UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

I've done up to my stage 3 and PTT (basic instuctor qualification) and the stage 1 is really easy - assuming you are used to doing stuff the BHS way (which I wasn't - and still don't) It is probs worth getting the BHS book for Stage 1 to have a read through cos some of their methods are really old fashioned and probably different from what you do normally. The riding bit is very straight forward and was very forgiving when I did it (it could have changed though cos that was about 7 years ago)

Good luck with it - and I think you are right to get the Stage 1 rather than the trek leader, Imight not think much of the BHS but at least it is well known and recognised.

I've done upto stage 3...found it very hard cos I was never taught the BHS way (I was taught the get on, hold on and pray way!!! :laugh: ). I struggled cos my thoughts on horse ownership are as natural as possible and alot of the BHS stuff went against my views. Took me a few weeks to realise I had to just shut up and do it, bit like the driving test, you are taught to pass but once you have you don't have to drive that way forever!!! :laugh:

I did my stage 3 last year and found the riding bit harder than the theory tbh, but I'm a messy rider and as I wasn't allowed to do the test on Kane I found the horse I did it on was just too different to him so my brain couldn't get into gear!!!

Do them though, well worth it!!!! :flowers:

Thanks for that - better late than never to start - not too worried about my riding but think ill have to read up on horse care and ive never done lunging - bandaging is left to be desired as well - we used to have to use bandages on the lesson horses that i rode in america and always had to ask for help mine were awful!!!

I did my 1 and 2 at college 10 years ago. But I'm hoping to do my 3 if I can find somewhere that train out of work hours. You can get books that specifically cover what you need to know for your stages. But the do you into more detail that you need. Is there someone there that can show you how to lunge? At stage 1 you only have to do very basic lunging and the horses should be well trained so it should be straight forward. I would borrow some bandages and just have a practice of all the bits your not up to scratch on. I have my riding instructor who is going to show me the practical bits I'm not that good on for the 3 like fitting double bridles.

Though I would update with some more pictures of my 2 now I've actually remembered to take the camera with me.

Minski

P1260019.jpg

Kai

P1260024.jpg

P1260023.jpg

Doing her best impression of a donkey

P1260027.jpg

Loki has been at the new yard for a week now and I think I can safely say it was the right thing to do :) He seem chilled and happy again. The routine and being on a more busy yard really does seem to suit him. I may be imagining it, but his face seems to have softened and changed :unsure:

He went out on Monday with his his new field mates and all seems to have gone well, he has paired up with the flightly trouble maker :rolleyes: but he certainly comes in tired, I think they play alot :laugh:

I hacked out this morning with OH on foot and Loki was such a good boy, we joined up with another horse whilst out, someone I hadn't seen in years, that is the horsey world! Then they went off their way and we went ours and he didn't mind at all, then we saw a couple of scramblers who were kind enough to slow down but still first time he has seen them he was a good boy :biggrin:

I even remembered my camera, so here we go ......

Ready for the off, I think he has dropped a bit of weight so have upped his grub

DSCN0961.JPG

On our way home from a lovely hack, not that you would know it from my face :laugh:

DSCN0958.JPG

Rolling in the muddiest part of the field

DSCN0962.JPG

The evidence

DSCN0966.JPG

Hanging with his new friends

DSCN0965.JPG

and a little video clip

I didn't realise Kai was that big! Lovely photos of her and Minski :)

Great update Clare, Loki is looking fabulous! :wub: I think he looks fitter and happier too, I can't wait to see summer photos of him, very different from the horse you first posted photos of. Very glad that the move has gone well and that you are out of the other yard, it didn't sound very pleasant for either of you.

Edited by Fenrir

:laugh: :laugh:

Loki looks fantastic Clare - and so pleased that the new yard is working so well for both of you :)

Rolo and I have had a bit of a troubled weekend - entirely my fault not his - am having a real crisis of confidence in the school - possibly cos I have not been in there on him much, as I tend to hack him out at weekends. He is not helping matters by being a complete monkey to mount.

We had what could have been a major hiccup today, but it turned out alright in the end - long story but during the messing about whilst mounting saga, I lost him! He went galloping and buckign around the school and I thought that I would never catch him again! He then stopped and let me walk up to him - give him a big scratch and lead him back. When I did get on someone led his field mate past the school - that upset him, which upset me, but with a little moral support from my friend we got through it and went on to have quite a nice little pootle in walk and trot - am goign to have to force myself to do this more often - even if it is at the start or end of a hack as I have clearly developed quite a thign about the school. Oh to be full of self belief!! :biggrin:

some of our horses were very high in spirits today as well galloping and bucking round the field :rolleyes: bless little rolo in the pics it looks like butter wouldnt melt :laugh: :wub: Give me hacking to going in the school any day as well.

Was lazy today and jumped on maggie (in one of the previous pics) with a head coller and leadrope and her in her rug to go and do the gate into the field. was ok until nigel decided to trot along up her bum and i soon realised i didnt actually have a whole lot of control with just a lead rope - but managed to loop it round the other side of headcollar when she had decided to stop trotting :rolleyes:

earlier in the day one of the horses, micky, who was having a day off decided it would be fun to gallop round and jump out of the field and down to the beginners ride :ohmy: someone luckly managed to get hold of him before he caused too much carnage :rolleyes:

Edited by phoenix21