UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Mooncups ( feminine hygiene product )

gooster

My first thought was "No thanks, yuk" but I might look again when I am not eating.

Mel made me snort diet coke up my nose :angry: :laugh: :laugh:

:laugh: @Scooby dobie lurking too

Sam, do you know what the stickers are? :unsure:

In the testimonials, a few people are asking for more stickers :wacko:

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've found a better method. Depo provera. No monthlies for 3 years now :biggrin:

Woman after me own heart!!

A friend of mine uses one and swear by it but after a blow by blow account of how it works to myself and two other girlfriends, we were all very :ohmy: :huh:

And vowed not to try one!

They have two sizes, one larger for slack faj mothers like me (said tongue in cheek!!) :laugh:

But I think this would be more appropriate, as apparently the Mooncup relies on your vaginal muscles holding it in place (my pelvic floor can't hold in my water never mind a bucket)

RB5644-small-water-bucket.jpg

Edit: Of course I was stitched like a virgin after my three, honest guv.

I've tried a Keeper, which is a similar sort fo thing I think. They were OK, but you had to have a sink in the same room as your loo for them to work. No good in public/communal/work loos really. They are great if you are going backpacking, etc, for a long while. Easier than packing months worth of supplies, it can be surprisingly difficult to track stuff down in some countries.

Then again, I've not needed any of it for a long while either. I was on the Depo for a couple of years, and then moved to implants. I'm on my 3rd implant now so I've been trouble free for over 15 years :D (except for a 6 month gap between Depo and my first implant). I need to get it replaced this year cod they only last 3 years now instead of 5.

Oh blimey theres another reason not to use one then. I don;t know what I thought held it in place [magic maybe] but if it needs good pelvic floor control I'm screwed. You think you're bad Kathy, have a gander at this and think of me :(

barrel%20DUN_903431422624_0041.jpg

I dont think a mooncup is for me :huh: You say they're more comfortable than a tampon but I've never had an uncomfortable tampon :unsure: [maybe my flue is like a bucket or something] they maye be more environmentally freindly but I'm far more concerned about the other things destroying the environment than I am sanitary products.

I am also concerned about other things destroying the environment , that does not stop me doing small personal things like recycling paper, composting or using an environmentally friendly cleaner, my choice of sanitary product is the same really a small contribution by an individual.

I am not telling anyone else want products to use, I highlighted an alternative on another thread this morning that lead to this thread being started

There is a heck of a lot of advertising by feminine product manufacturers to make woman feel that conventional products like towels and tampons are the only options and for some people they may be , but they do have a cost in both monetary and environmental terms and there are other options that are suitable for some women ( if only they knew about them )

Gemnstone, The stickers carry advertisements for the product with the website details on

Sam

:huh: I thought this was a wind up!

Ive never seen anything like that in my life, Ive been on the website for ages, its fasinating :biggrin:

I dont know if Id like the idea of collecting the blood in a cup, and what happens if you want to do handstands, mmmm? :unsure:

It seems a good idea though. I was really interested in reading it all, and I went through the menopause 9 years ago :laugh:

From Friends of the Earth:

SANITARY PROTECTION

The use of sanitary products can have damaging effects on the environment. This is coupled with the potential threat that the toxins in disposable sanitary products can pose to a woman's health.

Toxic Shock Syndrome (TSS) is a blood infection which can be developed from wearing tampons. 99% of TSS cases are found in women wearing rayon-blend tampons which are the most common kind. If this is something which you are worried about, then you should perhaps consider switching to Natracare which does 100% cotton tampons which may be safer. Another thing which you should be aware of is that although the super absorbent polyacrylate gel AGM was banned from tampons in 1995 due to its links with TSS, it is still used in some towels. The main safety issue in connection with this is that women may change gel-filled towels less often because of their absorbency levels, which could cause build-up of bacteria.

The Women’s Environmental Network has campaigned to get tampons and towels made from GM cotton. The organisation is concerned about potential alterations in absorbency levels increasing the risk of TSS and about the potential transfer of antibiotic resistance marker genes. Wearing disposable sanitary products risks putting toxins next to your skin or vaginal tissue. Some residues such as pesticides and dioxins from the bleaching process have been linked to birth defects, reproductive disorders and cancer.

The disposal of sanitary products can cause a great deal of harm to the environment. The flushing of sanitary protection waste means that much of it ends up in rivers and sewage outfills, acting as a breeding ground for diseases. Otherwise, it festers in landfill sites where it takes six months for a tampon to degrade. The best environmental option would be to use reusable sanitary protection such as the Keeper, washable sanitary towels and sponges. The most ethical brands of sanitary protection include Lotus Pads, Luna Sponges and Many Moons. More well-known brands such as Always and Tampax unfortunately do not have such good ethical records.