UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Mooncups ( feminine hygiene product )

gooster

:laugh: I have a stitch from laughing soooo much :laugh: I've never had any kids so am delighting myself with the fact that despite that, and my nurse once telling me that she didn't know if i needed a large or small duck thingy to do my smear with (eeeek!), I actually am a small in this... which must be good... surely?!! :laugh:

I think it's a brill environmental idea... but trying desperately to think how i would whip that out and clean it in front of my neice (aged 3) who still insists on going to the loo when I got to the loo - i haven't yet managed to explain why i have a zip in my belly button and she hasn't (a piercing!!) - and surely if you pull the mooncup thingy out and it has suction doesn't it sort of come flying out with a sort of slurpy type action (and sound?! :o) like a sink plunger??? If so... isn't it terribly messy??? Oh my god i'm now imaging fanny farts.... :laugh:

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I wasn't well past the age of needing such items, I would definitely give it a try.

Many years ago, I was using the diaphragm contraceptive system. We were on our way home from holiday, my diaphagm was still in place and unknown to me, my period started while we were on our journey. I only discovered it when I got home & I removed my diaphragm. Basically, the result, I assume, was similar to using a Mooncup. I thought at the time, that would be a good idea rather than tampons etc. Maybe that's what happened to the woman who invented them :unsure:

Cindere, you could have been rich by now!

I was thinking that too!

They sound great, but I'm not sure I'm brave enough to try one. I'd be scared of it getting stuck or it falling out. I'm sure they're not meant to fall out but what if I didn't put it in properly and it toppled :unsure: .

I was just looking for the link for cotton tampons that are more environmentally friendly but the place I have bought them from isn't listing them anymore.

I must say I panicked when I went from sanitary towels to tampons, thinking how that stayed in, so a mooncup is a good idea.

Thank you for telling us about them. The companies only advertise sanitary towels and tampons, so I thought that was all there was available.

I think I will wait for the fellow Fugees to get theirs and try them first. :unsure: They seem like a good idea though. Id just be worried about going out and having to hide a bottle of water to clean it. I wouldnt like to think of it making a noise in the loos when being removed to empty. :ohmy: I dont use a handbag, and its easy to hide a tampon in my jeans pocket.

I have never heard of mooncups before reading this thread, they sound lke a good idea. I have always resented the amount I spend on tampons & sanitary towels! Thanks for enlightening me - must confess I did think this was a wind-up for a while though!!

Sherlock Bones, how did you explain changing a tampon or towel in front of your niece? Why should it be any different? At 3 she won't have any embarrassment about it. :)

I used a Keeper which is basically the same thing. It didn't make a noise when you take it out, any more than a tampon would. They are a bit fiddly to get the hang off, in the same way that tampons are.

If you are caught when you are out and about you can rinse it out in a (clean :rolleyes: ) toilet, and then use a tampon. (Personally, I wouldn't want to use it again until has been washed properly). They come with a little waterproof pouch to keep it in and they fold flat to go in a pocket.

Well i haven't explained it... cos it's discrete isn't it.. sort of not obvious what you're doing... not sure washing something like this out is quite as discrete - though obviously not a problem forever cos hopefully she'll get bored with visits to the loo beyond aged 3!

Why aren't things like this more publicised? They've obviously been around for a while now but loads of us don't know about them...

I used a Keeper which is basically the same thing. It didn't make a noise when you take it out, any more than a tampon would. They are a bit fiddly to get the hang off, in the same way that tampons are.

If you are caught when you are out and about you can rinse it out in a (clean :rolleyes: ) toilet, and then use a tampon. (Personally, I wouldn't want to use it again until has been washed properly). They come with a little waterproof pouch to keep it in and they fold flat to go in a pocket.

I've never had a noisy tampon :huh: [i really must have something wrong with my bits, no noise and no uncomfy tampons]

I thought the point of these things [or one of them] was that they eliminated the need to have to carry sanitary towels and tampons around with you. :unsure:

Sherlock your fanny farts comment made me laugh out loud. :laugh:

I've never had a noisy tampon :huh: [i really must have something wrong with my bits, no noise and no uncomfy tampons]

That was my point :) Some girls do worry that tampons will make a noise when they are removed, because they fit snugly and are essentially water tight, so they worry that it will make a 'slurp' noise when it is removed, but anyone who uses them knows they don't.

When I was a kid I did find tampons quite awkward and uncomfortable at first. It took a bit of getting used to. There is a definite knack to putting them in, and I had to figure that out. I'm sure that's not the case for everyone, but I bet I wasn't the only one either.

I thought the point of these things [or one of them] was that they eliminated the need to have to carry sanitary towels and tampons around with you. :unsure:

It is, and with a bit of thought it would be perfectly possible to use them and nothing else. If you are out you can just take a small bottle of water with you for rinsing. Also, they don't need changing nearly as frequently as towels or tampons (just a few times a day, because they don't cause TSS and menstrual blood doesn't come into contact with the air until it's removed, so there is minimal risk from bacteria etc.) so in most cases you wouldn't even need to remove it while you were out.

But I was talking about how I used them. I used the keeper probably 90% of the time, but sometimes it was more convenient to use regular tampons. I know that's not ideal, but it was a trade off for me, and I was happy enough with that balance.

In other areas of my life I probably only recycle 3/4 of the paper, cans, etc. that I could, I only compost about 1/2 of what I could, and I only a grow a tiny fraction of our veg. I have lots of room for improvement, but it's better than nothing. So in those terms, I managed to drastically reduce the amount of sanitary products I dumped in landfills (or flushed to pollute waterways). That's how it worked for me. YMMV of course. :)

:laugh: :laugh: @ Chuff twitcher!! :laugh:

I'm intrigued by these now, strikes me that we don't need to spend a fortune on sanpro products, and it's all just clever marketing :angry:

As an aside, want to know the most profitable words shampoo companies ever came up with?

"Rinse, and repeat" Thus, we all use double the amount of shampoo we need :ohmy:

I think I'll consider one of these Mooncups, would be interested to hear what all the people who have just bought one think once they've tried it...

(I do have visions of someone getting confused and trying to use it to down sambuca :D )