UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

July Already!

Jazz

Ancestry use their own database and you get a genetic background report purporting to show where your ancient ancestors were from. I don't know how accurate that part is. There are mixed reviews on the internet.

A friend got her results a couple of years ago and she was disappointed with the lack of detail. 

The second part shows if you are related to anyone else who has researched their family tree on Ancestry.

I only got it because there was an offer giving a sizeable reduction on the cost. I don't have high hopes for the results but I shall let you all know in due course - there is a 6 to 8 week wait for results and I haven't even sent my sample off yet.

17 minutes ago, griff said:

See that's the bit that troubles me Yantan... The part that shows if you are related to anyone else...I wouldn't like for Steve's relatives to try finding him if he doesn't want to be found (if you get what I mean)

You don't have to put that level of information in your profile though Griff. I have a user name and that's all another member sees. Any contact is done via Ancestry via a direct message and then only if you agree others may contact you. They don't give your email out. Also there may be no relatives of Steve's in the Ancestry database in which case it would be a waste of money. In any case, even in the event of a match, the relationship may be very distant.

The friend I mentioned earlier only got one match but since then, as others advance their researches and take the DNA test, she's been matched with 3 or 4 more but all the relationships are distant. 

I already know that I share a lot of ancestors with other users so it will be interesting to see if we are truly genetically related. There's always the chance that a named father isn't the natural father! 

Sorry. I've waffled on.

Family history is so fascinating though Yantan. I just found out that in the grave Dad and Peggy's ashes are being interred is also my Granddad's illegitimate sister. I'd never heard of her before - none of us had - but my cousin who is good on geneology did a bit of digging and found out the back story. Seems it caused a bit of a rumpus with my Granny when my Grandad had her buried in the family plot. They never had two pennies to rub together all their lives but somehow they got the money together to purchase a family plot in the cemetery and pay for the burial of their young son who died aged 7 and the illegitimate sister.

Crikey... families are sooooo shady lol! 

I have just asked Steve if he would like to know where he comes from...not his dad as I know where he is but if he is Celtic etc...he said nope, makes no odds to him, lucky I didn't buy the kit

Thanks Marion for your offer to find his past but he is a bit like me...not that enamoured with the lot he has let alone looking at the past lol

Was norty... really norty, I went to the pub lol

Trying for healthy eating last night, had Mediterranean roast veg with our roast chicken.  Mistake on my part, there must have been onion I hadn't noticed...onion doesn't agree with me, to put it mildly.  I think I got about an hour's sleep all night, absolutely awful pains in my stomach.  That'll teach me, I'll stick to peas or carrots in future!

My knee is a bit better thanks Yantan, but the other leg is still a nightmare, I'm starting to get quite worried.  I thought if it was muscular it would  be recovering by now, but it seems to be getting worse.  Took a codeine this morning, see if that does anything.

just been to Tesco with lewis. just as I locked the door, my parcel came. I wasn't going to buy from the cheap shop again, so just put it all away. Tesco just put the reduced out so bought meat for the week for a fiver.

my home phone has decided to tell me if ive missed a call, but the number it shows, I answered, so don't know if it was the doctor