UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

November's Normal Niggles

merledogs

Suzeanna :GroupHug:

I hope Nog is ok :GroupHug:

Got home to find a lovely card from Zooey's vet. I was feeling rather upset with him, as he's bit useless on the people interaction part of his job and managed to piss me off with what I felt was a rather insensitive phone call a few hours after Zooey died, but what he wrote in the card was really touching and I'm now feeling less upset. Griff, it must be something to do with cardiologists - I know this guy is a good vet, but I just never could get on with him. Fingers crossed for Diez :flowers:

Yeah we stopped off at Tesco on the way back to buy him a load of stuff for the weekend lol cottage cheese, chicken roll, fish fingers, eggs and rice pudding.

His weight loss was only 500gms which astonished me looks like more to me but thats pointies for you I guess they dont carry much spare flesh. No temperature, and his tummy was not tender so at the moment she thinks he might have an ulcer or he may have had a bug which has left his system out of sorts.
He's been taken off his previcox for now and switched to tramadol plus he's got zitac and antepsin to settle the stomach acid. It could be that the previcox have caused an ulcer (thankfully at the moment she doesnt think its pancreitis or diabetes based on his symptoms) or it could be that when he hurt his neck and got himself all stressed out he inflamed his stomach and decided that eating meant a tummy ache so he decided not to eat unless it was something very very yummy or he was really really hungry - but not eating is just as bad for him as there is no food in the stomach to digest which then causes heartburny type discomfort so he eats grass to throw up and get rid of the acid and it sets up a bit of a vicious circle.
So the plan is to treat the acid with the zitac and antepsin, control any pain with the tramadol, feed bland foods over the weekend and try and get him interested in eating again properly and see how he is on Monday.
Of course the problem now is that the antepsin is to be given an hour before food - but he'll only take the tramadol and zitac with food .... this will be fun lol

Good thoughts for Suzeanna, Nog and Diez xxx

The owlery electrics will run from mum's mains, and that will not make it a permanent structure. Lots of garden sheds have electric points. It will probably be similar to a caravan arrangement, I will leave it to the electrician. I expect I will have a portaloo, though I do like to go and check on mum during the night.

Snow, when diez was on antepsin i used to set my alarm an hour earlier than i wanted to get up and pop the antepsin down her throat and then snuggle in bed for an hour, that meant when we got up there was no hanging about she could have her brekkie straight off, i used to do the same in the afternoons, she had her dinner at 5pm so set an alarm for 4pm

mornin

got up in the night for a wee, looked at my phone, read an email saying a kindle fire has been shipped! thought my son had ordered it, so up, coffee and bikkies, to read all about it on the laptop ..... it was an advert, they are being shipped for xmas! I wasnt happy

so up for a few hours. eventually got back to bed, but up now for the day

im tired

have a nice day xxx

Phebe - has mum got an outdoor tap in the right direction? If so maybe you could put a drainpipe underground with a hose in it (so safe from squashing, chewing by mice etc and hopefully not likely to freeze) to a point by the owlery where there could be an insulated water butt ...... and caravan electric pump etc (or even a Whale foot pump) to get you running water indoors there ..... no fixed supply for anyone to whinge about

• Like 1

Owl would a baby monitor work for listening out for mum?

Georgina that's what my friend did for her water supply when she was living in a static caravan in a field next to her parent's home. It worked pretty well apart from on really cold days when the water would freeze in the hose at the point between the ground and the caravan because she couldn't insulate it enough.

Poor Nog! I hope he starts feeling better soon. Archie gets acid and it's worse when he won't eat and he won't eat because he's got acid!

Yes, I will be having a baby monitor, and as for running water, I don't need it. It's so close to the kitchen that setting up water from outside tap is not worth the bother. I can have a kettle and water container if I want, for a hot drink in the night.

Hope Nog is feeling better soon :flowers:

My boss at my employed position spoke to me yesterday to tell me that as she is going quieter on the home visits, she has decided to drop me down to one day a week and she is going to take over my Wednesday :( As I am employed there, I am not sure where she stands legally on this, so I have asked a couple of friends who know about employment law. If she can drop me one day, there is nothing to stop her dropping my other day. The way she thinks about it, she probably wouldn't pay me redundancy. If she wants me on a Locum basis, that's fine, but she'll have to pay me Locum rates (double the employed rate usually). She can't have her cake and eat it :angry:

Have you been there longer than two years Jayne? Have a look here for advice. Hope you can manage to find some other work for that day. If you do and if they are paying double, then if she did terminate you for the other day, would you need to work the other day?

Felt guilty this morning. I was chatting to a woman with a rescue BC called Milly :wub: and because I was distracted I didn't see a bloke coming up the path with a nervous pointy dog on lead. By the time I saw him, my dogs were running over to greet him and when they got to him, the poor dog slipped its collar and ran off. Thankfully it was nowhere near a road and the dog ran a short distance away then stopped. I got my lot on lead and apologised to the bloke, who thankfully got his dog back on lead but understandably wasn't happy.

Owl I see you have everything covered. I'm sorry if it seems like we have been bugging you over set up of the pod :flowers: You've been very patient answering all our suggestions. I think we all want the best for you and just can't help ourselves.

Alex these things happen and it's not as though you let your gang bug other dogs on a regular basis :GroupHug: We all drop the ball from time to time.

Jayne I hope you get that situation sorted out. It does seem a little mean of her to treat you that way :GroupHug:

Thanks Alex, have only been there 18 months, so won't get entitlement to redundancy till next May anyway. I would be better off doing full time locumming, but I liked the security of guaranteed money every month from an employed position. Locum days are few and far between at this end of the year, so it's nice to have guaranteed money. Having said that, in the busier months, I could probably work 5 days a week no problem (then I can afford to have a quiet December). I am away for the middle 2 weeks in January anyway, so will be looking at replacing the day from February onwards, which is when business starts to pick up again on the Locum side. She would steal the day off me when I can have a lie in too (I work 11-7 on a Wednesday!) :rolleyes: :laugh:

I need a new bed. The one I've got is an Ikea one and I've had it over 10 years, so knowing the 'quality' of Ikea stuff, I'm amazed it's lasted this long. Went to put my knee on it the other night to get in and the side of the bed collapsed and can't really be mended. I need a new mattress as well. I've been looking at beds online. Why is it that the one you like most is always the most expensive? :rolleyes:

I'm dithering between this one from Loaf ...

130589-bemrg-2-1291.jpg

...and this one from Heirloom Beds (but in Walnut).

CRW_7034_1.jpg

I prefer the top one but it's nearly £900 and that's before delivery, more than I've ever spent on a piece of furniture before (even on plastic). And then I'd have to buy a mattress on top!

Edited by merledogs

Think I may wait until after Christmas and see if either of them are reduced. I can dismantle the one I've got and sleep on the mattress on the floor in the meantime.

In the meantime I've decamped to the other side of the bed, which Timmy and Taffy think is theirs. Last night Timmy came and squeezed in the tiny area between me and the bedside table and then tried to stretch out to push me over to the other side, but I wasn't falling for his strong arm tactics :laugh: Taffy tried to lie down on my legs, but I shoved him off, to much grumbling :wub: Eventually they got that they were now sleeping on the other side.

• Like 1