UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

Well, Blue's definitely not right :( Had to stop my lesson again tonight as he just wasn't happy trotting on the left rein. When I asked him to trot, he threw his head in the air and looked as far to the outside as he could. He's not lame, just a bit short through his left shoulder. Am keeping everything crossed that Zoe can find something to explain his behaviour on Tuesday, otherwise I'll have to get the vet out :(

Poor blue, hope you get it sorted!

Milo went out perfectly well behaved this morning so he went in the field for the afternoon with the others and he was fine! So hopefully by Monday I can leave him out all day.

I'm getting a bit depressed about the fact hes still broken, i guess everyone goes through this? I trotted him up today and he's still lame, I guess it must take a while for the drugs to kick in but I still keep thinking the worst :cry: I don't know what id do with him...

Hope your McT lady sorts Blue out tomorrow :flowers:

Glad Milo has settled down and is enjoying his freedom again. Having a poorly horse with an uncertain outcome is very depressing :GroupHug: But I'm sure Milo will come right it might just take some time to find out what will get him there :flowers: Have you looked into any other therapies that you could try along side the veterinary treatment such as herbs or supplement type things?

I can't believe my first BE event is less than a week away, I feel so sick already I can't imagine what I am going to be like on the day, probably something like this :sick02: :laughingsmiley:

I fence judged at a hunter trials yesterday which was fun, thankfully in the first class everyone cleared our fence, in the next class we had the haycart which did cause some problems, luckily only one person fell off and she was fine

Thanks PW, hope you are well :flowers: he seems to slowly be coming right, had my physio out for him yesterday just as a routine check and he said he's in tip top shape :) just got to wait until next Wednesday for vet to see him again..

Gooster, any news on blue?

Clare I bet you're nervous :laugh: good luck, have a great time! We want pics!!!

Well the McT visit didn't go quite as I'd hoped. She had us walking and trotting in hand, as well as backing up and small circles. She gave him a good check and looked at his saddle fit too. She can't find any major areas of soreness anywhere that will explain his behaviour. He did seem a bit sore on his tummy, which would explain his grumpiness when girthed up. She is going to speak to my farrier once he has shod him on Thursday and get his opinion. In the meantime we have exercises to do to see if that helps.

So not really sure where to go from here. I might try his shaped girth to see if that makes any difference, once he has had a few days of stretches and his feet done.

I just wish she had said that he was sore somewhere and that was why he was behaving as he is, but unfortunately it's not as easy as that :( :rolleyes:

How strange, hope whatever is bothering Blue settles soon :flowers:

Starting to hear rumours of a strangles outbreak in our area, hope yards are being sensible, there was mention of people from yards with it still going out hacking and competing :angry:

How strange, hope whatever is bothering Blue settles soon :flowers:

Starting to hear rumours of a strangles outbreak in our area, hope yards are being sensible, there was mention of people from yards with it still going out hacking and competing :angry:

People just dont think its a serious problem..... they would if they had to spend a fortnight in an isolation yard washing great sucking holes in horses necks....grim wasnt the word.....blimey I have done some horrible jobs....

That sounds awful!

For some reason it has a stigma (if thats the right word :unsure: ) with it and people don't seem to want to admit their yards are affected, whereas if everyone was honest and open it would make containing it a lot easier.

Grrr, I remember when we had strangles on our last yard. It was a nightmare - we were in isolation from the end of August to the middle of October. As there was only one horse in the yard with it, who happened to live next door to Blue, not only was the whole yard isolated, but our barn was isolated from the rest of the yard - we weren't allowed to use the menage or anything.

Think Blue is liking his exercises, he was mugging me as soon as I walked into his stable tonight :laugh: He seems to be getting the hang of them, but still finds it much easier bending to the right. Have cancelled my lesson tomorrow, as I don't think he'll be right. Had his feet done today and road nails put in, he seemed to slip less, and when I walked him up and down the hill from his stable, he didn't appear to drag his toe :unsure:

Grrr, I remember when we had strangles on our last yard. It was a nightmare - we were in isolation from the end of August to the middle of October. As there was only one horse in the yard with it, who happened to live next door to Blue, not only was the whole yard isolated, but our barn was isolated from the rest of the yard - we weren't allowed to use the menage or anything.

Think Blue is liking his exercises, he was mugging me as soon as I walked into his stable tonight :laugh: He seems to be getting the hang of them, but still finds it much easier bending to the right. Have cancelled my lesson tomorrow, as I don't think he'll be right. Had his feet done today and road nails put in, he seemed to slip less, and when I walked him up and down the hill from his stable, he didn't appear to drag his toe :unsure:

I there anywhere you can take him swimming? its meant to be very beneficial

How's Blue doing now?

Well we did it we completed our first BE event :biggrin: I walked the course on Friday and I had serious second thoughts about going, the showjumping course seemed massive (for us)I seemed to have missed that showjumps could be upto 95cms not 90 that I thought :rolleyes: XC course seemed very daunting too. I had sleepless nights over most of them but definately this one

Sheepfeeder.jpg

I was dissapointed with our dressage test, especially the way I rode the second half, it was not at all accurate! So wasn't surprised with a score of 36, but I was surprised that when I checked half way through the section it put us in 2nd place :ohmy:

I think a 3.5hr wait for showjumping didn't help but as ever our showjumping fell apart :rolleyes: Having watched quite a few people getting eliminated in other sections and a few falls I went in and probably overode it as bless him he did not look at any of the horrible fillers and for that reason alone I was so proud of him, we had 5 down but I started to relax towards the end and we cleared the last three fences :D

So onto xc and the aim was to finish more than anything else! But he felt so confident and focused we just flew around clear with only 1.2 time penalties. I think the only fence he really took a look at was a flower box, with 2012 spelt out in vegtables, thats the first fence you can see on the video, can't blame him he was probably hungry :laugh:

So two out of three isn't bad :biggrin: if we'd even managed just two fences down in showjumping we would have been in the top 10 which is pretty amazing of him :wub: