't think anything of it until I heard the said horse galloping up the lane having escpaed fro mtheir clutches.

I carried on letting Easta eat and was swishing flies off her with my rope, just hanging out as the nice sunny evening is ripe for. After 20 mins I thought I'd wander back up to the yard and stood dumbfounded by the site. This poor horse was in a chifney, something I have never used or would want to, with a 20 stone woman hanging on the end of the lead rope gobbing her in the mouth calling her an 'f-ing cow' and screaming that she will get on the 'goddamn lorry' the woman is facing her and naturally this mare wants out of there, so to limit her escape routes there are lunge lines tied either side to the ramp to capture her, and then 6 people (yes 6!) behind with lunge whips, ropes etc.

I literally stood with my mouth open and then freaked, last time I had witnesses this school of 'educating' horses to load one reared over backwards and died immediately and the other kicked its way out the trailer and I took charge and loaded it on to my lorry after 40 mins of ground work. Now I don't profess to be an expert and but this mare was utterly terrified. Once the manage to scare her that theo nly way to escape was to get on the lorry they proceeded to beat her once she was on!!

I don't know how the owner of this horse could stand by and watch, this mare that she paid £15000 for just being abused and I will lay money on she'll never load again, not for those people. Once they'd gone I sat down in Easta stall while she ate her tea and took it all in, I couldn't have tackled the situation as the woman hates me and thinks I'm some sort of western freak, because I ride in various saddles and sometimes even bareback, proper riders don't do that. They don't hack out, they don't hang out with their horses or just go for a play. They put on gadgets, they winch their heads in, beat them to submissions apparently. unfortunately her 'dressage' mare is a feisty mare, she'll not take this grief for long but then I fear she'll be sold on for meat money as a problem to god only knows where and all because of the failings of these people.

I had planned to start this blog sometime ago, but never managed it but seeing what I did today I felt I had to start. To make people realise horsemanship is not some substandard way to work with your horse and for those who don't want to ride, when I met a talented horseman, Len Judd a few years ago it was like the scales had fallen from my eyes and I never looked back. Click on my signature if you want to read about my parelli/hunt journey!

pops05.jpg

Oh my :wub: :wub: :wub:

Had much fun this morning playing with immitation ditches, having realised that blue tarp did not equal a ditch to Loki covered it in black bin bags and that certainly looked more ditch like from the first jump I got over it :laugh: But he did take it on and jumped it, allbeit high and sideways and we nearly went over the school fence :rolleyes: :wub:

I like having all the time in the world to play with my pony, I don't want to go back to work tomorrow :mecry:

Oh my! Thud! What a lovely BIG white face, and those feathers!!!

OK, yearling is fine, fortunatly was wearing a rug to keep him dry, so no damage, and he is a fearless bolshy little whatsit anyway, but there is still no excuse for putting him at risk like that. He'd been playing with the bag which had blown into his field - pawing at it, snorting etc. His owner just thought she'd add another dimension to the game, without thinking of the possible consequences.

The livery owner has been alerted and will be keeping an eye on things - the horse owner is moving one of her horses off the yard, but the yearling can't go because he's still entire and the current yard is set up for entire horses.

Changing the subject - does anyone use/heard of 'pig oil and sulphur' for horses with feathers and mud fever/mites/greasy heels? Is it safe to use on an in foal mare?

Sarah - More details please :flowers: and when do I come and visit (with an ice hockey type helmet-just in case) :laugh:

Now now San, you know Tara was only trying kiss you.

Don't make her give you 'the look' (which she has perfected by watching MrsB)

youlookingfortrouble.jpg

"Come close Sandra....look into my eyes...clooossser....cloooossser, you will feel NOOO pain..."

And just because she is beautiful, and its her with her favourite tree

tarafield017.jpg

The new chappie. His name is Pops (made me think of Grandad Brynn for some reason), he is 21yrs old. He is 14.2h and gorrrrrrrrrrrrrgeous! He only has one eye, but it makes no difference to him. He is just toooooo scrummy for words, and a total dote. I welled up and got all tearful when I met him, lost the power of speech for a while and had to let Auntie Lindsey do the talking. I am like a child on christmas morning waiting for tomorrow to arrive.

Pops has just sent me a text (he's a very clever horse) to let me know he is ready and waiting to come to his new mummy and his little horsey suitcase is all packed up.

Clare my friend did video me but I just havent got it uploaded yet.....will try over the weekend though its far from exciting :rolleyes:

:GroupHug: for Wanda

Bodmin Moor ponies are rather lovely arent they :wub: and Golden Girlie is gorgeous :wub:

Good boy Rolo, hope you get a saddle sorted and get back to riding him comfortably :)

God hearing stories like that would make you very cautious with livery yards......run free at the Bridge little pony :mecry:

Sarah ive watched Pat Parelli on telly and been really impressed. Why can people not just take a little time and work with the horse :(

Pops is just adorable and has a really squishy kissy nose :wub: :wub:

Good on Loki for jumping the scary ditch :biggrin:

Back tomorrow again for a lesson. Instructor mentioned jumping this week so im wibbling already :mellow:

Changing the subject - does anyone use/heard of 'pig oil and sulphur' for horses with feathers and mud fever/mites/greasy heels? Is it safe to use on an in foal mare?

I've successfully used it on my gelding, who when I got him had terrible greasy, itchy heels and all the way up through his feathers to the backs of his knees. I don't know how it would fare on a pregnant mare though.

Sarah, what a horrible sight for you to witness. There's a saying that 'violence starts where knowledge ends' and its nowhere better illustrated than among certain kinds of 'horsey' people. That poor, poor horse :mecry:

Pops is gorgeous, we will need many more pics of him :biggrin: :wub:

OMG Pops is :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

I am :mad: at my (now ex) farrier. He was due to shoe Blue 3 weeks ago, but when he sent me the text the night before to tell me what time he'd be coming, I couldn't make it as I had a solicitors appointment at that time, I asked if he could fit me in in the morning, but it was a flat no, and he told me he'd book me in for the following week. The next week arrives, together with no farrier, so I text him again and ask him whether he can do last week, or today. He text back 2 days later and booked me in for today. Yet again, he failed to show up, Blue has a loose shoe and I've had it with him. I've sent a text to another farrier which another of the girls on the yard uses - hopefully he can fit Blue in next week, otherwise I don't know what I'm going to do.