UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

Hello :wavey:

chose the working hunter type as the stirrup bars are set a little further back than the GP and should help my leg position, but still ok to use for jumping :biggrin:

Good to see you back and glad that you had a good holiday - not so good that Loki has an upset tum, but I am sure it will settle soon - Nemo gets the squits after a certain brand of wormer. Maybe the legs thing is diet related? :mellow:

I went for working hunter for Rolo too - seems to be a really nice alternative to a GP - good luck with it - hope you have a better time of it than me! :biggrin:

I am currently cursing the unreliability of horsey persons - farrier has dissappeared off the face of the earth, and saddle woman was meant to ring Friday or yesterday and have not heard a dickie bird. :rolleyes:

I am sure the equestrian industry must be the only one where poor service is accepted as standard!

Blimey Clare that rossett is huge!!!! Kane would of been off down the ring with that on his face!!! :laugh: :laugh:

New saddle looks lovely, lets just hope that it fits!! I might have a problem with mine now!! My friend thinks its a tad too tight on him, and I'm reluctant to admit I think it might be!!! :( I was silly and bought an extra wide and it was the same measurements as his old one but I do think he needs extra extra!!! Oh well at least I know I'll get my moneys worth from this one cos it's still brand new and they do seem to hold it's price!! Tottles off to ebay!!! :laugh:

I watched the short video. Whilst it was in no way pleasant, I have to say I am in two minds about this. It looked quite quick and efficient. In my mind, there are worse things than a relatively quick death, and here in Europe we have worse things going on, where horses are loaded, or should I say stuffed, into big cattle transporters and shipped all the way down through Europe ALIVE for the meat market in Italy. They travel for up t0 30 hours with no food and water, collapsing from exhaust and being trampled to death by the other horses.

I don't actually have a problem with people eating horse meat as and I am a meat eater myself, although have never tasted horse meat and don't have a huge desire to do so. It is the way they are treated prior to death that counts for me.

I know that in Denmark, if you chose to have your horse slaughtered (some people just have to earn that last bit of cash don't they), some butchers will kill the horse at the stable and transport it dead, which must be prefered to a journey to an abbatoir anytime.

Personally I would never have a horse of mine slaughtered, I have to point this out! I know of one person who chose to have a horse slaughtered and I did not agree with it. All other deaths of horses I have come across (quite a few by now) have been pts situations, with needles like they do with dogs.

Sorry for waffling a bit, I will probably come back to this with some more points later.

Sickening.

Sobering reading for all us horse owners and horse lovers. And exactly the reason why Kane will live his WHOLE life in my care no matter what happens to me or him. :mecry: :mecry:

How sad, I would love to own any of those animals, just being able to stroke one of them would make my day.

What upsets me is not that fact they are used for meat, it's the fact that these possibly were once much loved and cherished animals, that when they found themselves surplus to requirements either by the owner out growing them, being unable to afford to keep them or the horse getting too old for the job required, passed from pillar to post they could eventually be sent to their death like this. To me owning a horse is a life time committment (sp) even if the day comes I can no longer ride or Kanes health means he takes early retirement, I will remain responsible for his life and welfare. And when the day comes that he has to leave me it will be with dignity and care, not terrified and alone. The thought that my first pony as a child could of ended up this way because I no longer wanted her absolutely tears me apart, as a kid I didn't understand but as an adult I will do whatever is required to ensure I don't send any other horse of mine to this fate.

I had a conversation with Lynn last night about the fate of Barney, he's going in for tests next week to see if he has guttural pouch tympany (remembered what the vet has said he thought it might be!!)...even though this pony cost £30 and is in the horsey world worthless, she has said he will have whatever is required to make his life better no matter what the cost. The insurance company has already said they won't pay for the operation because he's not worth it. :mecry:

Sickening.

Sobering reading for all us horse owners and horse lovers. And exactly the reason why Kane will live his WHOLE life in my care no matter what happens to me or him. :mecry: :mecry:

I did the BBC2 radio phone in on this.

Potters were using emotive words by saying people wanted to know what happened to thier horse.

It was pointed out to them that it was entirely feasible for people to know what happened to thier horse by the fact it was with a good sanctuary who monitered its well being by means of a legally binding loan contract.

I also saw ALL the videos and its stomach churning in the truest sense.

If someone is that desperate for a bit of death cash then maybe they should do the horse a favour and not buy it in the first place. Any horse that NEEDS PTS can be dispatch by a vet or slaughterman at its home which is the very least you owe a horse.

Section D x labrador/dragon/thoroughbred/collie

Ah well you are scrued then

Ah well you are scrued then

Cheers!!! :rolleyes:

:biglaugh:

Actually,he's got a huge shock coming to him, I'm currently waiting on some money coming back to me from my car insurance and then my big boy is off into the big wild world to a yard down the road to be brought on :devil:

Make that two shocks, as I intend to leave my domineering, demanding, nosey, manupulative sister completely in the dark over it too :biggrin:

At present she wants to know why, where, with whom, how long etc and originally was demanding to break him in (she's also frightened stiff of him and one reason why he is as norty as he is) even though she's only ever ridden her 12.2hh.

All being well, I should get away with springing bail on my Section A a few weeks later and then I will bl**dy well fly the flags cos I'm sick of sharing a yard with her ( even if it was my yard first). Mum finally admitted the other week that she's sure she has OCD. I can't f*rt up there without her ringing or texting non-stop to find out if it was me and she has the place better secured than fort knox - the entrance gate now has a further gate a foot behind it, both padlocked :mad:

And they're not to stop people entering, they're to stop me from taking my horses elsewhere :ohmy:

Oh gawd I have finally gone and found another farrier. Came back from holiday to see my farrier had reverted back to shoeing him long and low after getting his act together last time. After dropping some names I have been very lucky and found what sounds like a fantastic farrier, he shoes one on the yard now, he is extremly expensive :ohmy: but it will be worth it, he has just come 10th in the farrier world champs, article here

I still don't know how to let my currently farrier down :unsure: I is a big scaredy cat :mecry: Other people have trouble getting farriers to arrive, I don't know how to get rid of mine :rolleyes: Anyone like to draft me a text I can send :D

I still don't know how to let my currently farrier down :unsure: I is a big scaredy cat :mecry: Other people have trouble getting farriers to arrive, I don't know how to get rid of mine :rolleyes: Anyone like to draft me a text I can send :D

:biggrin: My text to John....'Don't bother coming on wednesday to do the horses at Dronwy. I think you know why.'

His response....'okay'!! :rolleyes:

I know what you mean about the money but it's so important that it has to be done!

Got a message from my farrier today - just to let me know that he will be doing Rolo a week Saturday - result :) , and that he would do Nemo then too. Marvellous - he was meant to do Nemo 5 weeks ago when he did Rolo, but has a wedding to go to so did not have time - promised me he would be back later that week. :dry: Nemo's feet were fallign to bits, so ended up getting another farrier to do them. Honestly, did he really think that nemo would not need his feet trimming in 3 months? :laugh:

Farriers!!

Well, some good news from me at last - I rode Rolo in the school last night - not for long as he has a bit of a saddle phobia at the mo, so am only doing 15 to 20 mins of light work - just so that he gets the idea that saddles do not have to hurt. We literally just mooched around, walk, trot & halt transitions - nothing exciting. :rolleyes: It was a beautiful evening and it suddenly dawned on me that, for the first time since my last fall, I was actually relaxed and happy to ride. :) I had not really noticed how worried I had become, until I realised how calm I was yesterday, if that makes sense :laugh: TBH, I think it is going to be a long old road, but at least I am starting to get there.

Not heard a dickebird about my saddle :angry:

Am thinking of buying a Barefoot treeless in the short term - Jacky did you not have one at one point?

They seem to hold their value, so it would seem tobe a good way of getting out and about, whilst not committing myself to another hideously expensive saddle.

I am having someone out to demonstrate/trial the Heather Moffet Fhoenix saddle at some point too

No one can accuse me of not putting the effort in to this damn saddle finding business!! :rolleyes:

Am thinking of buying a Barefoot treeless in the short term - Jacky did you not have one at one point?

Brilliant news about the riding!! It's funny isn't it, one day you realise you'd forgotten to be scared!!! I did it the other week, months of being terrified while getting on...had to dismount quickly while out hacking to save a trapped sheep...and had popped back on before my friend could say 'do you need me to hold him?'!!!! :laugh: :laugh: Rode for 5 minutes before she realised I'd got on alone!!

Yes ...well sort of yes I do have a treeless but not a barefoot. Although my friend Liz has the barefoot and has had hers for 3 or 4 years and rides daily in it, she couldn't recommend them highly enough! I love my treeless and aside from jumping I'd use it all the time except for some reason it makes my knees hurt!!!! :huh: Must be because the position is slightly different but if I ride for longer than an hour I get achey knees!! I have 2 friends who ride treeless and they both love them, Kane goes extreamly well in his...plus I've ridden Danny and Minty in the same saddle so it's great cos it fits most horses!! They are not a cheap option cos the things that go with them all add up but well worth it. I'll never sell mine because it's a great 'spare' cos you know you'll never have trouble with it not fitting no matter what shape your horse has gone!!! :wink:

Bradders I would send another letter expressing concern you haven't heard from them and asking for a written reply within 7 days, also attach a copy of your original letter and send it Recorded Delivery (when the posties decide to work again that it :rolleyes: ) You need to make them realise you mean business :flowers:

Will be interested to hear how you get on with the treeless, I am not really in a position to comment as never ridden in one, but from what I have heard from some people that have tried them, they don't feel as secure in them as they can slip, but I think Jacky loves her's so may be a case of try one and see :)

Glad to hear you and Rolo are getting over your blip :flowers: I know exactly what you mean about not realising how worried you were about riding until you didn't feel it, that was exactly how I felt from riding my mare to getting Loki, it is a lovely realisation isn't it :biggrin:

I have been playing with long-reining this week, Loki has become a bit of a pro :wub: which is more than can be said for me, good job he is so tolerant. It makes me realise how much I do use my body when riding, I keep walking him into fences wondering why he didn't read my mind I wanted to turn one way or the other :laugh:

Looking forward to taking him out in hand this weekend, weather is supposed to be lovely, I see some long walks up into the forest for us :biggrin:

Still haven't text my farrier yet :blush02: