UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

Yesterday I was mostly been poo picking. But I also found time for a little grooming/bonding session with this young lady.

DSC00982.jpg

Her name is Bronnie and she's a Welsh Section D broodmare, in foal (due Spring 09) to a similarly marked section D stallion. Because her owner has extra family commitments at the moment, I've been told she can be my 'special lady' and I can play with her (and any of the other stud horses at the yard) whenever I want.......... I is happy bunny!

Bronny looks gorgeous :wub:

:ohmy: Just been watching the Burleigh Horse Trials, some spectacular falls :ohmy: and you want to do that kind of thing Clare? :huh:

I sure do :biggrin: Although about 2ft smaller :laugh:

We went to Boomerang schooling yesterday, I was kind of out voted as I had concerns about it being too wet and it was a long way to go to find it waterlogged, but the course was declared open so off we went :rolleyes:

It was horribly wet, but it was mainly surface water and not boggy or slippery, but we did only stick to the fences with prepared ground, which was retrictive to the people that only wanted to pop a few small fences as none of these were on the surfaces and and as a result too wet to jump. Anyway I think most people enjoyed themselves.

They had some very strange jumps there! I jumped a pencil, cigarette, banana, carrot, boomerang .... I didn't jump the crocodile, duck, train ........ :wacko:

He jumped through an owl hole!!! Didn't bother him in the slighest, we did the owl hole, then down an incline in the lake, jumped out the lake up a step and then over a house, was like proper eventing :laugh: OH was cross as he missed it with the camera and wanted me to do it again, but as it was perfect there was no way I was having another go!

In hindsight I wonder if it was a bit too much too soon for him, not that he gave me any indication to think he was worried during the day, but he returned home a little tucked up, to honest I think the most challenging thing for him was the three hour round trip in the trailer, the longest he has ever done, he travelled really well though and I was incredibly proud of him :wub:

This morning he looked fine, just a little bit tense and jumpier than usual, but when I first started taking him out to things he would be like this for a day or two, I suppose I need to push the boundaries a little bit now, as he takes going out locally in his stride, to be honest I am a bit tired and frazzled too so probably being over sensitive :wacko:

Right I have a video clip and blurry pictures just for Jacky :laugh:

Fab pics Clare!!

I am aching all over today, a group of us did the Longdendale trail yesterday, and there are lots of wide open spaces for galloping :biggrin: Blue decided he really really liked that, and whilst lagging behind everyone else in walk, in canter and gallop, he shot ahead of everyone and I sort of lost use of my brakes!!! Then the rest of the time when I wanted him to walk, he was prancing around like a wally because he wanted to be off again :rolleyes: Was funny at work today, as we have to duck down underneath the patient counters, and when I got down, I couldn't get back up again - much to everyone's amusement :laugh:

:biggrin: Clare those photo's are fab!!! You really are going on in leaps (literally!!!) :laugh: I imagine it was the journey that's made him abit tucked up, he certainly doesn't look at all bothered by the days fun!!!

Jayne I did the Longendale trail years ago, absolutely brilliant place to ride!! You are lucky to have that near by!

Bronnie is stunning!! :wub: :wub: We've got a new livery coming soon, she's got an ID x Halfinger (sp?)...apparently he's 16.3hh and 'built like a brick sh*t house!!! :laugh: ' but gentle as a lamb...she's already offered a swap and she's a happy hacker too and has said she'll be pestering me to ride out with her!! :biggrin:

Had a lovely weekend, saturday was a quick schooling session as I was busy all day but sunday we'd arranged a hack (me and Laura one of the other girls have decided to try and stick to at least having a sunday hack together). Anyway went round a fab circuit which has 3 miles of grass tracks....needless to say Kane was on his knees by the time we got home..but he was still cantering to the last minute!! :laugh: Her little section d is a pocket rocket and I'd told her to not wait for me on the canters cos Kane wouldn't keep up...how wrong was i!!!! :laugh: First one he did keep well behind and seemed to be struggling...2nd one he went from walk to gallop and Laura had to kick Tess on to get out of our way!!! Then every time his feet touched grass he was trying to canter!!! Forgotten how much he loves proper hacking!! He's definately going to have to be clipped this winter, that should be fun!! :rolleyes:

Managed to throw my shoulder out again though on sunday..not hacking, it was as I was leaving the yard I turned to say goodbye to someone and it popped out!!! :ohmy: So was off sick yesterday, although I still managed to ride!! :wink: :laugh: Had kind people open the gates to the big field for me and just had a quick plod round there, funny how he seems to know when he can be silly and when he needs to look after me. :wub: :wub:

Sounds like everyone has been having a fab time, those photos and video are fab Claire, Loki is looking amazing.

