UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

Hello :wavey: Back from sunny and lovely Cornwall :biggrin:

Loki stayed out of trouble whilst I was away, and for the first time didn't get himself in a state so I guess he realised I was coming back :rolleyes:

Glad the new place is working out EAD, Rosie sounds very nice :wub: Did your friend video you on Friday, if so why isn't it on here :unsure: :laugh:

K9, I use tail conditioner on Loki's tail and it doesn't seem to have any negative effects on the insulation factor, Loki's tail gets really grotty and I have certainly noticed the difference since I ran out of mane and tail and keep forgettign to pick some more up when I am at the tack shop :)

I have pictures of Bodmin Moor ponies, will share when I get round to uploading them :)

BUGGER!

Brought Wanda in this evening to ride and immediately noticed she had had a nose bleed. She's a high blower and does occasionally bleed, it's always minimal and stops really quickly. Today I tied her up and started grooming and when I went to her head she was bleeding from both nostrils! :unsure: Not huge amounts but dripping fairly quickly, rang vet and he said if it stopped within the next half hour she should be ok until tomorrow and then she will have to be scoped to find out where the blood was coming from. This more than a bit worrying especially after Obe ended up with a hole drilled in his face after his nose bleed was caused by a fungus infection in his sinus. Anyway it did stop and two hours later has not started again, Sam is going to check her at about 10.30.

I can't help thinking about gutteral pouches and bleeding out, what's worse is that I'm at work tomorrow and no way can get time off so Sam will have to deal with the vet etc. Wanda could not be in better hands though but I'll be on edge until I hear from her tomorrow!

BIG HUGS for Wanda.

One of the ponies was coughing today, that sort of 'I'm trying to shift some crap off my chest' sort of cough :(

Had a nasty does of llivery yard politics though :( Owner reackons it's a seasonal thing - every spring and every autumn.........

Had a nasty does of llivery yard politics though :( Owner reackons it's a seasonal thing - every spring and every autumn.........

Oooh how interesting, there are rumblings at ours at the moment :rolleyes:

Big :GroupHug: s for Wanda and PW. Hoping that it is just a one off :flowers:

Here are the pony pics as promised, not great but I had Murf on the lead with me so couldn't go any closer and each time I took a pic he suddenly got a scent in the opposite direction :laugh:

Pony3.JPG

Caught mid scratch

Pony2.JPG

pony.JPG

Mmm yard politics.. LOVE IT!!

We've had the same, two liveries have left which is great as one nearly came to blows with me at the weekend when she was trying to load her horse and beat the living day lights out of it. So harmony is back in the camp so to speak.

We've had a few coughs and splutters but nothing too bad its a seasonal thing I guess.

I had hoped to ride out tonight but looksl ike I'm going to be working late again, not good!

Well Wanda had the doctor and she scoped both sides with no evidence of blood or infection in the sinus or gutteral pouches, phew! When both nostrils bleed it's most likely to be from the lungs so doc did a lung wash and we will have the results in a few days. Wanda was lunged to try to reproduce the bleed, no bleed but plenty of bucky kickies and loud snorts! :laugh:

In view of the fact the Wanda is slightly dust sensitive and prone to loud clearing of the throat doc says it's very important I get her really fit and keep her that way, particularly with the canter work to open her airways and get rid of any junk in there! So Wanda does not have a sick note and is not off work but there is a fly in the ointment! She is being freezemarked tomorrow so will need two or three days off, oh poop, I can't win! :biggrin:

Yard Politics - We have only ever had one yard nutter and boy was she a nutter! It was amazing how one person could change a nice place into hell, we nearly had a party when she left! :laugh:

DSC01025.jpg

The golden girlie in the sunshine.

It was so sweet, the stallion who sired her latest foal is her 'one true love' and was turned out in the field across the walk way from the mares, and they kept calling to each other, and blowing kisses to each other across the fences. Apparently when he covers her he spends a lot of time wooing her and smooching and is a total gentleman........ :wub:

Aww what a lovely girl :wub: So nice to hear romance isn't dead :laugh:

Sounds like good news for Wanda :biggrin: :flowers: Although she does seem determind to get out of work by any means :laugh:

I clipped Loki this morning, he was such a good boy, did it on my own and he stood there as good as gold. I even managed to get my lines sort of straight, I get better each year :laugh: It is earlier than I would have liked to clip him but he is so wooly and have this HT on Sunday so thought I had better do it whilst I had the time. I like this not working, I am going to find going back to work on Thursday very hard :rolleyes:

Another flying visit from me - home internet connection is now almost nonexistant!

Sorry poor Wanda is havign a few troubles - good luck with the freezemarking.

Try human hair conditioner on tails - something not too heavy - works wonders!

I sat on Rolo on Saturday - only for 10 mins and only in walk, but it is a start. If I am going to start riding again, I have to get a different saddle! I also got him to wlak over a tarp for the first time on Sunday - several times! Even got him to stand still on it while I took a photo!!

Sorry this is so brief, but I have more time to read than to write!!

A few weeks back I got a text off my best mate to say that another horse had "died" at "that" yard that Thug went to where they beat him.

The test actually read "A horse was put down at XXxXXX a few weeks ago and some sick b****** put it on you tube with the horse impaled on a pole".

I was stunned but looked on youtube for confirmation and couldn't find anything so assumed it was just a sick rumour.

On Sunday I picked up one of the women who keeps a horse up there and so said I'd heard that a horse had died up their yard. Nothing prepared me for what she told me.

She agreed and said yes, the same woman and man who beat Thug whilst trying to break him in had been schooling a 13.2 pony in the menage.

The young owner was on holiday (as was the woman telling me this) and had only owned the pony a few weeks.

Allegedly the pony had a "paddy fit" and jumped out of the menage into the next field. Just as they were debating how to get the pony back round it allegedly jumped back in and they noticed a piece of wood protruding out of its chest :(

They walked it back to its stable and rang the vet. He arrived and although the pony was relatively calm, after inspecting the wound fully decided that due to the size of the operation needed to remove the pole versus recuperation and insurance that the pony was better off euthanased.

They did not shoot him due to the amount of young children around, so used drugs, although the woman said that it took a long time for him to die due to his blood pressure being very low. :mecry:

The sickening thing is this - this woman told me that after the vet had left, the woman who owns the yard went and got a knife from her kitchen and cut the pony open to determine how big the piece of wood was :ohmy:

And the woman telling me was trying to reassure me saying "it's ok though, there was no blood" :ohmy:

Apparently the wood had entered his chest and had lodged just below his stifle :mecry:

She then took pictures of what she'd done to show the pony's owner how bad the injury was :angry: :ohmy: :mecry:

I am completely sickened and have finally blown the whistle :evil:

Run free sweetheart, I hope and pray that your death wasn't in vain and that something is finally done to close down this hellhole :GroupHug:

Edited by supafrisk

:ohmy: :ohmy: That poor pony and new owners, I can't imagine the force that must have been needed for him/her to have gotten impaled :( :( . I would never ever ever dream of showing anyone who loved him/her such photos :ohmy:. The vets must have a few tales about that yard. Disgusting.

Gallop free little pony.

:GroupHug: :GroupHug: :GroupHug:

I was completely stunned, I honestly thought "Gawd, the tales people tell" when i first got the text, but to have someone else confirm it and then think it's ok for the Y/O to get a carving knife out and slit the poor thing open to determine the extent of the injury is sick and mindless and I stand fast on my earlier opinion that the witch is a bunny boiler and should be banned from keeping animals :angry:

Thug had a very very lucky escape, I remember the wicked woman telling me he'd had a "paddy fit" in the menage and wouldn't school on one side - I'm horrified at what could have happened to him :ohmy: