UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

Guess who is going to be stiff and sore tomorrow? :rolleyes:

I've not ridden for ages, but this afternoon had Merlyn groomed and tacked up for a friend to take out but she couldn't make it so, being as it was a nice afternoon, my back didn't feel too bad, and Merlyn seemed in a laidback contented mood, I decided to put things to the test. :biggrin:

I was right about Merlyn's mood. He behaved 90% impeccably! Just a bit lazy if not kept up to the bridle, which, of course, meant using my seat rather more than I'd have liked! Now I can't find my heat pad to try and settle that down again! :laugh:

I wondered how Bronnie would react to being left on her own, even though there are horses on the next yard to talk to, so left her with a full haynet, and didn't intend to be out long. I was longer than anticipated, as I met several people whilst out and got chatting, but needn't have worried. I don't think Bronnie noticed Merlyn wasn't around, unless insofaras that she had the whole giant sized haynet to herself and made the most of it! For a little un, she can sure tuck it away!

Finally managed to pick Bronnie's forelegs up today without her performing her little tap dance! Hope to goodness I can bend down enough tomorrow to do it again, as I need to get the blacksmith out to Merlyn soon, and hope he can take a look at Bronnie's too, and perhaps just rasp a few rough edges. She doesn't really need trimming, but simply having the smith take a look each time he comes is all good education for her.

Talking of her education, a friend was detecting metal in the field today, and I am happy to report that didn't worry her at all. :wink:

Ooooo, stiff muscles, I know all about that one! :biggrin:

Well Wanda is still slightly pale and interesting, her last blood test showed that her red cell count is still down, her heamaglobin and white cell count are fine and super vet Mike says it's just time now, he will test her again in two weeks. She can do some trot work now but nothing excessive and hasn't to sweat up. That's a bit hard as she is a hairy mammoth, I must clip her. She had another slight nose bleed yesterday, it's always just one nostril and is because she is a high blower and has ruptured a tiny blood vessel before so it's a bit weaker. It should improve as she gets fitter I am told.

I keep getting told not to worry, she'll be fine, you're a fussy mum etc, etc, but this is what I was told about Dobbin and I lost her. I can't help worrying that there is something sinister going on with Wanda, I have to admit I'm not that impressed with how she looks, I took the rug off one of the livery horses last night and she positively glows and she doesn't wear a night rug. Wanda is, well dull looking, it could just be that she has a lot of coat but it's just another worry! :unsure:

If the vet has ruled out anything serious going on with Wanda relating to her bleeds, I wouldn't worry. Worrying only gets one stressed and achieves nothing constructive anyway. :flowers:

As for her coat appearing dull, surely that is as much down to the time of year and winter coats coming in? My pair are out and not rugged, and both have quite dull coats, with them still shedding summer coats as their winter ones take over.

If you really want something practical to do, so that you feel that you are at least doing something, why not add some 'Mirracoat' to Wanda's feed?

http://www.vet-medic.com/Product_Info.aspx?pCode=MIRR4 - I have used that for horses and dogs and it brings out the shine and even dapples on Merlyn, and will turn a wire-haired dog into a soft-coated, fluffy one! :biggrin:

Edited by AlTRPD

Oh now I can update!! Silly puta wasn't working this morning. :biggrin:

Okay...can't believe you've kept those 2 beautiful horses to yourself Lular!!!!! :wub: :wub: :wub: That's what Kane was supposed to look like!!! :huh:

Hope Wanda is okay. Must be horrible waiting. :GroupHug:

Al hope you are not too sore! I only hacked out on saturday, all was going well until the silly foal at the end of the road decided to make Danny spook which of course made Kane stand on 2 hooves and do a dance in front of an oil delivery truck!!! :huh: Driver looked a tad shocked...I found it rather funny!!! :laugh:

Did some schooling yesterday but he wasn't that keen and I wasn't in the mood either so just plodded for a bit and then had a few silly minutes in the big field.

Had some bad news. Barney foal is having to go to the vets for some examinations. Not only has he failed to drop both balls and it's looking like he will have to go on to have that operated on (or be left as a rig which we arn't keen on because of the cancer risks) and also the vet has a suspicion he has either sinisitus (sp) or something more sinister. :( I can't remember the name of the sinister thing, but it involves a major operation that will cost £1000's!!! Poor Lynn is very upset because the little fella is such a sweet soul and the vet said that she should consider having him PTS because the operation cost outways his worth!!! :( Although luckily that's not the way Lynn thinks and I'm pretty such whatever is needed to make him healthy will be done.

poor Barney, hoping his exams show nothing sinister.

Lular, your horses are stunning.

Hoping Wanda picks up and stops worrying her mum :flowers:

Well, the show went really well.

We got a 3rd in the stallion class, and I know thats because Nookie was a bit sore on his feet as the farrier did his hooves last week and they were quite short so didnt move as well as he could, and also the judge spotted a bit of mud fever on his back legs, we had only brought him on from the mares on saturday so we were pleased - the winner was stunning and was obviously shown alot, Nookie hasnt been shown for about 5 years.

Also I showed our little coloured yearling, Mustang Sally. She was great and got a 4th in the yearling class, but had a lovely day out and seemed to enjoy herself.

The judge wasnt looking for as much colour as we had on offer (his winning stallion was pure white) so we were happy.

nookieshow2-1.jpg

Stables manager asked me to ride the new club horse yesterday as she wants me to ride him in my lesson on Tuesday. He is a big (170cm) German Warmblood dressage trained called Rubin. Well I could hardly turn her down could I????

He is amazing. We were warming up in walk and Susie told me a few things to do, and before I knew it we were doing half pass across the school.

Now I am enjoying having Abi, but Rubin is really the kind of horse I want :wub: :wub: I will try to get pics of him soon.

Roll on Tuesday!!!!!!!!

Lular, your horses are stunning :biggrin: how do you keep their feathers so nice? I am currently having the feathers on:feathers off debate with myself! :rolleyes:

Poor Wands - it must be such a worry for you. There are times when I worry about Nemo not beign himself, so I knwo how you feel, but he normally sorts himself out in the end. :biggrin:

Hope you are not too stiff after your outing on Merlyn

Jacky, think your collywobbles have well and truly been consigned to the bin - laughing at a rear!!! :laugh:

Well done Freya - you look very smart.

And enjoy Tuesday Angel!

Think that is everyone!!

Not a lot happening here - lunging again as I am not convinced about the peculiar saddle.

I sent my letter of complaint off about the other one last week - just keep everythign crossed that they will do the decent thing. Am thinking of trialling a Heather Moffett Fhoenix - a lot of people seem to swear by them, but I need my money back on the other one :mellow:

Hello :wavey:

You have all been far too busy for me to remember what to say to each of you, but :biggrin: to all those having much fun and :GroupHug: :flowers: for horseys feeling under the weather.

Loving all the pics :wub:

I had a lovely holiday but came back to a lame horse with a very upset tummy :wacko:

The lameness is a bit odd, only apparant when he has been in, and within four strides it has gone, on Sunday his hind legs were very swollen, but that has reduced now.

They were wormed on Friday and stayed in from that morning until Sunday night, so thinking it may be connected, he looked sound playing in the field, so I am going to start long reining him tomorrow and see what happens. Agghhh horses :rolleyes:

Bowen / saddler came out yesterday measured him up and I should be getting this saddle in two weeks Working Hunter Saddle chose the working hunter type as the stirrup bars are set a little further back than the GP and should help my leg position, but still ok to use for jumping :biggrin:

Had the photos back from the dressage :biggrin:

Dressage.JPG

Prize%20Giving.JPG