UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

Duke has already been hatching a plot of how to get himself over to yours!! See you Sunday, I've now remembered some forgotten leg muscles :laugh:

Hope the vet didn't take too long to reach you Clare and that the news was good for turnout. Also hope Loki's foot isn't too badly damaged where he ripped the shoe off and you can both be out under saddle again soon.

Vet has been for Duke and he's now had an injection for ear mites, apparently and yes you've guessed it, very rare in horses! :laugh: All bases covered now at least so fingers crossed it stops irritating him soon and he stops rubbing. Bit puzzled as to how he would have gotten mites mind?? :unsure: Anyone know?

I bought them some alfalfa to help absorb all his powders, I've only had Hi-fi, Fibergy and various chaff mixes before and Duke always leaves the thick bits of straw (to the point I would spend ages picking them out of his feed before gicing it to him :rolleyes: ) but am pleased to say the alfalfa has gone down very well so that's the chaff problem solved!

Edited by reds

Eewww poor Duke, that must be driving him crazy, hope the injection kicks in quickly :flowers:

Not great news on the turnout front :rolleyes:

Foot is doing great, no secondary infection and he is not reacting to the foot testers, but he is still quite lame on it when he doesn't have his boot on, and because of this the vet wants him to stay in for another week :mecry:

My farrier says he will be lame without the shoe because of the way his foot is, there is a lot of pressure on the frog when he is shoeless, which is why my farrier always shoes him one foot at a time so he is not left standing without a shoe for to long.

I am really torn, YO has offered some electric fence and space in the field next to the boys to make a little pen, but vet has said that he needs to stay in, as if any mud got in the hole we could be in real trouble. I am confident I could wrap the hoof up in enough duct tape and the boot for extra insurance that this wouldn't happen, but do I take the risk, really not sure what to do for the best, he is hating being in :(

Hope Duke's itchy ears have settled!

How's Loki's foot Clare? Wanda sends him a cyber carrot!

On the Wanda front she is complaining about boot camp as she is back in steadily increasing work and has not broken yet!

Have had a new saddle fitter out and she is not too impressed with Wanda's set up and fit, she thinks the panels are wrong for Wanda and the flaps are too short for me, I am riding with Obe's panels and flaps at the moment and can't believe the difference. She also said she would not have sold me a flat seat for a horse of Wanda's shape, so basically that's the whole saddle wrong. I'm not sure I feel like coughing up another £1600 though, well it wouldn't be £1600 cos I'd be able to sell mine but it's still money again. Wanda thinks it's a great idea but she would! :laugh:

Glad it's all systems go for Wanda, poor poor gilr having to work for a living :wink: :wub:

What did Loki do exactly Clare? It is possible to wrap them up well enough with duct tape and vetwrap but I would only do it on relatively dry ground, so prob. wait a couple of days after the weekends rain, and not for more than a few hours at a time. What boot have you got out of interest?

Yikes about the saddle PW Hope you can sort something out :flowers:

Loki's foot seems to be fine, except the giant hole that is :laugh:

Reds, he managed to twist half his shoe off and then stod on one of the nails that went very deeply into his foot :huh: Having now read up on what can happen with infection is such deep hole, I knew I had to keep him in no matter what, I think I had a bad day on Friday and the thought of him being in another week tipped me over the edge on the coping stakes :blush02:

He has coped really well over the weekend, but then I have grazed him in hand for a total of 6 hours I have just worked out. No doubt he will not be happy with my tonight for abandoning him to go to work, I managed to give him half and hour this morning and will do an hour tonight.

Vet back out on Wednesday, so hoping he will mutter the magic words but don't really know if I am being realistic or not.

I searched high and low for a boot to fit his odd shaped and rather large feet, but love the one I found :biggrin: Tis this one Hoof Eeze

Thanks for the link Clare. What was the vet verdict today? (fingers crossed!)

Duke still seems to be scratching his ears and the one looks so sore as he's rubbed it until it bleeds. I don't see him actually scratching/rubbing all that much so it's obviously not incessant but I'm not happy with it. Vet said to phone on Friday so I'm hoping it might settle within the full week since last Fri. Not too sure it will though. Will just have to wait and see.....

Poor Duke it must be really irritating for him, sending lots of get well wishes :GroupHug: :wub:

The vet came yesterday and gave the go ahead for the shoe to go back on :partytime: The farrier is out tomorrow, and if he seems fine after he can go out on Saturday :biggrin: With a shot of calming paste, booted up to the eyeballs, and with a very nervous mum watching no doubt :rolleyes: I think getting to the field could be the tricky part, I have to walk through two fields to get there, it could be exciting :unsure: :laugh:

Good luck and calming thoughts for tomorrow Clare.

Well they have just finished the harvesting I suppose :wacko: . The vet gave mites as an explanation as he still seemed to be rubbing despite the antibiotics but as he's still rubbing even after the shot, I'm really quite confused. I'm not sure if he's just knocking it as opposed to actively rubbing it or if he's rubbing it just because it's still so sore from all the previous rubbing as opposed to it being a primary rubbing if that makes any sense!!

The surface of the haematoma and the edges of his ear were blistered a little today, literally red raw. Do you know anything you think might help to soothe it? Vet's going to catch up with us on Monday so hopefully by then I might have made my mind up if he's still actively rubbing it. I honestly don't know what to think at the moment.

Blondie has had harvest mite infestation on her leg this year but foaly had nothing, she was quite uncomfortable with them and took a while to clear up.

I spent today with the horses as I've been away this last week and it was lovely to have some time to potter around. Easta is really coming on with the horsemanship and I can get collection, halt, rein back and all transitions in a rope halter which considering I couldn't canter her 6 months ago when she came home I am absolutely delighted about. She is so much more chilled and starting to understand the principles of what we're doing.

Newt also had a go at jumping over a fence as part of his ground work today, after we'd been through it a few times he eventually worked out how to pick his feet up. Hes getting alot bigger again, not sure at 5 he should be but I suspect he maybe as big as Blondie next year.

The Blonde one is coming home in 3 weeks time! The big Mummy horse returneth, god help Newt he'll have to be supervised and kept in line that much is for sure. i'm looking forward to pootling around on her for a few months before I decide if I'm going to use her as an embryo transfer for an Easta foal or wait another year or two. It all depends if we manage to buy some land this year or next, to keep them all on.

Some picutres from today:

DSC02629.jpg

Not a very attractive one of Easta and I

Rein Back:

DSC02632.jpg

Turns:

DSC02631.jpg

and Mr Newt in his nice new saddle:

DSC02633.jpg

and jumping a picture strip!

DSC02640.jpg

I am finally back on the internet!!!

Not had time to fully catch up yet - but Newt and east both look great - love the jumping sequence!

I have a wonder cure for leg mites - pig oil and sulphur - paint it on Rolo's legs on a regular basis and it has done wonders - no mites and no sore scaly skin that his type are prone to.

I may have foudn a proper saddle that actually fits Rolo - xxxw!! :ohmy: :laugh: I am not convinced that it fits me, but given all I am doing is being led around on him at the mo, I doubt that it matters! Fitter is coming Wednesday - fingers crossed. i did look in to getting a WOW PW, but sort of glad that I dismissed it - tooo expensive! This one is a Don Burrell - anyone heard of it/him? :)

Rolo is coming along so nicely - must get another video done of him - she has started to introduce turns on the haunches and leg yielding - he concentrates so hard, bless him. She is also going to compete him in dressage for me - if we get a saddle. :)

Hope Loki is OK Clare

Great pics Sarah! Easta and Newt look wonderful. Could you do a close up of the western saddle and a teeny explanation. I know a Mrs Wiccs would be very interested and I know virtually nought about western tack myself :flowers:

What treatment did Blondie have for the mites? It's Dukes one ear that's the problem which makes it all the more confusing. He rubbed the other a little the day after the antibiotics started but not since. Tonight it was no better but no worse so I'm still none the wiser. I'm guessing it's just still itchy from being so sore? They moved into the winter field today so at least he'll be too busy stuffing to rub much for a few days :rolleyes: (I hope!).

What treatment did Blondie have for the mites? It's Dukes one ear that's the problem which makes it all the more confusing. He rubbed the other a little the day after the antibiotics started but not since. Tonight it was no better but no worse so I'm still none the wiser. I'm guessing it's just still itchy from being so sore? They moved into the winter field today so at least he'll be too busy stuffing to rub much for a few days :rolleyes: (I hope!).

Frontline flea spray for cats and dogs is meant to treat mites - check with vet first tho!

Thanks Bradders I will. Thing is he's already had an injection to kill them so there shouldn't be any left, assuming there were any there to begin with!

It's been a week since the injection so you'd think it would have calmed down a bit by now?? Grrrrrrr to me not understanding what's going on!

Injection and then hibiscrubbed her legs, which is easier as its her legs. I did debate frontline myself but after someone told that sweet itch could be cured by giving dog ivermectin as an injection to horses and a friend decided to give it a go and her horse dropped down dead from a stroke I'm a little careful about cross species drugs!

I find Hair and Skin Cream is great for sore, bald or scaley skin as well once things have calmed down a bit.

I'll do some pics of the western tack and some explanations as I guess my pictures look like we're doing not alot but its still early days for us but the progress we've made is huge already. I'll put osmething on my blog when I get chance to right it that is :rolleyes: