UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

No his hooves are apparantly good :) But his heals are low so my farrier fits wide ish shoes to support the heal so there is some of the shoe sticking out of the side which makes over reaching very easy if he is pratting around in the field.

Why it is suddenly becoming an issue now I don't know, I can only assume he is running around the field more :unsure:

At the moment he goes out at night and in during the day, I am wondering if he would be more settled going out during the day and in at night. His field companion is very insecure as well, so if something bothers one, it winds the other one up I really need fieldmate that would ignore his fretting, but if I move him away from his current pal I would upset my friend and it looks as if I am blaming her horse, and she is very sensitive about that :(

I don't think barefoot is an issue with him unfortuantly because of his very flat feet, with have just managed to take the bar shoe off the hinds. It may be an option if he was being turned away, but I don't think he would cope with any work. Will ask my farrier though :)

I don't think you can use the boots for dressage :unsure:

That's odd then, I'd imagine the dryness of his feet at the moment might be a factor? I guess your only option is brushing boots (for want of anything else to try). I can understand not wanting to upset the other girl but if it's at the cost of the farrier giving up on you and costing you a fortune into the bargain I'd give it a try! :GroupHug: God it must be so frustrating!!!! It can't be doing his feet any good having the shoes ripped off like that either!!!

Oh just to rub it in....at my new yard there is a resident farrier!! :wink: Going to use him for the first time on saturday but apparently by all accounts he's very good and nice and quiet round the horses (although I'm a tad worried cos he's a tiny little man and Kane might squash him if he has and Evil Kane moment!!! :laugh: )

Frant used to lose shoes regularly (at least 2 each month) and I did two things:

first of all I changed my farrier (well, I changed yards so that bit was easy!)

then I put over-reach boots on.

In all the time since, he's lost 1 shoe!!!!

If you don't want to change your farrier, at least try the over-reach boots. They do seem to help :)

Sorry, quick response again!

Clare - have you tried natural balance shoes - Nemo had flat feet until I changed to a farrier that uses Natural balance shoes - he uses them on Rolo too and his feet have improved beyond all recognition.

Nemo is also prone to very dry feet in the Summer - I use Effol once a day - that helps!

:)

Shoe is back on (well it was at 7am anyway :rolleyes: ) he is going out for the day with over reach boots on all round, and I am hoping all four shoes will be where they should be at 5.30pm! Keep shoes on thoughts appreciated :)

We are going to change the fields around and split up Loki and his field mate, I think he might settle better then. He has now been in since Thursday morning and is so chilled, so something must be going on in that field overnight :unsure:

Still undecided whether to try him out at night again with new pal or change him to days. Nights are so much easier for me and he gets longer out.

What type of over reach boots does Frant wear? I have some of the rubber ones but not sure whether the new type would give more protection :unsure:

I don't want to change my farrier, as he is really good, the change in Loki's feet has been amazing, I think this has more to do with Loki being upset and charging round than the shoeing, other than needing longer shoes to support the heal.

Enjoy your hack EAD :biggrin:

What type of over reach boots does Frant wear? I have some of the rubber ones but not sure whether the new type would give more protection :unsure:

I don't want to change my farrier, as he is really good, the change in Loki's feet has been amazing, I think this has more to do with Loki being upset and charging round than the shoeing, other than needing longer shoes to support the heal.

I just used normal over-reach boots (rubber) because I thought he'd probably break them in the field and it seemed like an un-necessary expense!

I think perhaps changing to him going out in the day might help, if you could manage it but I know it's not easy. If he is charging about, he's certainly more likely to pull off his shoes.

Strangely enough, the farrier I was using originally is rated as one of the best in the country. I changed (through necessity because the travelling would have cost too much when we moved here) and the new farrier is even better and much more helpful. He pointed out that Frant's front feet are different sizes (he now has different size shoes on the front) , made the shoes larger because he said they were too small - although he realised previous farrier had used them intentionally so that Frant didn't pull them off! - and it was he who recommended over-reach boots. It was desperately muddy here last summer and he kept his shoes on all the time, amazingly, so something worked!

I will be thnking 'keep your shoes on, Loki' thoughts :) Hope it works!

Thug was due to have his feet trimmed on 1st June but as he went to that yard on 27th, our farrier didn't do him. I did point his feet out and say to them he was due, I also said if he needs the vet, farrier, etc to just do it and charge me accordingly. I also told her when I'd last wormed him.

There's a board outside their yard advertising what they do, lessons, hacks, liveries, FARRIER etc but Thug's feet still need trimming :rolleyes:

:biggrin: Guess who's doing a show on sunday (and it's not me!!! :laugh: ) Chatting to girl last night and she was moaning she didn't have a horse to take into the show, so I offered the big fella!! She's going to have a go schooling him on saturday and if he behaves she's take him in the Mountain and Moorland and possibily the open class over 14.2hh as well. She watched him in the jumping school yesterday and saw that he doesn't react to the other horses so she wants to check he won't nap when asked to canter away from the group but otherwise she's happy to take him in!!

Saturday apparently I need to wash him and plait his mane and tail so it is nice a curly and fluffy!!!! :rolleyes: She thinks by having his mane in plaits on the one side over night it will stay that was for the show...hate to disillusion her but Kane's mane never ever stays where it's put!! :laugh: Will be lovely to see him doing it though, esp now I don't have to do it!!! And hopefully I'll be able to take photo's too!! :wink:

:laugh: Napping is being a naughty little bugger!! It's a term to cover alot of silly sins, mainly refusing to go forward/away from other horses, it can be as extreame as rearing and bucking or in Kane's case simply planting his feet and absolutely refusing to go forward (he does go sideways and back wards but not forwards!!!) Kane does it when asked to ride out alone, in company he's absolutely bombproof (brave as a big brave thing!!) :laugh: :wink: .

And yes they do wear boots and shoes!! :laugh: The things that protect their legs are called boots and the metal bit on the bottom of the hoof is called a shoe!! :wink:

My friends horse doesn't have shoes so if she's going on a long road ride she wears proper boots...

prod-6272.jpg