Glad to hear Blue is having fun (and you of course) Jayne, would be lovely to see some piccies of you on him again at some point.

Sounds like Kane is having fun too - you both seem so much happier at your new yard, and it is a lovely place.

I had a rather exciting weekend, it was the national dressage finals down at Melton Mowbray (UK Riders) and I had qualified Apple for the novice and elementary. I decided to take Will with me as well for the trip out and for the experience, so I travelled them both down on Saturday afternoon in a little 3.5T box that I had hired, they both travelled really well even though Will has never been in a box like that before and it is a 2 1/2 hour journey. Got there only to find that they had only reserved 1 stable for me instead of the 2 that I had had confirmation for, much stressing later I got a 2nd stable allocated, but all the stables were temporary and had been put up on a field that was waterlogged so that stables were all pretty damp!!! The boys settled well, Will's eyes were a bit out on stalks for the first few hours, there were about 200 horses stabled there for competing the next day so loads going on, Apple just set into his haynet and let the world go by as usual!!!

Sunday was competition day but I wasn't riding until 5.20 so I had all day to watch the others competing that were from the same centres that I compete out, was a really nice atmosphere, none of the usual snooty dressage people!!! We did the novice test in the outdoor arena and I was so pleased with Apple, we have never done a better test and he has never gone better, fantastic feeling. We then had about 45 minutes until our elementary test, gave him a quick rest then warmed up again, the warm up arena was heaving with people which normally sends him loony, but he was fab, then went and did our elementary test in the indoor - which he also doesn't like cos we never get to practice in one!! He was a little tense but generally really good.

The big news is...

We came 7th out of about 40 in the novice :partytime:

And 2nd out of about 30 in the elementary :elefant: :elefant:

I am so proud of my little pocket rocket, I was in the line up for presentation of the elementary surrounded by 17hh + warmbloods in double bridles and there was me on my little nearly 14hh, 18 year old ex jumping pony in a snaffle, he was an absolute superstar all weekend and took everything in his stride. :wub: :wub:

Apologies for the long post, but I is very pleased with my little lad and everything we have achieved together :blush02:

No wonder you are chuffed to bits. Well done.

We had a major panic on Sunday - the stallion at the yard was really poorly - very very loose yellow green droppings and very weak. The vets took samples of everything and hooked him up to a drip, which finally came out Sunday evening, but he was still being 'topped up' yesterday.

Nothing had changed in his diet, apart from a new load of haylage and he'd been wormed - but so had everyone else on the yard, and others had also had the same haylage with no ill effects. So just waiting for the vet results. It was touch and go for a while. The owners really don't deserve such cr@p luck :(

WELL DONE APPLE AND KATHERINE!!! :circle: :circle:

Brilliant year you've had, all your hard work paying off :partytime:

Have you thought of entering the VHS showing classes? The finalists get to compete at Olympia.

Really hope the stallion recovers quickly Fran and that they can identify the cause. Terrifying to see them ill :GroupHug:

No wonder you are chuffed to bits. Well done.

We had a major panic on Sunday - the stallion at the yard was really poorly - very very loose yellow green droppings and very weak. The vets took samples of everything and hooked him up to a drip, which finally came out Sunday evening, but he was still being 'topped up' yesterday.

Nothing had changed in his diet, apart from a new load of haylage and he'd been wormed - but so had everyone else on the yard, and others had also had the same haylage with no ill effects. So just waiting for the vet results. It was touch and go for a while. The owners really don't deserve such cr@p luck :(

I wonder if it's something going around? :unsure:

Thug had mild colic with scouring the Monday night after I came off him, then again the following night.

His worming is up to date and we haven't changed anything, I went round the field three times checking for anything he could have picked up but nothing apart from a few mushrooms and we get them every year with no ill effects.

The vet said he might have picked up a bug? from somewhere that could have caused it.

Damn that reminds me I have to pay the vet bill :(

He had me worried sick and he wasn't overly happy about becoming an equine pin cushion either :wacko: