UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

Thank you for all your posts :flowers: Still very sad and a very big hole in our lives but the end was kinder than I'd feared.

Beginning to start making decisions about what to do next. I've made one decision (I think!): one option was to move Duke from the farm to a yard with an arena. He'd like the 'busyness' but it would mean giving up sole charge and being chief decision maker! Tonight though in the dark and looking at the stars :rolleyes: I decided I couldn't leave, it's our little oasis and it's home in a lot of ways.

Next decision then is what to do for company for Duke. Sheep or equine, livery or loan or rehome? So many horses needing homes but do I really have the resources for another of my 'own'. We are mad aren't we!

Anyway, what I wanted to say is: How is everyone doing?

Pablo is in the doghouse!!

We (OK my OH) has spent this morning emptying 3 stables, our two and a friends one. Pablo and an automatic waterer we have decided just do not mix. He has to fiddle and play with everything, he is worse than a toddler believe me. What he does is fills his bowl with hay soaks it and because of the weight of the hay, it keeps filling.As I have heard many times this morning, he is a "Dumme Pferd!!!" roughly translated a silly horse.

Steve has covered over his waterer, and we are going to have a big bucket for him. We had to sort it out before winter sets in and changes the "indoor swimming pools" for "indoor ice rinks"

Norty Pablo :laugh:

How is Duke coping Reds? Any luck with a companion yet :GroupHug:

I am having so many woes with Loki I can't bring myself to bore you with all the details, but any good thoughts would be appreciated :flowers: Next couple of days may bring some answers or then its onto xrays :rolleyes:

Clare I've been wondering about Loki ever since your last post about the splint etc. Really hope he is ok and the problems are not serious! :GroupHug:

Wanda is doing fine, she has completed her three weeks walk and walk/trot work. The vet saw her today and said I can begin to up the work but no canter work for another month, schooling has to be light and in big circles. Regrettably her hairy mammoth look is taking over so it's clipping very soon. We are going for a full clip for the first one and then a sort of racer for the second. Last year Wanda's 'leg warmers' were a sight to behold so they just have to come off. :biggrin:

YO Sam is just about suicidal now, her horse Obe is having kissing spines sugery next Wednesday and it's really scary! She is so worried about all the things it's natural to worry about but it doesn't make it any easier. Good vibes for Obe would be much appreciated!

Best thoughts for Obe and his Mum :GroupHug:

Clare, you can never bore us about Loki, please feel free to share all that's been happening?

What are you waiting to see? :GroupHug:

Thank you for asking about Duke. He is still not himself and is acting pretty insecure. Still on limited turnout because of the laminitis but sound and ok, just building his time back up. Moving up to 5 hours out a day next week. Still too skinny for my liking but vet said to maintain him as he is.

Going to see a 16 yr old ex-hunter chaser on Monday. Stable owner just wants a good home for him so he won't be wasted or left out. I've seen a very caring side of the racing industry. Hoping he's not grey.

Glad to hear Wanda is on the mend :wub: Keeping everything crossed for Obe :flowers:

Fingers crossed the hunter chaser fits the bill, my old boy was a HC he was a real gem (he was grey too :wub: ) my heart really goes out to Duke hope he can grow to love another friend :flowers:

Oh Loki where do I start! I thought things had been sorted before I went away but when I came back and rode out he felt awful, although not lame but a mum knows when things aren't right doesn't she :sleep:

His legs are still blowing up overnight fetlock and below and have been for a month now, but they go down after turnout, he is still short when he comes out of his stable in the morning, and after being girthed up, but this dissapears after a few strides.

Vet came out and found nothing and declared him sound, I then mentioned the pain the physio found in his wither and agreed he wasn't happy when that area was pressed.

He advised to get saddle checked, and get physio back out. Luckily I already had a saddler booked for a second opinion after the other one said saddle was fine. Turns out saddle is very tight, but not directly touching the wither, so probably not causing the problem but not helping either. He took the saddle away to take out the block and extra flocking he found in it, and came back today with it. It is better and will do for another month or so but basically he needs a new saddle :mecry:

Physio also came out today, found him sore but didn't feel the wither was the problem, more a result of something else, and she feels its his feet :wacko:

He has terrible feet and always has, I have been using this farrier since I moved in Feb, and thought his feet were looking okay, but they are splaying quite badly already and he has only just been shod, and not due until 20th Oct! The last thing my old farrier said was that I must get a farrier that could keep his feet together or he would be lame in six months, that was in Feb :huh:

I don't know whether to call my vet and get a recommendation from him, or go back to my old farrier and beg and see if he will come out to me to sort this out, but that won't be a long term solution and not even sure he would come out this far short term. Oddly enough I wasn't too happy with his shoeing the feet always looked long, but he was always sound.

If anyone has got through that ramble would love to hear your thoughts :flowers:

Oh dear Clare, I'm so sorry things are difficult for you and Loki. If his feet are splayed it will alter so much it will be hard to isolate what is going wrong and which is cause or effect. The balance of his feet being wrong will alter the breakover and the the incorrect angle of his feet could cause problems up into his shoulders and hips leading to back pain.

Would your vet refer Loki to a remedial farrier?

Please do let us all know how he goes on! :GroupHug: Wanda sends him a cyber carrot!

Clare, could your old farrier recommend a farrier close by?

When I asked back in Feb his said he couldn't recommend anyone in this area :(

I have spoken to him today and he has given me instructions on pictures to take to text him tonight and he will have a look, he didn't sound like he was planning to come to my rescue but at least I know I have tried and then I would just have to go on whoever my vet recommends (still waiting for him to call me back) :unsure: Of course he may say there is nothing wrong with them and we will be back to square one :wacko:

Sam I don't think I have that H&H edition but I do have the one before if thats any use, have you tried the website?

Duke and Loki are a pair with their feet aren't they :flowers:

It could be as simple as the colder nights so less circulation overnight. I guess the only thing really will be x-rays to rule out any bone changes. At least then you'll know what it isn't.

Huge hugs for all the worry and fear :GroupHug: :GroupHug: but at least you're there to notice everything with him :flowers: Lots of 'Get straight' wishes to Loki :wub: . You've both got your competition future to get back to, and your rewards to reap.

Good (for my confidence!) to hear your old boy was a HC and a gent, any photos?

The horse today was gorgeous, nice and big, lots of bone, and dark brown/black. People were fabulous and the field he was in was full of retired horses or horses that had been given to them because they have 'wonky' legs and can't be kept sound to race. Anyone in Cheshire area might know them. He's a horse with a great history and it will be a real privilege to look after him and maybe do some ridden showing. No shoes on as he's turned out so that eases my introduction fears. Hopefully he'll be coming 'home' on Saturday as my Dad is being brilliant and spending every spare minute doing up the yard and fences. I am so lucky.

Edited by reds