UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

December's Ooh My Back, My Belly And My Two Sides

Yantan

Not too long after my last post Archie became unresponsive and we really thought he was dying in front of our eyes. I rang the vets and they said to take him in straight away. Ruby picked his lead up as a reflex action really and Archie's head popped up. He wobbled his way onto his legs and wobbled down the garden to the car. Ruby picked him up and put him in the car and sat in the back with him. He was shaking and very wobbly but fairly responsive.

The vet said he'd see him as we were there anyway if we gave him a few moments to finish a surgery. Not a problem for us!

He gave Archie a really good examination. He's fairly sure Arch is not in any physical pain or discomfort but after observing him walking around and getting stuck in corners and not reacting much to us the vet said he had the dogs version of Alzheimers. We've been pretty sure Archie has had this for a while so it came as no surprise. It has just got worse these past few days. The unresponsiveness was most likely him just having "a moment" and shutting off. Even sticking turkey under his nose provoked no reaction.

So the vet has prescribed some tablets to try and increase the blood to the brain. They work for some dogs but not for all. The vet said if we got just a 10 to 15% improvement in Archie it might be enough to make his life a bit brighter. However he warned the end is in sight now and it will be down to us to say when enough becomes enough because physically Archie may still be doing OK.

Archie came home, wolfed a big dish of turkey, wandered about getting stuck in front of furniture and corners before sinking down on the sitting room mat in the most uncomfortable looking position. Ruby lifted him up and put him in his Orvis bed and within seconds he was asleep and is still there looking most content.

He's started his meds and if they are going to work we should see an improvement by the time the weekend is over. Continued good thoughts for him would be most appreciated.

ill be thinking of him xx

little girl was used by a back yard breeder till she couldnt get pregnant any more, then he used her as a punchbag. went to 2 old ladies with no mobility, had her a year, so rung a groomer on christmas day wanting to get rid. groomer took her. rescue is picking her up tomorrow to bring her here

Continued good thoughts for Archie. Hope the meds help him a bit.

I'm sure the little shih tzu will blossom with you and the gang Jazz.

They've decided my dad doesn't have an infection and was just dehydrated. He kept pulling his canula out so they've stopped the IV and are putting him on oral meds and trying to get him to drink more fluids. Hope they're right.

Poor little girl. I know we shouldn't come down to their level but I think I could really give people who are cruel to animals a good kicking.

Archie is still sleeping soundly in the new bed and looks so cosy.

Griff it's vivitonin he's on.

And just to make this day even better than it was I happened to look out of the window to see a rat feeding on my bird table! I phoned the council pest department but they are on holiday until after New Year. I went out and removed all the feeders and table and dug the soil over as I couldn't pick up the bits of seed under the table.

It was funny because after I filled everything up on Christmas morning and noticed later that no birds had been so I mentioned it to Ruby. They had been coming regularly all through the day, every day, until then. They are still in the big bay tree because we hear them singing but just not coming for food. Poor things.

Prior to removing everything I watched the rat run off into next door's garden. This is her that had the mouse infestation earlier this year and didn't bother getting anyone in to deal with it. Her house is manky inside. And of course remember our dead rat smell? I know the house at the other side of our neighbour and the holiday home next to that heard things pitter pattering in their attics and we were told that the holiday home owner had put poison down which was probably the cause of our dead rat odour. We inspected our attic and saw no signs of anything - no chewing, no foot prints even after putting flour down but obviously something got in somewhere to die and make that awful stink.

Meg's problem has been a sudden fear of squeaky noises. Her very thorough behaviourist has decided that its probably down to to what she calls cognitive decline. A combination of vivitonin and Aktivait has definitely helped, although there is still the odd meltdown over odd noises on the tv.

We saw more improvement when we started the aktivait on top of the vivitonin, which from memory was a couple of weeks later.

We've also swapped to feeding all of Meg's food from kong type toys, to keep her brain busy. It does mean that half the house if full of trip hazards, but has had the added benefit of reducing the episodes of Meg's tummy gurgling (which also was a worrying noise to her).

Keeping my fingers crossed for Archie!

• Like 1

Hope the vivitonin works. Have heard only good things about it.

Was going to ask about bird feeding habits. We have no rats, that I'm 100% sure of, but the starlings and many of the sparrows seem to have stopped coming to our feeders. A couple of weeks ago you couldn't actually see the feeders with the amount of birds hanging off them and I was constantly topping everything up. Now they're barely touched. According to the RSPB site UK sparrows and starlings don't migrate but they've definitely migrated out of my garden. Just the bluetits and robins seem to turn up. And a couple of pigeons and magpies in the back garden

Mice with our bird feeders

Jazz, didn't see my consultant but a fellow from some place or other...very nice man...he asked to look at my feet...not to unusualmy consultant does it but...he looked at my feet and asked does anyone in my family have breast cancer??? I have bunions and said I was born with them, I can't find any mention of feet and breast cancer...he obviously knows something I do not! And yes there is breast cancer on both sides, I knew I was at high risk of bladder cancer and stomach cancer but did make me laugh looking at my feet and the mention of breast cancer...he checked my lymph things and was happy enough. I legged it without my blood forms though, and he has told my GP to give me my tablets for my tummy and has given me a course of antivirals too. There was blood in my urine again..not surprised