UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Snoopy Might Not Make It

susieq

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:jumpy: :jumpy: So glad that Snoopy has improved.

Asked my son what he used to feel like after he had had a fit. After saying, you really don't want to know!!! He reckons it is like the after effects of a bender down the pub, without the alcohol! Don't know if it would be the same for a dog, but it would explain a lot.

Still sending positive thoughts and :GroupHug: for you both.

Just giving Snoopy a break from cuddles and find all these messages of support. You really are very kind.

I didn’t know anything about fungal infection before this but apparently it can be extremely difficult to diagnose. He had a lot of tests for it earlier in the year and all the results came back negative.

He could have been transferred to another practice but I was told that they would probably only look in on him every hour or so. If he goes into continuous seizures again I have about twenty minutes to get him to a vet so I wanted him at home where I could watch him all night. The emergency vet has been notified that I may need them in the night and I’ve got tablet valium as a standby.

Yes it is Aspergillosis. I opted for tablet treatment first as the surgical procedure is so invasive. From what I can gather there’s not been a lot of change in the treatment of it over the years.

There has been a very slight improvement a few minutes ago, he pulled himself up onto his elbows, lifted his head, opened his eyes fully and had a little look around. Up until now he’s not been able to open his eyes at all. There was no recognition there, he still looked spaced out and he’s gone back to sleep now. Like I said, very slight.

SusieQ, I can really empathise with you :wub:

I am so pleased that Snoopy has made progress.

When my dear Florence had Aspergillosis she went through hell and I swear it was the tablet regime that killed her in the end :mecry:

I really don't want this to be depressing, I just want to share my experience of it with you and hope it will help in some way.

She was put on a drug called Nizoral which is used for fungal disease in humans and she had to have six times the human dose :ohmy:

The vet we used at the time told us it would cure her. When we went back to him when she was having side effects he changed that to an 80% chance of a cure. When I looked on the internet it said maybe a 50% chance! I was starting to get worried but he persuaded us to continue on a lower dose.

The side effects were awful. She went into liver failure and then her mouth was so badly inflamed(red raw) she couldn't eat for 4 days. She was prescribed steroids to deal with the inflammation which seemed to work but by then she had lost a third of her body weight. We managed to build her up over a period of 3 weeks and then she went for another check up. Two days later in the middle of the night she had a massive convulsion which lasted 40 minutes. The vet had already been called out to our house and got to us 10 minutes before she died. he wanted to pts there and then as he said she would be severely brain damaged but we said no hoping that she would get through it. She died through a suspected brain haemorrhage.

I still to this day think that the drugs she was on induced this.

She was only six years old at the time :mecry: :mecry:

I have never forgotten that experience and felt that we were mislead over the possible treatment options and feel she was used as some kind of experiment :mad:

Needless to say I never dealt with that vet again :mad:

Things sound more promising for Snoopy as he's managed to get through this far :)

I am sending lots more healing thoughts through to him and expect to hear some more good news in your next update :wub: :GroupHug: