UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

:mecry: tis not brilliant news. The vet came down and says Bumbles back end problems aren't so bad but its obvious now hes dowm with laminitis as well.By the time the vet got to the yard Bumble had the typical laminitis stance and one of his front feet is showing signs of pedal bone trouble :mecry: :mecry: Hes now on complete box rest, sedative and equipalazone. I am devastated :mecry: i've kept his laminitis at bay for 2yrs and i'm so scared of losing him, pedal bone trouble has always scared the hell out of me .How he managed his bucking fit etc yesterday is a mystery! The vet says i've done nothing wrong but i still feel so bad. :(

Oh poor Bumble :GroupHug: :GroupHug: I horse at our yard was really poorly with laminitus but two weeks on she is back to normal, you have caught it early and I am sure Bumble will recover quickly :GroupHug: :flowers:

Woohoo go Jacky and Kane! :biggrin: Sounds like you are having so much more fun already :)

Thanks everyone :) i'm out of the hysterical phase of yesterday and thinking much more logically :rolleyes: Bumble is quite happy ,hes got this 'away with the fairies' look due to the sedatives and painkillers :laugh: he scared a couple of livery owners yesterday when they turned up at the yard and he was flat out sound asleep and didnt move so he now has a note on the stable explaining his dozy state . It was such a shock to find things were bad as until yesterday morning he showed no laminitic signs just the muscular stiffness in his hind quarters. We've had a fairly mild winter and the vet said the majority of their call outs are for horses with laminitis or collic due to the fact the grass seems to be so rich :(

Jacky, your new yard sounds great :)

I have felt like this :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: this afternoon :biggrin:

Two things:

1) I rode with Duke and Teddy the collie dog which has been something I've always wanted to do (ride with my dog) AND

2) I rode the 'old' Duke and it was FAB!

Teddy was brilliant, he's really surprised me with how well behaved he is and Duke was the same with him.

Duke, this was ride 3, was back to being DUKE! Back to reminding me why he had to be retired - Nuts! The first two times he was solid as a rock, ploddy even. Nice to ride but not a buzz. Today he was definitely back in form :biggrin: Got up the track and someone started shooting the other side (out of sight). He's used to bangs but that set off the Duke napping and the only gear he could find was reverse (but reverse with speed!). I had to get off him and lead him up to the pinnacle which meant being brave to re-mount from the ground on a flighty horse. Just like old times :wink: He then carried on absolutely fine apart from the old time Duke head in, jogging on the spot, willingly about to burst into a lung opening gallop whenever you wanted to ask! We jogged most of the way round but he wasn't silly and it was sooooooooo good. Shame really as because of him not recognising the pace known as 'walk' on hacks, we can't ride on the roads due to the concussion so without a school it had to be retirement. Tis lovely though whilst the tracks aren't too boggy.

He felt just like Duke :wub: . Did take some pics (mainly before the jogging, no time to stop, gear was set) so will post those later tonight. They are very exciting pics - ears, mane, neck, fields and bits of a dog :laugh:

Sarah - I :wub: :wub: Princess Tara

Duke is also fab :wub:

I'm really glad about Kane, Jackie - wtg

Hope Bumble improves quickly - laminitis is horrible. I remember a Shetland we had years ago who had laminitis - we used to stand him in buckets - literally a bucket on each leg :laugh: , bless him. He lived until he was in his thirties :)

We've had some worrying news about Finn today. Since he was denerved it's not all been plain sailing. He's often not comfortable on his feet and he lays down a lot :( Basically the vet has changed his whole shoeing regime and has said if it doesn't improve within 3 months, sadly there's not a great deal of hope :mecry: :mecry: We knew Finn had problems because he was a loss of use insurance case but had hoped that with de-nerving we could help him. It looks like that may not be the case :( Finn is a big pet here - he follows Sue around the yard and is a real star, as well as being a fantastic horse to ride. Words can't describe the loss we'll feel if we were to lose him, even though he's only been with us for just over a year.

So sorry to hear about Finn, I hope the farrier can help. :GroupHug: :GroupHug:

YEEEEAAAHHHHH Lesley!!!!!!!!! :biggrin: :biggrin: Sounds like great fun (and fairly familiar...Kane does the backwards fast trick too!!! :huh: ) I think Duke's definately glad to be back in work, you are lucky being able to ride with Teddy I've always wanted to ride with Sidney but as pretty much all my rides involve lanes or the dreaded sheep that's a no no...also the fact that Sidney thinks you have to hang off the tail of a cantering horse doesn't help either!!! :laugh:

Was lazy and didn't ride last night, I'm rather enjoying having a stable though!!! Was lovely to be able to bring him in and spend some time pampering him. YO had put some haylage in the field cos the fields are very very sparse and there is alot of horses on it at the moment (some are going soon as they belong to the hunt) but typically I walked in the field and Kane had the biggest pile to himself...guess he's well and truly settled now!! :laugh: :rolleyes:

Hopefully hacking with some of the other girls tonight, looking forward to it cos they are going to show me the 'fun' hack...not sure what that means but I'm thinking I might add a neck strap today just in case!! :laugh: :wink:

:GroupHug: for Finn. I know what you mean about the possibility of losing him, the same thing terrifies me with Bumble. Me and Bumble have a very special bond that i've never had with my other horses. Daft as it may sound we were a 'meant to be' thing, he was with other owners but as soon as i saw him i knew one day he'd be mine :) Bumble is 12.1hh welsh, i'll post some pics later today.I've had to have 2 horse put down over the years and last night made Bumble promise he wont be number3!! :rolleyes: :laugh:

Sounds like Duke had a wonderful time, some action shots would have been good though :wink: :laugh: perhaps Jacky can supply those tonight when on her 'fun' ride. :laugh:

Yay go Duke :biggrin: Looking forward to the pics :)

Sorry to hear Finn is not well, hopefully the farrier will be able to help him :GroupHug:

Sounds like you are in for a fun hack tonight Jacky :laugh:

My new RI rode Loki last night, wish I had a camera he looked fab :biggrin: She got him working really nicely and has given me the confidence that he is not hurting anywhere, and perhaps taking the piss a bit with me :rolleyes: When I got back on he felt great, so now I need to be more demanding and disciplined with myself.

She does think that the saddle is causing him some concern, as he is not as consistant in his trot as he has been in the past, I wondered if that was my riding but as she felt the same I think it is saddle related.

Called up saddlery place last night and asked to speak the boss and explained about the saddle slipping back etc, he has now said he will deal with it himself, but is so busy not sure when he can get out to us, but in the meantime I am taking the saddle to him on Saturday and he will check it over and have a chat with me. He is quite scary though!

He did say that it may be that the saddle no longer fits :huh: I told him that wasn't an option!

I can't believe he'd even suggest it needs replacing again!!!! I think it's time to get really tough with them Clare. :(

I am not very good at tough, by the time I got off the phone to him he had me wondering if I was imagianing the whole thing :rolleyes:

As my RI said I just have to remember that Loki is telling me something is not quite right so I need to stick to my guns :glare:

I am more worried about arriving and bumping into the saddler whose head I have gone over :rolleyes: :laugh: