UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

November's Naughty Natterings

merledogs

Steph - we are still awaiting your onsie picture :wink:

I have a onsie and I love it, perfect for camping in cold weather :)

Have done another tone and shape class this week, after being unable to walk normally for 5 days after the last one, I had my reservations about doing another one, but I have to say, I really enjoyed it! AND I got praise from the gorgeous instructor :biggrin:

• Like 1

Back from the auction and very relieved at the result, I've had several sleepless nights worrying about it, the thing is that this was the "bulk" lot, lots of china & porcelain, antique linen, glasses, mustard pots etc. we didn't put a reserve on it which is why I was second guessing myself, I would not have been happy if it had gone for below estimate and tbh even the lower estimate was less than I thought the stuff was worth, but the thing was that I simply didn't have room for it all here and everyone in the family had taken the bits they wanted and anything of sentimental value and this was what was left over. I thought the low estimate was too low, so I have been tossing and turning thinking maybe I should have put a reserve on but at the same time thinking wtf would I do with it all if it didn't reach the reserve etc. This stuff was not the stuff that was properly valuable - those go in the fine art auction in 2 weeks time, this was what was left. As our lot approached I was watching other mixed lots go for below estimates so was feeling a bit anxious, especially when he opened the bidding below the low estimate which made me think we wouldn't reach the top estimate which I felt was about what I would feel happy for it to go for - I needn't of worried though bidding was brisk and we sailed past top estimate, it finished at £170 which I was pretty happy with.

I didn't register to bid on our own stuff but I've been to auctions before and not registered then regretted it after seeing something go for a pittance that I'd have loved to have got so I always register now "just in case" as it turned out there was nothing in this sale I was interested in at all, I suspect the next one is the one which will tempt me big time, however I also suspect that I won't be able to afford to bid on anything at that one lol we have a load of silver in that sale and some quite rare Worcester miniature pots and it all has reserves on so I'm not worrying about that one at all, very much looking forward to it apparently theres 1000 lots!

Sounds good, snow. I love auctions but have to have hands tied behind back or am inclined to buy weird stuff.

Chloe appears to have moved into an old kennel in garden next door but one! Total of 3 sightings today. We are getting ready to trap.

Edited by owl
  • Like 2

After my mother died and I moved into her cottage, I sold a lot of things which really I should have researched more thoroughly, and I'm sure I lost a lot of money. I wasn't really thinking clearly, she died, I left my husband and my head was everywhere. A couple of larger items did go to a sales room, but dealers came and looked at things like silver snuff boxes, icons, very old books, paintings etc and I know now looking back I was royally ripped off. Hope your next sale goes really well.

Steph - we are still awaiting your onsie picture :wink:

I shall attempt them tonight, I got distracted last night as I got Evanescence tickets last minute at a bargain and couldn't really say no ^_^

Another shift of heavy labour in work today, thankfully tomorrow is a chushy programming shift so I get to sit on my butt :laugh:

Edited by kittycat

Suzeanna the same thing happened to me after my nanna died (she brought me up so was more like a mum to me) I'm sure I got fleeced on the contents of her china cabinet.

Cara and Ian have been here this afternoon and introduced me to their baby, Evie. What a gorjuss little tot she is. I held her for a good half hour and she never made a peep! Ian was good enough to take Archie for a walk with Sadie. He said both dogs were so excited to see each other and really enjoyed themselves.

With mums stuff everything that had any value had been listed by her in a little book that I have, it has a description of the item and it's date, the price she paid for it and when she got it etc. the thing is though that she obviously bought at retail prices from antique fairs and shops plus over the years some of it is no longer quite as sought after as it was when she got it, so it's gone down in value rather than up. Being ripped off was what was bothering me, I knew that at auction I was only going to get back a fraction of what she'd paid for some of the items, and we'd split up a lot of the "sets" because I had asked everyone to chose a piece they liked and have it as a memento of mum, we deliberately didn't look at the book until after everyone had chosen the pieces they wanted so that no one knew if they were choosing something valuable in monetary terms or not, they chose what they chose because they liked it and because it reminded them of mum.

The silver I knew had increased in value, the estimate we've been given is purely based on the scrap value of the actual silver rather than the age or pattern of the individual items etc. so it may well go for a lot more than the top estimate depending upon how sought after some of the bits are.

The Worcester miniatures mum actually bought very cheaply and those have hugely increased in demand and thus value so those also are in the fine art auction in 2 weeks time.

• Like 2

Ooo errr I apprently attacked Rob in my sleep last night :confused: I woke up to find him yelping & grabbing my arms as I'd scratched him all down his shoulder and arm - I did this once before about 12 years ago that time I actually scratched his face and drew blood! Luckily this time it wasn't his face but I have left my mark on his shoulder :ohmy: I have NO idea what on earth I was dreaming about I wasn't even aware I was doing it. :confused: