UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

Well done on making the move Clare :flowers: How is Loki's stomach problem doing?

His tummy problems are better at the moment thanks for asking :flowers: I have stopped soaking his hay, although both vets said this wouldn't make a difference but I thought less liquid in less out :laugh: and I have started him on another supplement called Protexin Acti Premium (and it is!) started these two weeks ago and so far he has been better than he has in ages :) I guess time will tell if I have cracked it or not.

Good luck with the move Clare - not too far from me so once you and Loki are competing on a regular basis you will have to let me know and I can come and cheer you on! :)

:biglaugh: Pencil me in for about five years time :biggrin:

Thanks for all your good wishes :flowers: I sure there will be plenty of wibbling between now and the dreaded day :rolleyes:

I know I see him a lot but, there have not been any Kane :wub: :wub: pictures for ages

Can I second that one? Loki and Rolo need some guidelines for what they are aiming for.

Cueva seems to be strangely missing from this thread too and Nott of course. :mecry:

Can I second that one? Loki and Rolo need some guidelines for what they are aiming for.

Cueva seems to be strangely missing from this thread too and Nott of course. :mecry:

I promise..once it stops raining I will!! He is actually looking amazing at the moment, he's lost weight (first time ever in winter for him!!) and because he's been rugged ...not my choice but as he's moved fields they are not as sheltered as mine were and with this blummin rain!!!

Yes definately need a Nott picture! :wub: :wub: And Cueva of course...but Nott is one of my favourites (who am I kidding they are all my favourites...I'd have any of them given the chance!!! :laugh: )

Ummm Aahhhhh Well..........

I am afraid Cueva and I have NOT been having a good time recently, I seem to have joined the ranks of Clare and Bradders with horses showing their other side.

She has been the boingy, bad mannered horse from hell, although she can do the most impressive levade in-hand (and it was a levade rather than a full up rear, Bless - but I have seen other Iberians use this as an evasion).

As a result I had a long hard think and thankfully found an Enlightened Equitation trainer/teacher called Nick Dutton who is able to help me re-start Cueva. We are doing the whole lunge, long rein, work in hand thing along with some targeted clicker training. Then we will start the riding thing...

Had it not been for my recent Portuguese experience where I found out I can ride properly and am not too bad, then I would probably have chucked in the towel and sold her.

Nott of course is still as perfect as ever :wub: she is my calm tranquil oasis after the tumult of Cueva.

Photos soonest - I am off to Barcelona in the morning.

PS Cueva's new found spooky-dooky hyperness seemed to coincide with the increase in haylage, she has grown upwards and outwards and has matured. :worried_anim:

Most young horses will test the limits from time to time. Now that you have found good prefessional help, I am sure you will be fine :)

It is always good to have someone point out things you may not be aware of, and guide you in the right direction. This time of years does seem to make most horses go a bit OTT with their behaviour as well tbh,m there ain't really a lot else to do in this sh*t weather, than to create your own fun, is there :rolleyes: (well that is Ivans theory anyway :happy: )

:GroupHug: So sorry you are having a hard time Alison. You are definately getting some great help though! Wish I had access to that sort of support...round here it's very traditional in it's views on horse ownership and training! I've managed to book some lessons (if it ever stops raining long enough for our schooling field to dry out) but that's about it! Unless you have the most bombproof, solid and sensible horse (and lets face it damn right boring) you are always going to experience new problems...I just look at it as the next lesson for us both and just grin and bare it! Kane is my one true love and nothing he will do will make that change. :wub:

I'd still love another Nott picture though! :wink: :flowers:

I might know more after next weekend, when my boss' German instructor is doing a clinic (?) up at there place, and he will see him ridden (not by me), and help them decide if it is worth the risk of putting in all the hard work to educate him.

ok, so yesterday my boss says:

"Anne, tomorrow you will ride Ivan, just for 15 minutes, so Christoff can see him".

Me: :mellow:

She quickly said, "he will be looking at the horse, not you, I know you don't like riding when people are watching, but Ivan is working so well for you, so I think it is best that he sees him with you first, then Laila can ride him saturday".

Me: :mellow:

Ok, so today I had to ride in front of this really pro German dressage trainer, wearing track buttoms with paint stains, half chaps that turn around cos the strap under one foot is missing, my helmet from the racetrack (complete with 2-colour cover) and a jump-saddle... and was I nervous? I was nearly shaking :laugh: ... I have one talent though, I can be so nervous and scared, but you can't actually really tell by just looking at me (when I am riding that is) I can keep a nice soft, still hand etc, but could Ivan feel it? Yes :mellow: and he was so fresh, and did lots of little spooks, and then in the canter (where he normally is a bit lazy and really needs riding), he would make little half-hearted attempts at taking off, or bucking, thankfully nothing too bad. Then I was trotting around, and he flicked around, half reared, but surprised himself, so sat down instead and then just stood.. this was when we decided that none of us were really gaining anything useful from it, and the 15 minutes were up :laugh:

Apparently the trainer praised me to my boss, so that was really nice :)

As a result I had a long hard think and thankfully found an Enlightened Equitation trainer/teacher called Nick Dutton who is able to help me re-start Cueva. We are doing the whole lunge, long rein, work in hand thing along with some targeted clicker training. Then we will start the riding thing...

Great news :flowers:

So glad you have got help Alison _ there is no way I could cope with my baby without Sarah. She works him twice a week and is accompanying us out on hacks at the moment - more to reassure me than anything else. :rolleyes: She is my comfort blanket!

Sounds like you had a fun time on Ivan :laugh:

Rolo continues to test what he can get away with :) We hacked out today and he was really good - led quite a lot of the way through some really spooky places, and only one minor spook :) But we were having a final trot on the way home and I wanted to come back to walk as I wanted him to cool down before we got home. He was having none of it! :laugh: We got there in the end!