UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

Wow Phoenix sounds amazing! Think you've fallen lucky sharing her!

Brilliant picture of Obe! Its my dream to get a photo of me and Kane going over a XC jump!!

Didn't hack sunday cos did a car boot. But went out friday evening and saturday. Friday was lovely just went to the first beach with Lynn leading Indy! Indy had to lead cos Kane was being a wimp!! 14 month old leading a 7 year old!!! :rolleyes:

Anyway saturday!!! Helen's friend was going over with her horse! Turns up (wasn't very friendly in the first place...didn't even say hello and looked Kane up and down!!! :angry: ) so unloads this 17hh thing! Turns into a bucking bronco as soon as it's hooves hit the ground! Then out comes her new boyfriends daughter around 12 years old with her cute pony!! She hadn't said the kid was coming and theres her with this horse that apparently has only been hacked out twice before!!! :rolleyes: She spent 10 minutes sitting bucks and rears, then we all try and walk down the drive! The little girl screams that she's not riding behind the bucking horse! So at that point I turned round and said forget it!

I have enough trouble with Kane, I really don't need to make him wound up on purpose with some idiot woman who quiet obviously has a horse for show and not for riding! The kid was hacking out with this un-safe horse without a body protector on and no hi-vis gear! Lynn turned back with me and said me and her would go on another ride! I was furious with Helen for not telling us this horse was so young and inexperienced, right now I need Kane to be unfazed by new horses not wound up!!! I'm glad we didn't go, apparently they trotted the whole ride (around 8 miles!!) and it was very hot and Kane isn't fit enough for that! Instead me and Lynn went on a lovely ride, had a brill gallop through a stream and up a mile long track then had some silly canters on the fields at home.

Yay well done Bopp :wub: :partytime:

Sounds like you have found a fantastic share Phoenix :biggrin:

Oh Jacky sounds like you and Lynn took a very wise decision not to hack with those people :ohmy:

Really missing riding :( Counting down to Sunday and hoping saddler keeps to his word! Had two lovely walks out in the forest this weekend though, Loki was beautifully behaved :wub:

Bobbysmum hasn't posted for a while, hope all is ok :unsure:

Has anyne bought or sold their saddle through ebay? I really need to get some money for mine at the moment it is sitting at the local tack shop to be sold, I am slightly put off trying on ebay as wondering how you post a saddle to someone :mellow:

Has anyne bought or sold their saddle through ebay? I really need to get some money for mine at the moment it is sitting at the local tack shop to be sold, I am slightly put off trying on ebay as wondering how you post a saddle to someone :mellow:

Yeap bought and sold 4 saddles...and looks like will be selling the new one cos it DON'T FIT!!!! :angry: :angry:

Dead easy to post, just find a really big box, pad it with scrunched up news paper and send it parcel post! Cost me around £13 to send mine.

Actually rode him in his treeless again this weekend cos you lot had reminded me about it!! I actually think it's the stirrups that make my knees hurt (they are the half bent one's and I've struggled with them before on a 'normal' saddle) so I'm going to try and buy some of those one's that face the front..oh like these! Has anyone tried them?

37028-01.jpg

Yes - several times!!! :rolleyes: The worst thing is getting a decent box, but you should be able to buy one from one of those storage places. :) If you use Paypal, you can weigh the package at home, print off your own Parcel Force label and either drop it of at your local depot or arrange to have it picked up. It is dead easy! I also had one that I sold for a friend where the lady just dove over and picked it up.

The only problem I have found with Ebay is that people are not prepared tp pay what the saddle is worth - especially leather ones, the synthetics don't seem to suffer as much.

Jacky - think you made a very wise decision there - although I am not sure that the gallopping through the stream bit would have appealed to me!! :laugh:

Well done Bopp

Phoenix - she sounds lovely :) (I never, ever ride without a Hi-Viz tabard on - even at the height of Summer - it is second nature now :) )

I was wondering about Bobby's Mum too.

We are still saddle less :laugh: I had an extremely forward going pony yesterday morning - we have changed to the winter routine of in overnight - all his friends had gone put by the time I got up there and he was clearly of the opinion that he should be out too! :)

I'm putting my Australian Stock Saddle in the Refuge Auction, so keep an eye out for it!!

I've sold saddles on ebay and its all down to timing! I sold my Stubben and got £350 which I was really pleased with. I'm debating selling my Albion GP, as I could do with the money.

Umm 18 would be too long for Kane's short back, or is it like the treeless saddles? My treeless is 18in in the seat but the size on the horse is 17. :unsure:

Just been offered a acre field about 200 meters from my house. Only £150 for the year...not sure if I should take it just for the dogs over winter and then I can decide next summer if I can have Kane near home for a month or so. I'm sure my friend up the road will pop her mare in with him cos she's always alone now but he's shared with her before. Seems silly for £150 to turn it down. :unsure:

Edited by JACKYSIAN

I would love a field, and £150 is a great deal :biggrin:

Well I did think I could shove some jumps up for the dogs to do over the winter, just to give them more exercise (my garden is a postage stamp!!) and Tiz does love her agility! It's too small to put Kane on full time (and I know it gets quiet boggy) but it would be nice to have him near home for a bit.

Hi everyone. Sorry havent been about. Have been busy packing off both my kids to uni. One went last weekend and one yesterday so I am now suffering empty nest syndrome. guess I will just have to get used to it. Have only had Dexter one day this week as was taking son to Uni (a 500 mile round trip) and 2 days previous week as taking daughter to uni.

Mixed news on the Dexter front as always!!!! He was sedated by the vet for clipping a week last Thursday. he was also checked over and given Maxitrol for a swollen eye. (although owner didnt leave me any instructions, had to phone her to find out what was going on) He has also been on ventipulmin for a week as he was a bit out of breath. The vet hadnt prescribed this on the last visit but was left over from Spring 06 so owner thought it might help. :wacko:

So Dexter is now living in at night and out in the day. This has really screwed up my routine as she had told me he lives out all year with rugs.

Had a close call hacking last Friday. Walking up a quiet single track country lane with passing places. Met a strongbow lorry coming the other way. Lorry stopped and switched off engine. Dexter decided that he wasnt going by. there was a steep (almost vertical) bank on our left hand side. Dexter spun left, sort of reared and got his front feet on the bank. Caroline was shouting to get him off as she was worried he would go over backwards if he tried to get up the bank. So turned him 90 degrees left again so he had his back to the lorry. then turned him to face lorry. Caroline said she would go first but her horse had other ideas too. So turned Dexter round and got him to walk past at second attempt. Didnt worry me at the time and the rest of the hack was lovely. Thinking back though its made me a bit worried.

Had spoken to owner last Friday morning and she said he was fine and there had been no problems but Caroline told me he had fallen on the road last week. Went down on his knees when he lost his footing. Also he had a right epi fit about a woman pushing a pram. so much so that she had to get off. Am concerned that I am not told about these things from the owner and am finding out from other yard members especially if they could affect my safety.

Great to catch up on everyones news.

My friend has just brought a treeless saddle off ebay so awaiting delivery.

Edited by bobbysmum

Oh dear Bobbysmum what a scary incident! Please please think about your safety, Dexter does look a lovely boy but there seem to be more and more issues appearing that you haven't been told about and some of them are potentially dangerous to you both. :unsure: As doggie mum said, you haven't been told the truth and that's on more than one occasion, you're supposed to be having fun with him and I really don't think you are, to be blunt, is it time to walk away and look for another horse?